Love Belgian Beer?

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

This beer is very unique and inspired by breweries in the Lambic region of Belgium and, especially, our friends at Cantillon. It is 100% spontaneously fermented, meaning yeast is not added. Once the beer is brewed, it is transferred to a cool-ship or “horny” tank located in our barrel room at the pub. There it sits overnight and collects whatever funky wild yeast and bacteria may be living in the room. The next day it is transferred to oak wine barrels where it ferments wildly and ages for a few months. The end result is a wild, spontaneously fermented, sour, and tasty hand-crafted beer!

Added by hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 547 | Ratings: 2,536
4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now this was a treat.

A. Light straw color with shades of bright copper, great clarity, fine bubble egg shell head. High carbonation. Prolific effervescence.

S. Big tart nose, with notes of apple cider vinegar, granny smith apples, sour yeast, sour bacteria, and neutral oak.

T. Follows the nose to the tee. Big funk presence and the oak is very well balanced with the sour yeast. I would say this is very sour.

M. Very smooth, high carbonation, light body.

O. I could drink this all day long. It made me a little burpy but that goes with the territory. I'm a huge fan. This is very well balanced and benefits from a little age.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Clarity is off the charts, golden yellow color. Fuzzy white head that reduces to nothing, leaving it looking like a glass of sparkling white wine.

Acidic and vinous aromas, light wood, lemon, sour apple.

Mouth puckering and delightful. It's such a fun beer for those that enjoy sour. Lemon, acidic, wood, tart. Bursts with flavor.

Crisp and extremely sour on the palate. Abusive to the tongue. Sour like I'm going to get those little bumps on my tongue when I eat too many sour patch kids.

Love, love, love this beer. It's in the discussion for my favorite of all time.

Batch 6.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

A 2008 keg tapped and poured into a fluted glass. Golden yellow and mostly clear with thin white soapy head, barely half a finger initially. Some light carbonation floating up from the bottom of the glass, but not too much to maintain much of a head. Light swirling forms a small amount of foam, but it dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

Nose is sour apples, light citrus, earthy, wet hay funkiness and a bit of fresh herbs. Tart but fruity, grassy, and just really good.

Taste doesn't disappoint at all, tart and sour apples, lemon juice, astringency from skins of plums, fresh soil, rosemary, wet animal hair. Nice complex mix of sour, sweet, and earthy funk. Lingering sour fruits on the tongue.

Light and crisp with good small bubble carbonation that gently tickles your tongue. Refreshing and easy to drink.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Purchased directly from RRBC. Batch 003. Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into my NBB snifter. I miss the older style 375ml bottles that they used to have for their sours but the extra size here more than makes up for that. The label has the usual RRBC on the back - wish more breweries took the time and care to do stuff like that. It was a hazy golden yellow color. It had tons of carbonation. No lacing. I poured slowly, as suggested on the label, so as not to disturb the yeast so the head was quite small. Fizzy, white and gone in a flash.

The aroma was FUNKY (oh yeah). Barnyard, wet horse blanket and lemon. I love sour beer aromas and this one was excellent. The taste was a sour bomb with a carb attack to boot. Mouth puckering sour from start to finish. Vinegary and funky. Ends very dry but then lets up right before being too dry. Mouthfeel is exceptional with great carbonation and acidic bite.

Overall, another classic from Russian River. I like Supplication and Temptation a tad better but this one is outstanding. Got another one that I'm going to age a bit and see how it tastes in about a year. Highly recommend. Wish I could get more of it.

**RE-SAMPLE** Had my aged one on 9/14/09. Poured into a Duvel tulip so even more carbonation this time. Head was larger and stuck around a bit longer. Aroma was still funky but was more classic brett with the lemon and barnyard toned down a little but still great. Taste was also still amazing. Would leave scores the same if re-reviewing.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Batch 002. Brilliant gold in color with a light amount of cloudiness. Some head present, but on the less lustrous side of things. Aromas is citric, lemony, acidic, floral, and vinous. The spontaneous in-barrel fermentation lends a more powerful sour and funk than Russian River's other brews. The taste is tongue pleasingly sour, with citrus, lemon, pedio funk, and slightly earthy on the finish. Moderately bodied with a matching amount of carbonation. This is a very tasty beer, my favorite sour from Russian River.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Batch 003 in a 750mL bottle. Poured a hazy yellow with a fizzy head. Smell was vinegar & citrus with slight barnyard funk. The taste was menacing: Wonderful bitterness the entire duration of the sip. Tastes of funk & sour lemon. Drinkability was very good. I love sours because you get vast amounts of flavor for low levels of alcohol.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with no head whatsoever. Looks like a very refreshing Chardonnay.

