Beatification | Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This beer is very unique and inspired by breweries in the Lambic region of Belgium and, especially, our friends at Cantillon. It is 100% spontaneously fermented, meaning yeast is not added. Once the beer is brewed, it is transferred to a cool-ship or “horny” tank located in our barrel room at the pub. There it sits overnight and collects whatever funky wild yeast and bacteria may be living in the room. The next day it is transferred to oak wine barrels where it ferments wildly and ages for a few months. The end result is a wild, spontaneously fermented, sour, and tasty hand-crafted beer!

Added by hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 554 | Ratings: 2,601
4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

Bought a few bottles from the release a while back, big thanks to fartingdog and DrJay for facilitating it!

Pours an almost clear light amber, almost golden, thin bone white head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring around my new Bruery glass, drops some nice lace spots on the glass. Smell is badass, tons of oak and vinegar, lots of funky goodness, wine, vanilla, some honey and biscuity malty sweetness underneath the acidic lemons, almost a fresh floral character, kind of like a riesling, pretty awesome. Taste is intense, sweet and sour beginning when it kicks you in the tonge, more of a sweet wine, I get a lot of dry riesling character, fresh floral and honey notes, then the funky acidic character hits, like toasted lemons, vinegar, wood, very nice herbal sour finish, perfectly balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied, silky smooth, low carbonation, goes down insane easy for a sour. Not as much of a palate bruiser as I expected, just perfectly balanced sourness, tons of character, I could drink this stuff all day.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to jedwards for sharing. 375ml corked and caged bottle, batch #2. Poured a hazy, golden-orange, with no head. Nose reveals some citrus (perhaps tangerines), cork and a hint of funk. Taste reveals muted grapefruit seeds and a salty quality. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light), with an easy carbonation and some light astringency that stimulates the salivary glands. What an incredible sour - light, flavorful and extremely drinkable. Wish I could get more of this.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Massive thanks to my cousin sonnysideup for sharing. An all-time top want for me. Batch 5.

A- Split from the bottle to a teku and a tulip with a murky, hazy golden appearance. A small pillow of frothy foam builds up upon pouring but falls to all but a tiny ring. A few legs stick but no true lace, looks like a gueuze.

S- Well this is going to be sour... Massive sour lactic and lemony tartness right off the top. Vinous oak barrels although there is no wine here from what I know. Some nice horsey funk as it warms.

T- Sour notes pick up to a vintage Cantillon or Hanssens, acidity just grips the taste buds and the entire mouth making my cheeks sore. Gueuze-like notes of lemons, vinous grapes, oak barrels, apples and even more lactic sourness. Some funk and grassy hay barnyard.

MF- Light bodied and immensely dry. As stated, a battery acid sourness lingers on the palate for many minutes after finishing. Moderate carbonation with a fizzy and somewhat silky texture.

Maybe the closest to a really good Gueuze I can think of coming out of America. I love Supplication and Consecration and this is a refreshing change to straight spontaneous ferment flavors. Sourness dominates but lots of other great flavors beyond that.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A chilled bottle poured at Russian River

A - Pours a golden blonde with a nice velvety white head that lasts forever.

S - I keep smelling and not sipping. Very funky and sour. Wheat, flowers, honey, magic?!

T - Tart and sourness flood the palate, but it is very welcoming and friendly. I can't imagine this style being any bett

D - Great fizzy carbonation and body.

O - What a true delight. This beer has made me so happy, I just can't explain it. I will savor it every chance I get.

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Yellow and orange appearance, looks darker than pte, almost appearance wise is more akin to a typical dipa moreso than a wild ale. Real good looking head, this is the best looking wild ale I may have ever seen, just pristine.

Really massive sour notes, dry, earthy and extremely citrusy (and not just lemon).

Taste, wow, immediately reminds me why this is my favorite of the Russian -tion beers. And then it makes me pontificate whether I like this more than framboise for a cure or pty. Yup, that good. Body is light, taste, sour power is heavy. Keeps the brett aspect down, lets the other germs dominate. Never approaches anything that could be considered vinegar-esque. Oak notes are mild. Its all about orange type citrus notes, dry and earthy hyper drive sour.

