Beatification | Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This beer is very unique and inspired by breweries in the Lambic region of Belgium and, especially, our friends at Cantillon. It is 100% spontaneously fermented, meaning yeast is not added. Once the beer is brewed, it is transferred to a cool-ship or “horny” tank located in our barrel room at the pub. There it sits overnight and collects whatever funky wild yeast and bacteria may be living in the room. The next day it is transferred to oak wine barrels where it ferments wildly and ages for a few months. The end result is a wild, spontaneously fermented, sour, and tasty hand-crafted beer!

Added by hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 555 | Ratings: 2,609
4.5/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to colonelforbin for this one!

Batch 003 opens with a slight pop, pours an effervescent golden honey color with a pinky of ivory colored head. Not much head retention or lacing

S: Sourness, hay & barnyard in this, just intensifies as this warms

T: Lemon tartness, green apple sourness & a bit of hay up front. Tartness, green apples oakyness & lemon & hay are all there as this warms. Finishes with puckery tartness, oaky dryness, a bit of balsamic vinegar acidity & sooo much sourness

MF: Light/medium bodied with slight carbonation & much dryness

Drinks very easy, always happy to try anything from these guys, I think I prefer these heavier & darker for optimal effect, none of the RR sours are slouches though. If you like big-time funk & sourness, this is your huckleberry...

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Big thanks to Nanobrew and FosterJM for this one!

A: Slight pop when the cork came off. Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white, fizzy head on top. Pretty good retention with sporadic lacing that doesn't last too long.

S: Fantastic tartness. Some peach, lemon, apricot, and white grapes. Nice citrus fruits and some nice barnyard funk that blends nicely with the fruit/tartness.

T: Has a very gueuze like flavor, lots of tart lemon and some apricot. Underneath there is some tart green apple and more white grapes. Very mouth puckering and it is amazing.

M: Medium bodied, great level of carbonation. Very tart/acidic, but I am really liking it.

O: Simply put, amazing. One of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Great flavor and extremely tart.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Wow, what can I say about this, I have been waiting to try this one for what seems like forever. Almost impossible to get a bottle of Batch 001, so I just waited it out and received my Batch 002 supply yesterday. Wasting no time at all I threw one in the fridge and let it chill down to a respectable temperature before pulling it out at about 9:00pm last night. The 375,l corked and caged bottle looked wonderful and I practically started drooling before I could even get it open. Needless to say I grabbed the closest snifter I could and found my new Belgium one and slowly poured the contents inside....

Appearance - A slow pour, being careful not to disturb the sediment left the most hazy golden, amber colored liquid imaginable. No head at all on this, well minimal at best with just a slight quarter inch layer of white coming across the top, good news was that it never did get any lower then that. Great side glass presentation on this one as nice silky smooth looking, cascading layers of white fizz, almost looking like sea spray just swirled around the sides of the glass. Some light carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom throughout the session. As would be expected there was a bit of yeast sitting at the bottom of the glass after it settled. I was impressed but what would happen next would be off the chart....

Smell - The aroma was simply to die for. I love me some Brett, but this was literally taking it to a whole new level. I knew this would be nice, but my wife chuckled as I sat there for an hour sniffing this, as if...well you could imagine. Just the most grand, funkified, tart, sour, vinegar like smell you could come across, but in a good way. Rich and complex there seemed to literally be no end in sight for the depth of this one. Towards then end of the session, I may have just gotten used to the funky sour Brett, when I noticed some light fruit maybe coming into play, this was like a fine wine almost in aroma, I mean just insanely good. I am almost speechless, but I had to eventually stop smelling it and actually try it....

Taste - If I thought it smelled good, I do not even know how to put into words the flavor of this one. It was just wonderful. Started out with a full on assault of sour, Brett funk, that rolled through the mouth, sucking up and puckering anything that it came in contact with, but once it got past, it opened you up to a whole world of woody flavors that were hidden underneath. There was some light fruitiness of some sour, perhaps grapes, or green apples, that you could start to pick up as it rolled along, and there was a touch of sweetness there as well. This was not entirely unbalanced, far from it. In fact I think if you do not let this one warm up a bit, you are really cheating yourself out of how good it could be. It was remarkable in hour tart it was but just how well it blended. The finishing notes were really starting to show hints of the barrel aging, with nice wood notes coming through and it really getting a nice earthy feel to it.