The aroma on this brew is top notch! Tart lemon flesh blended with green apples and white grapes. A very acidic sourness encapsulates the aroma and has a nice earthy vibe as well.

The taste follows the nose...lemon tartness, green apples and white grapes blended with an acidic sourness. Oaky characteristics shine through on the finish.

The mouthfeel is amazing. Light to medium in body with the perfect amount of carbonation with a clean, crisp, dry and sour finish. The sour finish lingers for days and days! So good!

Overall, this beer was worth the hype. Big thanks to my buddy Josh for getting this for me as a wedding gift. Major beer karma comin your way! This beer did it all without trying to do too much. Just amazing

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Batch 01. I have the PH too, to sample later.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Orangish, apricot color with a pilowy head that disipates fairly quickly. Well carbonated. Just a swirl of the glass with put more foam on top.

S - First, let me start by saying that I could smell this thing as soon as the cork popped from over two feet away. Smells of funky apples, almost ciderish, with subtle fruits in the background. The Bret is there too, bringing a vinegar quality to it as well. Great stuff.

T - Sour apples start, but very soon the earthy flavors push them out of the way. At the finish, this baby will make you pucker, while at the same time reminding you of a sweet Belgian. It is very difficult to describe and I'm not sure I've ever tasted anything like this. I like it a lot, however. Very unique.

M - Maybe a tad overcarbonated and a little thin, but I suppose that is OK for this wide-open style. As one would guess, this is a very dry beer, but in a good way.

D - Not a problem. I love it.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

well, its been a long time since i've written a review, but as i'm sitting here with a snifter full of warming beatification, i thought i'd give it a shot. let's see if i remember how to do this...

i got this bottle, along with temptation and supplication, from the recent RRB release, and i've got to say that this is the funkiest, sourest, most surprising beer i've had in a long time. to be honest, i thought i had a bad bottle for a moment - the cork barely popped and didn't look like it had expanded in the bottle very much. upon pouring the light-apple-cider colored liquid into my snifter, i didn't see much of a lasting head and i got the decidedly odd smell of, well, animal sweat. i don't really know how else to describe it, except maybe as the rind of a cheese that the french would call "fromage qui pue." tasting this beer at fridge temperature was also very, very weird. almost painfully like vinegar. my eyes watered a bit. but how can this be the famed beatification? is it infected? well, of course its infected, it says so on the bottle! so i let it sit in my hand for a bit, the snifter resting at an angle in my palm, allowing the beer to warm. and warm it did! now i get so much more off the nose - sour cherry, almost kumquat, a bunch of lemon rind, and a dash of white pepper. the taste has also developed much - also kumquats, brett funk, citric acid, and just a touch of the original malt sweetness that has been feasted upon by tons of little "bugs and critters." cool! the mouthfeel is perfectly round in the first sip and slowly astringent in the finish, leaving me with a mild woodiness before the taste disappears. wonderful.

i've left the yeast/critters in the bottle, but plan on drinking that soon. excuse me if i cut out now - i'd like to savor the last few sips of my original pour before i dump in the haziness.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Batch 003. Poured into a goblet. Has a beautiful golden color with a slight haze. A fizzy white head forms and dissipates rather quickly.

Incredibly funky smell. Sour lemon and citrus, horsey funk and barnyard, acetic acid.

Very sour on the palate. Funky barnyard, lemon, and vinegar. Lots of prickly carbonation.

Great beer. This was worth the wait to try. Hopefully I can manage to stay away from my other bottle for a few years and let it age.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Batch 5 poured into a tulip.

A- Golden murky appearance with a thin white head.

S- sour, lemon zest, floral and grassy, and a nice funkiness.

T- fruitiness, bitter lemon, funk, oak, rose pedals, and black pepper.

M- prickly carbonation, sourness lingers on palate and makes my mouth water. Alcohol not present.

O- I drank my second of my six bottles I acquired yesterday at RR. All I have to say is that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and plan on getting it as often as I can.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Decided to crack open a bottle of Beatification, batch 002 for my 900th review. Pours straw colored, slightly hazy, and with no head. The smell is quite funky with lots of lemon sourness and great barnyard aromas. The taste is super tart up front, followed by a splendid funkiness with loads of horseblanket character as well as a dose of minerality. Ripe soft cheese and lemon on the finish. Smooth, tart, refreshing in the mouth. Delicious and the real deal. I shared a bottle of this with brickstoredave, and his comment was "Wow, an American brewer made this beer?". My thoughts exactly. What an accomplishment and one more reason Russian River is my favorite American brewery.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Pours a hazy blonde with absolutely no head.

