Beatification | Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This beer is very unique and inspired by breweries in the Lambic region of Belgium and, especially, our friends at Cantillon. It is 100% spontaneously fermented, meaning yeast is not added. Once the beer is brewed, it is transferred to a cool-ship or “horny” tank located in our barrel room at the pub. There it sits overnight and collects whatever funky wild yeast and bacteria may be living in the room. The next day it is transferred to oak wine barrels where it ferments wildly and ages for a few months. The end result is a wild, spontaneously fermented, sour, and tasty hand-crafted beer!

Added by hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

#62
Liked:
4.55/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,660 |  Reviews: 563
3.86/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.86/5  rDev -15.2%

Sour Bomb! Add sour to sour and you get this beer. Newest batch, on tap at O'Briens SD for the 15th annv party. Not much of a nose, funk and brett a bit. Would go killer with food. Also very interested to see how this will age. Should the texture soften and the brett and other funk develope this could turn out to be something very special.

3.87/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev -14.9%

Batch 002
Bottle Serving: 375 mL
%ABV: 6.00%

Poured into a Duvel glass this wild has a cloudy golden color with a frothy and retreating head that quickly dissapates to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

The Aromas are very crisp, refined, and citrusy. There is a ton of white vinegar in the nose along with dry tannins and light oak. I can definately smell the chardonay in this beer.

First taste is like an intense puckering tart candy. It's like a flavor explosion in the mouth. There is a ton of lemon, vinegar, and lime. This would be the perfect beer with fajitas and handmade corn tortillas.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and airy. There's a little carbonation on the tongue; just enough to increase the tartness of the beer.

Drinkabilty is a tough one to nail on this beer. I could drink one of these every year and be good so I can't say it's really all that drinkable. I don't want to break out the 750 in the cellar by any means. I do think the tastes, smells, and other components are great just not something I'd go back to repeatedly. I will try this again.

3.88/5  rDev -14.7%

3.89/5  rDev -14.5%

I've had this before, but this review is for a recent tasting. I drank this alongside a Temptation and Supplication, as well as various ratio'd blends of the three with a pluot muddle to christen my vintage Temptation/Supplication/Beatification/Compunction glass.

Batch 5.

Slightly hazy golden-yellow pour, with a finger or so of white head that retained nicely and streaked the glass with thin lacing. Aroma was pretty intense: lactic, acetic, sour, green apple, citrus. More intense sourness/tartness in the taste...I was told this batch gets "sour in a bad way" with age. I didn't really think it was "in a bad way," but it wasn't exactly smooth. Flavors of green apple, crabapple, lemon, oak, brett, hay, vinegar, white grapes; lactic and tannic notes came out more as it warmed. Medium body, moderate carbonation, heartburn-inducing. Overall good, but probably one of the lower beers on the "-ation" totem poll for me.

Cutting this with Temptation and Supplication really took the edge off. And that's kind of scary.

3.89/5  rDev -14.5%

3.9/5  rDev -14.3%

I'm not sure exactly how to rate this beer, as it is a style I am not overly familiar with.

Cloudy, hazy golden colored pour. Not much on head but slight bit of lace.

Sour and bitter citrus aromas, definite grapefruit smell, slightly funky.

Taste was bitter and sour, with hints of grapefruit and lemon rind, slightly funky, perhaps leathery as well?

Overall, I am glad I had a chance to try this brew. Obviously a fine brew, just not my preferred style.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle from a trade with RblWthACoz.

a - cloudy gold, fading/thin head.

s - very similar to Cantillion (I don't have a *ton* of experience tasting sours). Lots of sour, yum. Not as much sulphur as Cantillion.

t - Starts out very sour and then fades away into watery. Like Cantillion diluted with maybe 20% water. Nice, agreeable sour flavors, but not blow-me-away sour.

m - Easy, not too puckering

d - pretty high. Really good pLambic. Would probably age well for 1-2 yrs?

I prefer the Cantillion, but this was delicious. I'm a little proud of the fact that it was made in the US!

MORE MORE MORE MORE!! Who is going to start putting out large volumes of American Sour so I can buy cases?!

3.92/5  rDev -13.8%

3.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Batch 002.

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with, well, no head.

Smell: A sour-scented aroma smelling of sour ole lemons, white grapes, and grandpa's barnyard, all with a reasonably, understandably funky Brett component.

Taste: A sip of refreshing, oaky white wine and a bite of sharp cheese. Everpresent, underlying Bretty taste. Less a sour lemon taste and more of a taste of thick lemon rinds and a very puckering, almost grimacing wallop of acidity. Then a sip of a salty brine soak. Dry, sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. No real carbonation present.

Drinkability: Quite good, though I'd appreciate just a teensy bit of carbonation. I'd go so far as to say I'd cheerfully drink this each and every damn day. But sadly I don't have easy access to Russian River beers.