Mouthfeel - Such a wonderfully rich and complex taste, would be nothing without the accompanying good feel. And, this one did not disappoint in any way. Nice medium bodied ale, there was more then adequate carbonation put through on this one. It never did get flat, or dull in any way, in fact it seemed to get better as the session wore on. Silky smooth in its consistency, I was in love with this one right away.

Drinkability - In a word it was outstanding, the flavors were so rich and complex that I literally could not stop sipping on this one if I tried. The feel so delicate and smooth that I literally just let it sit there and roll around to absorb the most out of it that I could. This was truly remarkable in every possible way.

Overall I was simply blown away by this one. It was easily the best sour ale I have ever had, and easily one of the best beers I have ever had hands down. I can now see why people rave about this one as much as they do, it really is that good. It has a light texture to it that is unmatched, and the Brett, is just perfect. Go out and get this if you are a fan of the style, if its not your thing, and you do not like the style, you are not going to like this, it's the epitome of the style. Simply astounding.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I tried this on tap at Russian river

The color is golden with great clarity and thin white head that collapses. The smell is fainlty citrus with funky lemon lactic yet slight floral aroma with mild wood. The feel has a great balance of sourness with a light sweetness and dry quality in the finish.

The flavor is a mildly sour yet enjoyable lemony tart mixed with a woody tannic flavor and some malt toward the back. This was a great treat I can't wait to have this again.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

A bottle from Batch 002 opened up by Bobby yesterday during our tasting (you can never have too many Russian River wild ales).

A: A disappointingly quiet popping of the cork on this bottle. Despite that, the beer seems to still be fairly well carbonated. The pour itself is a hazy light golden color with a thin white head.

S: The nose is still very, very acidic. The lemony, lactic tartness is really the star of the show with some white grapes and green apple notes as well. There's really not much in the way of funk, but that's not really a problem for me.

T: The flavor picks up where the nose leaves off with a really intense lemon sourness. There are some flavors of green apple and white grape as the nose would indicate, but this bottle is not quite as puckering as others I've had.

M: The level of carbonation is just about perfect, with great effervescence really allowing the acid to really come through. The finish is very sour and dry, as you would expect.

D: I've always been a huge fan of the intense sourness that Beatification has, and this is no exception. I always enjoy the opportunity to open up a bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

From 04/14/12 notes. Thanks to everyone who brought this to our DC Sour Tasting; never had it and have wanted to for a while. Got to sample a near vertical, as we had batched 1, PH1, 2, 3, and 4 side by side. I found batches 1 and PH1 very different fro the rest, as they were much sweeter then the others, and found batch 2 to be the sourest, almost too sour. Batch 3 was amazing and my favorite, so the one I'm reviewing. My order went:

3, Ph1, 1, 2, 4

a - Pours a transparent golden color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart cherries, sour fruits, citrus, lemon, oak, fruity malts, very acedic. Awesome nose, with just a ton of sour fruits.

t - Tastes of very sour cherries, sour dark fruits, and fruity malts, lemon, citrus, light funk, acedic, oak, vinegar. More sour dark fruit, especially cherries, in the taste, and a inty bit funky. Awesome, perfect tasting sour for me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Acedic mouthfeel.

o - Overall I thought this was an amazing sour; probably my favorite RR beer to date. All batches of this were very good, btu Batch 3 is unreal right now. Highly recommended, definitely looking for more bottles of this one.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

We decided to do a segmented vertical at ffej of july this year. I brought my Batch #2, Deuane brought his Batch #3, and Jwiss22 brought his Batch #5. This review will be a combination of the three.

A - Pours hazy golden yellow with a small half finger tall white head leaving very small streaks of lace down a small portion of the glass.

S - Smells of lots of acidic sourness, white grape, lemons, green apples, oak and some barnyard funk. Batch #2 is mostly sourness at this point, Batch #3 has all the flavors in near perfect balance and Batch #5 is probably the "fruitiest" of the three.

T - Starts off with an intense sourness that never really goes away. The fruit - the lemons, grapes and apples from the nose - combine with some musty barnyard funk and dry oak to offer some contrast to the sourness but they can only do so much. Finish is quite dry, lingering on the palate long after consumption.

M - All three batches possess a light body with intense flavors and moderate to moderately low carbonation. Very sour, dry finish on all three batches.

O - All three of these were really good. My Batch #2 was definitely the most sour, Batch #3 was probably my favorite since it was the most balanced and Batch #5 just tasted a little raw compared to the other two. This was a seriously delicious test.

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

I shared this at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Served alongside six other Russian River wild ales.