S- Initially it smells very crisp and clean, but after a couple whiffs, a mild funky smell comes through. Tart grapes and brett along with earthy notes come through.

T- Sour lemon and brett with notes of white pepper. This one's pretty complex. Very crisp lemony finish.

M- Puckeringly sour with a crisp, dry finish.

D- In spite of how sour it was, this was extremely enjoyable. I can't wait to try it again!

Reviewed from notes:

Pours with a great funky, earthy, hay & lemon smell. Rich golden color, somewhat hazy. Very tart on the tongue with earthy, leathery undertones. Not at all astringent, but rather finished crisp and cleanly acidic. Excellent beer.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Batch 4. So glad I'm finally getting to try this. Pours a slightly hazy, bright gold color with a medium white head that goes down quickly. Scent is funky with nice lemon aromas. There is also a bit of sweat aroma in the nose as well. Lovely wild yeast scents and citrus with just the right amount of funk. Taste is very oaky at first with intense lemon and sharp, bitter funk from the wild yeast. A bit of cheese as well. Nice blend of lemon, funk, and sour. Mouthfeel is very crisp and refreshing. Puckering. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is the first time I've had this beer, and RR has yet to disappoint. I'm not regretting waiting in line for 3 hours for a few bottles of this.

My 200th Review!!!

Batch 002

Pours a cloudy golden color. Hefeweizen-ish. No head, no lacing.

Aroma smells Vinous. Very wine like. Lots of funk and tart aromas.

Taste is awesome. This one is super tart. Very lemony tart with lots of Brett Funk.

Mouthfeel is very dry on the Palate with a nice high carb.

Overall an amazing beer that everyone should seek out. It's gotten pretty tart over the course of a year or so so if you want to age some, be known that this is what it does.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to Deepsouth! No seriously, great trade!!!

Hazy orange-straw colored with a cardboard thin head that fades completely.

Farm fresh funk with a oaky nose normally found in cabernets. Smells much like a gueze but more earthy.

OMG->Tart and sour like a sour patch kid but with an underlining sweetness. There is a hint of fruit somewhere in here but I can't place it. Damn this is good!

Sour with a carbonated dry finish that leaves the palate begging for more!

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had! I wish I had a case of this stuff. I'd spend the weekend taunting my friends with it.

Russian River knows how to sour a beer just right! A+

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Another splendid sour ale wild ale from Russian River. I was expecting this to be similar to Temptation (which I tried last night), but it ended up being quite different.

Pours a brilliant golden color. Thin white crust, no real head. It has the characteristic champagne bubbles, but decidedly less so than Temptation. As a result, the mouthfeel was a bit more flat ... unfortunately less appealing (for me, at least).

The smell indicated that the funk level was going to be raised insanely high. Vinegar, overwhelming tartness, and wood/oak tones abounded in the aroma. The taste was explosively sour. The wood/oak flavoring was gigantic, far more so than La Folie's Wood Aged Beer, which is the closest I can think of in terms of sour woodsy flavoring. Vinegar, tartness, and young sour citrus abound. While the flavor is definitely complex, it can be a bit more one-note than Temptation as the session progresses.

I see that folks mention lighter fruits such as sour cherries, raspberries, etc. I'm not getting much of that. If those were added, I guess the "Brett" character is pummeling them.

Definitely demands a lot of your palate. Delicious.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very light straw color. It is lighter than blonde and just barely lemon-tinted in the glass with a nice bright white head. Plenty of carbonation. The smell is complex. There is some tartness/acid scent but very funky to my nose. I get more funk than anything. Like preserved lemons maybe. The taste is sour on the front end but bright in the tartness. This tastes like a lemon sour patch kid to me. The sour is balanced so well and doesn't finish acetic. You get a bit of the wood and the sourness really smoothes out as this warms. I really enjoy lemons, so this beer really hits the spot. It's just this side of sour to not be completely thirst quenching, which is good because it's not like anybody has a big enough stash to throw back a few of these. Probably as balanced and as well made as any sour I've had. Slightly ahead of Cantillon Gueuze for me in terms of bright lemony lambic.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

I've hung on to this bottle for some time, and am quite suprised it has lasted this long in my fridge. My first Beatification experience. Batch 002 by the way.