3.94/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a very modest head that fades rather quickly, leaving only the vaguest splash of lace

Smell: After an initial whiff of oak and leather, the tartness is overwhelming, with a vinegar/citrus aspect

Taste: Starts out with a mouth puckering vinegary lemon pith tartness that just builds and builds, with a barely discernable oak undertone; after the swallow, the tartness dials back a notch to let the lemon pith through

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with low to moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The tartness of this beer is over the edge for me, although I understand that we are in Geuze territory; I would have liked to see a bit more carbonation as well

3.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle (marked batch 2) into a Russian River Barrel Aged Beers glass.

A: Pours a clear blonde color with an orangish tint.

S: Light fruits such as pear and green apples, but most of all, a whole lot of sour funk.

T: The first flavors on the palate are that of fruits such as orange, pear, and green apples. Quite a bit of lemon as well. The finish is very tart, acidic, and sour. The aftertaste is very dry. Not near as much funk present in the taste as there is in the aroma.

M: Very, very fine carbonation with a dry, mouth puckering mouthfeel.

D: A very interesting beer that would pair very well with food. I think all of Russian River's wild ales do a lot better when paired with some food that the acid will balance out with. Not something I enjoy sitting around and sipping on it's own.

3.96/5  rDev -13%

B3, thanks to Arbitrator, shared with the MA BA crew in a big sour tasting. Poured into VE tasting glass. Mr. Arbitrator had the courtesy to wax a cork and cage, so 15 minutes after stabbing it with a knife I was able to pour it for the crew.

A- Strong, dynamic yellow, like lemon gatorade. Well, not that intense, but close. Low carbonation settles to a faint outer ring.

S- Earthy, musty, funky. Sour.

T- Strong bitter/sour lemon rind, building to a heavy tartness that is borderline mouth-puckering. Faint wet grass, some mild strawberry sweetness in the finish. Really unique.

M- Very tart- crisp apple and lemon gumdrops.

O- Glad I had some people to share this with. I like it, but it's intense.

3.97/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to lagadeer for this one!

This beer pours a lemony gold color in to my tulip. A column of micro-bubbles rise up from the dimple in the bottom. Be careful on the pour. One glass got a little of the dregs in it and it looked a lot more dull.

Smells of raspberries, red grapefruit and a touch of banana with a strong emphasis on the tart aspects of these beers. There's a pleasant wild funk that permeates the entire nose. In the distance there's a clover honey and some wild flowers.

The flavor is predominantly funky tartness that reminds me of eating under-ripe crabapples as a kid. It picks up a flash of black pepper too along with ultra tart cherry and orange. It's hard to really articulate just how funky the funk is, but this one seemed to be a little more "in your face" and unbalanced that other Russian River beers.

Feels dense, but mysteriously vacant with only the slightest hint of tiny carbonation. This really helps the mouth deal with the funk.

A tasty wild ale, but not one of RR's best.

3.97/5  rDev -12.7%

Batch 5.

Beautiful clear golden pour with minimal carbonation. Metallic nose, huge lemon juice quality on the palate. This is straight-up citrus, not vinegar. Finishes clean with a big-time mineral quality.

Interesting beer, not complex but an impressive showcase of the flavors it does have. I imagine it being served ice cold accompanying some delicious fresh seafood. Out of that context maybe it's more of a curiosity.

Thanks to JVD for this
A bottle of batch 2 pored into a challis produced a good finger worth of head that disappeared completely rather quickly. The body of the brew was a clear straw colored yellow.

The aroma reminded me of a gueuze in a lot of ways. The typical funk and sour citrus coming from the glass. The flavor was somewhat the same to me it remined me of a gueuze. I know It's a wild, but the sour citris and vinigar flavors were great. The mouthfeel was medium to light with almost no carbonation

The bottle was quite enough for me but I will say I enjoyed every drop. I think the fact this is so hard to find will probably hinder me from looking forwad to driking this again . I was glad it reminded me of a gueuze so I can easly grab one to help remind me of the experiance

3.98/5  rDev -12.5%

Batch 002 at the RR taproom.

A: Very cloudy, yellow/straw color. Small ring of small bubbles. Not much head there.

S: Not much aroma surprisingly. There's some funk/acidity and some apple aromas. Also some funky spicy and "barnyard" brett character.

T: Heavy on the Brettanomyces/wild yeast. It's sour for sure. There is some malt in the background and there seems to be some hop bitterness. Bitterness could also be some slight spicy yeast character. Interesting. I like it.

M: Dry, lively. Great carbonation for the beer.

D: Very drinkable for the style I suppose. I'm not sure I'd have two, but it is refreshing. It's not as clean as many lambics, but it tastes good.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company