Batch 003

A: Beatification appears a very hazy yellow hue. There is a small head comprised of white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is simply amazing. I was expecting great things, and was not disappointed. Sour funk, lemons, hay, and brettanomyces are the basic makeup of the scents.

T: Not surprisingly, Beatification tastes phenomenal, as the fine aroma would indicate. Really tart, this is almost like a lemon gueuze. The aroma is staggering as you get the glass near your face, then the flavor is just awesome. The taste was an instant 5. World class.

M: As sour as this beer is, there is no harshness or astringent aspects to it. A pleasant pucker and lingering aftertaste with every drink.

D: I would drink this every day if it were feasible. Wow.

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

375 mL bottle poured into an RR -tion glass. Batch 5, bottled 1/10/2012. A celebration beer. Robotics National (International?) Champs.

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden-orange body. No much of a head. Small bit of white foam that settles to a ring of bubbles. Not really lively looking.

Smell - Nice tart fruit aromas. Citrus orange and lemon. Good dose of white peppery funk, but it's not anywhere near as strong as the best Belgian lambics.

Taste - First sip is tart, quite tart. Loads of lemon tang to it. Fades quickly, though. Wheat and hay permeate the flavor as it fades to a peppery funk in the end. Again, it's not moldy cheese funky or nasty sweaty feet sock funky, but it's a touch funky.

Mouthfeel - Finishes crisply and without a puckering sour flavor. It actually retains a bit of a sweetness. Just a hint. Lingering flavors are excellent. This is a well crafted beer. Finishes with just a touch of bitterness.

Overall - Really pleasant sour. Easily the best from RR and definitely one of the best American Wilds out there. Compared to a true Belgian lambic, though, it's not up with the best. Lacks a bit of complexity and definitely missing the funk that I crave. I'm being picky, though. This is delicious and a worthy celebration beer.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Batch 5, 375ml corked and caged offering poured into a long stemmed tulip. The brew appears a hazed golden color with a finger of white head. The cap slowly fades but maintains a layering across the top from continuously rising bubbles of carbonation. A light swirl revives the cap and paints some patches of lacing on the glass.

The aroma of this brew is pretty darn fantastic. It smells lemony and lactic with a fruited quality that is almost like white grape juice. More smells bring out a greater focus on the barrel aging with a scent of moist cork and a bit of sweetness mildly reminiscent of vanilla that integrates so well with the previously described white grape juice scent. This brew has me salivating pretty bad even before I take my first sip. As the brew warms up and is swirled, a bit of a funky cheese note evolves.

The flavor of this brew is quite acidic. This ranks up there with some of the most sour offerings I have had. A flavor of lemony tartness blends into a tannic bacterial spike of acidity that rips the moisture right out of your mouth. The lactic edge gives way to some barrel flavor of moist cork mingled with layers of funk that are somewhat barnyard-like and earthen almost like something along the lines of must and cobwebs? The finish is a mixture of earth and acidity that is so sharp yet dry that you have to dive right back in for another sip. When small sips are taken, this brew really drives home flavors of lemon juice. When bigger gulps are taken, more earthen flavors are present with almost a bit of mineral edge.

This is a light bodied brew with a lively amount of carbonation that is not over done. It is light and lively in the feel with a brutal dryness and acidity to it. This is really a fantastic brew that nearly borders on being too much. I have waiting a very long time to try this and it has met my expectations quite well. The nose on this is unreal and while the flavor is deep and complex, it is a harsh bugger that is not for the faint of heart. I guess this goes without saying, wild ale fans, this is a must-try.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Batch 002 375ml bottle.
Received in trade from largadeer, thanks for the opportunity.

I can smell the funk as soon as I pop the cork. Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a good sized white head that sticks around for a while. Smells of barnyard funk, lemon, tart fruits, and leather. Smells very tart, I think I'm in for a treat. The taste is mouth puckering sour and dry with lots of tart fruits especially lemon and sour orange. Hints of horse blanket and tobacco round it out. Leaves a bone dry finish in which you can feel the lactic acid burn down your throat until it splashes into your stomach. Every sip leaves your mouth watering for more. Medium low carbonation, Medium light body. Wow that's a great sour beer! Lots of acid, some funk, very little vinegar. Vinnie you've done it again.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Pours a very slightly fogged gold with basically no head. Nose is citrus and sweet. The funk is there too. Flavor is, well... Flavor is holy ----! Sour to the core with evident citrus. Pretty amazing stuff. Feel has a light and smooth carbonation to it. Liquid is good. Lovers of sours unite! The American lambic lives!