A: Golden, honey-colored pour with champagne-like bubbles. Thin, effervescent head layer faded quickly to a clear orange glassful.
S: A light vineagar aroma. Sharp flora notes. Hints of pineapple and other sweet fruits.
T: Very sweet fruit flavors. Not so much citrus, but more tropical. Although, lighter grapefruitness is noticed.
M: Puckering, but nothing that bucks your head back. Very smooth and almost refreshing. I was shocked and thought I would find this barrel-aged sour a bit more of a mouthful. This was not a terrible suprise, but just unexpected.
D: Delightful. I would love to compare to a draft version and later an aged/cellar version. Very clean and sharp flavors and aroma. Refined recipe and unlike any other.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Batch 3 poured into a snifter.

A - Hazy yellow straw with hardly any head and just a bit of lacing. Looks somewhat boring after the initial pour.

S - The aroma on this sumbitch is colossal, you can smell it as soon as the bottle is opened and maintains for the entire pour. Super tarty and funky lemon with hints of funky hay and barnyard.

T - Incredible mouth-exploding lemon, lime and orange citrus birst. Holy shit, my taste buds are saturated with citrus, this is amazing. Vinegar, a noticeable barnyard funk and grapes work their way into the middle while that bright and bubbly citrus maintains through the finish. This is the ultra lemon-lime-soda beer.

M - medium body which completely immerses my mouth with low carbonation, but is just crisp enough to make it interesting.

D - The drinkability isn't that huge, because of the unrelenting citrus, vinegar and funk notes, but I just cannot stop drinking this. This beer was an experience for me and I cannot wait to try it again.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. One of the first sours I ever had that made me want to try all sour beers. The funk on this beer is perfect. It looks amazing. The smell makes me smile. Such good funky notes to this, and the sour hits your tongue perfectly curling but wanting more. Try this beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 002. Corked & caged bottle 375 ml bottle into a Russian River Barrel-Aged Beer Tulip glass. A very classy presentation (as always) from Russian River.

Pours a hazy light orange (with almost a golden sheen to it)and a thin head of brite-white foam that left a smattering of lace behind. There is still a good bit of carbonation release well after the pour that keeps the retention firm for a good while, which is a credit to the conditioning of this. As a matter of fact, things don't slow down until about half way through the glass and then it went immediately still. It was a pretty cool to see the contrast in the body between when it was poured and when I finished the glass. The aroma is straight up fresh funky Brett, that gives off a tingling, pleasant pungency. There is also a fairly prominent sensation of sour fruits (like apples) behind all the funk.

The taste profile initially starts out with a fresh tasting crip blast of Brett tartness. What I love about this, is that never gets to the point of being sour. It takes things right to the threshold but brilliantly knows right when to pull back to keep things at a tart bite. And then what I REALLY love about this beer is that as it warms, the tartness melds with the sour fruit notes (that have been lingering in the background)to achieve a flavor not unlike a Sweet Tart of Sour Apple Jolly Ranger. Complete with an almost sugary sweetness that is felt in the finish along with a lingering tartness. The mouthfeel is fantastic, being medium bodied with a crisp feel yet dry finish and is smooth across the palette.

This Wild Ale really is out-freaking-standing and remains a spontaneously fermented work of art. Jammed packed with all the tartness and funk that you would expect from a beer like this but it is never overbearing and retains a fantastic drinkibility. God bless Vinnie and Russian River for beers like this!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Alex (MastersSki) for finally letting me try my number one want. Cheers! Shared at Zwanze Day 2011. 750ml bottle, B3. Review # 600.

Appearance – Poured into a Cantillon tulip with a hazy golden hay color. About an inch of fizzy head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates somewhat quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Unbelievable funk and sour notes up front. Leather, wet hay, oak, citrusy fruit, and acidic aromas.

Taste – Yes. YES. This is what I was hoping for. An utterly intense puckering sourness up front – almost brazenly so. Green apples, lemon, peach, oak, wet hay, slight lactic, and more earthy flavors. Fan-freaking-tastic.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, plentiful carbonation, finishes quite dry.

Overall – The highlight of this crazy day for me. After having so many good beers (read BA Cuir, Zwanze 2011, Lou Pepe Kriek, 007, PvW Eclipse, BA Decedance, and Blåbær) this was the stand out. While 007 was somewhat “similar”, it was more balanced. This was just a in your face mouth puckering sour. I was hoping I would hate this so I didn’t have to try and find more, but alas, that was not the case. One of my favorite beers. I can’t wait to get more of this. Thanks again so much to Alex for sharing this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared by Romulux at our recent Holiday tasting.

A: Light yellow with off-white bubbly head. Some lacing present.

S: SOUR FUNKINESS TO THE MAX! Lots of nosehair curling acidity.

T: The most mouth puckering sour I have had. Loved it. Like shocktarts in a glass.

M: Light and bubbly. Very refreshing.

O: So glad to have checked this one off. I will be glad to try this again when the new batch comes out.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company