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to BrewerB for this one!

750 ml cage-corked bottle, poured into a tulip glass:

Pours hazed/clouded golden with a pillowy white head that thins and stays. Uneven rings of lacing stick.

The smell is of lemon, sour/tart with oak and some grassy notes.

The taste is of tart lemon, very funky, acidic and oaky - some vanilla. Bready with fruitiness that becomes peach-like, then orange (with some banana and coconut). Enough malt is there to balance things out. Complex with an underlying funky sourness that works very well!

There's an effervescence to it while maintaining a nice body.

Funky, complex, nicely done!

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Batch 003 courtesy of the Nanoslugs - thanks so much guys! Served in a Cantillon tulip.

A - A finger of white foam settles to pretty much nothing. Lightly hazed golden orange body.

S - Funk, stone fruits, oak, white wine vinegar, horse blanket, hay, and other farmy notes. Extremely gueuze-like.

T - That is also quite excellent, with plenty of tart and sour grapes, white wine, green apple, brash farmy funk, and a mildly acetic finish.

M - Medium-low carbonation, medium in body, super dry and tannic finish. Crisp and refreshing.

D - A great beer, although I think I prefer the increased acidity of Batch 002. Still, this is the most Belgian of the "easily" available American Wild Ales. When I shared it with a highly regarded brewer his first two guesses were beers from Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen. I'm not sure there's a greater compliment I could give.

Will add in my thoughts on Batch 002 when I get around to opening my last bottle. Highly recommended stuff - I'm anxiously looking forward to Batch 004. Wish this still came in 750mls.

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

08/11/06- Purchased by mail order direct from Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- Batch 001-PH1. 375ml (12.7oz) bottle which was caged and corked. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Opens with a loud pop and pours with furious carbonation. The loudest talking beer I have ever heard. The carbonation was just screaming. Poured into a huge ass wine goblet, maybe 22oz capacity. Filled close to the top at pour and settled down at about a 1/4 inch of a spitzy yet slight creamy looking top. Quite lovely cobwebs and small chunks of lace leftover in the aftermath.

Smell- Bits of stinky horse blanket and musty barn and moth balls. You know this one will be a sour one upon the taste. Sour overripe fruits appear after the cork pops.

Taste- Pretty much pure decadence. Combines the flavor of several of my favorite styles of beer. Has a NB Love flavor (which makes sense as it was aged in those barrels). Has a nice Flanders Ale quality....liked to Goudenband and even has that nice barnyard Fantome-esque flavor. Sour, but about the perfect acidic level fruits rush around. Lemon rind, maybe some cherries and raspberries. All combine to make you crave that next sip.

Mouthfeel- A tad bit highly carbonated and gaseous, but not too much as to hinder drinking. Sweet and sour aftertaste that lasts just long enough to tempt you for that next sip.

Drinkability- Well, I timed this one about perfect. Sat here on an early evening night in Broadview, Montana...nothing but vast farmland as far as the eyes can see. A few antelope over here, a few partridges over there and a cow or two mooing in the background...not to mention the bats starting to fly into the barn and the two hoot-owls going at it. Ahhh, all this in the middle of a thunderstorm. Review #999 and taking a 8 month or so beer respite as of bedtime this Sunday....only have a Dreadnaught in waiting for my last beer in my self imposed beer break due to my wife's pregnancy. This was about the perfect beer today. Great taste, incredibly refreshing due to the higher humidity today. Russian River scores again. Vinnie...thanks for making one of my last brews for a while a memorable one. Extreme highest of recommendation!!

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 6/10/14

Batch 05
A- Pours clear and golden with a half-finger of bright white tight foam. This recedes to a collar and leaves some lacing. Some nice alcohol legs are observed when swirled.

S- The aroma is very sour and there is a lot of Brett funk. Overripe apples, tart cherries, pineapple, and oak tannins. Some Granny Smith apple and lemony sourness. Very complex, refreshing, and inviting aroma!

T- Wow, this is warhead sour! Crazy amounts of cherry and lemon sourness. The oak tannins are the only thing restraining and mellowing the sourness. Very acidic and lactic. Refreshing, but bracingly sour!

M- The mouth feel is delicate, medium bodied, and lightly carbonated.

O- This is an excellent sour, though not for the uninitiated! Maybe lacking the complexity and subtleties needed to make it truly world class, but wonderful none-the-less!

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Batch PH3 (I think). This is the fourth sour from RR I've had (Temptation, Supplication, Consecration) and this was by far my favorite.

Beer is yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate to low and forms a two fingered head of medium and small white bubbles. Head falls away leaving a lot of lacing behind.

Beer is a sour bomb. Totally citric and acetic but does not devolve into vinegar as some of these lighter bodied ones do. Its medium to low in body, the carbonation is important in the mouth. Drinkability is the really high and its the best tasting sour I've had. Tartness really hits me in the corners of my mouth but overall a great and solid sour. I'm shocked its not rated higher. I'll be seeking this out again.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

This one was sampled during the South Carolina tasting. This was courtesy of beermex2, thank you immensely Steve! Batch 3 750ml bottle.

This one pours a light to medium bodied melted butter in appearance with a light white lacing. It smells of light Granny Smith apples with some apricot and peaches. This is officially the first beer to make me pucker. Wow! This is mind blowingly sour. It is just so tart and you don't get killed with brett its really astonishing. What a sour! As far as sours go, this is a sipper, an utter palate destroyer. Phenomenal, phenomenal beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

375 ml bottle, batch 5 graciously sent to me by smarcoly. Thank you for the hook-up as always! Served into a Lost Abbey tumbler.

A: Semi-hazy golden orange colored body with a modest finger worth of white head. Not much lacing and only a minor ring of bubbles lined the edges of the glass. For the style, this isn't unexpected at all.

S: Lemon, acidic funk, tart citrus notes, orange, white grapes. The barrel character surprisingly comes through towards the end with plenty of soft oak and sweet vanilla. An absolutely delightful smelling beer.

T: More acidic lemon, orange and peach up front which transitions into a quick oak character. The tartness washes quickly through the palate bringing in some dry white grape flavors and ending with touches of floral spice.

M: Highly carbonated, prickly and spritzy on the palate though never feeling thin at all. Really what you'd want from a Wild Ale. No dryness or linger of anything off-putting. Just really well done in this aspect.

Easily my favorite of all the Russian River sours I've sampled to date. This one has a very bright citrusy profile I love. Hands down one sour I'd drink on a regular basis if I could.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

A: poured a golden yellow in color with orange higlights and a very thin head which left barely and lacing sticking to the glass.

S: lot of lemon citrus and appla were noticeable on the first whiff alongside musty barnyard bretty funk, some acidity, but with twangy character.

T: the lemon citrus accompanied b the apple falvor did help on the sour punch but with bretty musty funk, a touch of pineapple, and acidic accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a citrusy, slight fruity, acidic, sour, and dry finish.

O: definitely one of the most sour beers I've had in a while and was glad to revisit this monster again. Another RR success.

Thanks goes out to BrewerB for this brew.

750ml
Caged/Corked
Batch 003

Poured into a tulip a cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, some sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is malty, yeasty, citrus, slight spice. The taste is soury, malty/yeasty, with good citrus/spice notes. Medium body. Drinkable, a tasty brew.

3.37/5  rDev -24.6%

A foggy pale yellow pour with just a squidge of lacing. Looks flat. Quick swirl and not much pops up.
Unripe fruit smell, green. A good sourness dominates, lemon and key lime. Some biscuit. Juicy.

Lemon sourness in the mouth. Tingles a bit and the biscuit comes out. Seems young. At this abv I shouldn't get much alcohol, but I think I get some. Not sure about this.
Good sour beer, would like to see more flavor. Just kinda bland, imho.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent with a mild sourness; very well done. The taste is awesome as hell. Wow, what a great sour flavor. It's light and easy drinking with a mouth-puckering sourness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a damn fine wild ale. It's no secret why this one is in the top 100.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

Batch 003. The beer pours a hazy gold color with a white head. The aroma is much more funky than the other Russian River sours I have rated. I get some cheesy funk, a little tartness and some oak and vanilla. The flavor is more of the cheesy funk with some tart lemons and oak character. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a hazy bright golden yellow color.

The aroma is straight lemon juice. Extremely tart. A bit of funk as well.

The flavor follows of that tartness in the front. It's quite aggressive and then moves onto a light wheat and biscuity malt hits in the middle as there is a second wave of aggressive tartness of lemon and pineapple juice. There's hints of funk throughout.

A well made beer but the tartness for me was a bit too aggressive. However, recently have Batch 5, I much preferred the restrained manner and less tart qualities in the beer.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company