3.28/5  rDev -26.6%

Thanks to cloudskipper who sent me this bottle via the Secret Santa BIF almost a year ago. I've been saving it for the right time, &, well, that time is now. It's warm in Minnesota in late November, that's reason enough to celebrate!

Batch 3. Only 2/3 of the bottle poured between my wife & I initially to keep the sediment trapped in the big, cool bottle. Pours an almost radioactive yellow with evident carbonation but no head to speak of. Smell is sheer wild. Dry, cirtus, with a tangy undercurrent of champagne, which must be the yeast. Interesting.

Beatification is mouth-puckeringly dry. Even before the taste kicks in, this is the primary impression I come away with from the first sip. After I unpucker, I get the sour lemon, the brett, the wood drying out my mouth even more. I'm going to need to drink some liquid after I finish this. Drinkable? Even for a wild, this is down on the scale for me.

Good beer. Unfairly, I was expecting some kind of heavenly notes to sound when I opened the bottle, but this wasn't as good as some other sours I've had. Good, but simple.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

I had a batch 2 375ml bottle that i drank from Rochefort glass.

This beer pours a dark yellow that has a hint of orange in it, much much darker than tempation. The head and carbonation are both disappointing as I get NO HEAD AT ALL. There is no lacing either.

The aroma is all sour and funk but sadly there isn't much complexity or other aromas. You are just overwhelmed by sour.

The taste makes up for what is lacking in appearance and aroma. It is sweet to start then very tart, definetly a puckerer, the rest of the way but not so overwhelming you can't drink it.

The feel is tart and heavy and just coasts your tongue but crisp to drink and great drinkability for a sour beer.

Overall this wild ale is a good beer, partly just because I love sours. however, compared to other sours it is severly lacking in complexity and originality. Would I drink this beer again? Certainly. Would I go out of my to find it, trade something special to get it, or pay a lot at an auction site no.

4.02/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 2, 375ml bottle purchased from Tom Peters' private stash at Monk's Cafe. I've also got a 750mL bottle of Batch 3 at home but wanted to try the batch 2 first.

The beer is golden orange colored and a little hazy with a very thin head. You know it's gonna be sour from the first sniff, acidic and "lambicy". The taste is intense lemon juice and funk, so acidic and tasty it's hard to differentiate from the wicked lambics I've had in Brussels and Brugge. Very dry aftertaste, and alum pucker that lasts and is reborn with each lick of the lips. This is the most sour wild ale I could imagine, very similar to my memory of Apfelwein in Frankfurt but with carbonation. Apfelwein is German apple cider and can be very sour (especially the Saurer Most version).

4.47/5  rDev 0%

A-Cloudy yellow, well carbonated, one finger light head that doesn't last long.

S-Lemon, grass, acidic vinegar funk, oaky notes as well.

T-Lemon goodness, grassy notes, nice persistent sour. Great all around balance.

M-Medium bodied, some carbonation, very smooth

O-A wonderful beer, spot on with the sour and it meshes excellently with the lemon and grassy notes.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to rrryanc and ArchEnemyBrew for both getting me a bottle of this, a huge want. Batch 5.

Appearance. Pours a clear, rich yellow gold with two fingers of bubbly white head that fades pretty quickly.

Smell. Strong woody funk and leather with traces of melons, apples, white wine and a touch of honey.

Taste. Really sour, tart lemon juice and cider vinegar with some leathery funk and musty, dank old wood. There's even a slight saltiness going on. Very, very nice (despite this description).

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body with medium+ lively but smooth carbonation.

Overall. An awesome brew. Very sour and really delicious. Enjoying it immensely!

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to leschkie for this bottle...

Batch 005, split with dogfishandi...

A: Pours a cloudy golden straw with a half finger of pure white head that fades pretty quickly. There is no lacing on my glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is sour grapes, sour cherries, rose hips, brett, green apple, and vinegar. Sour is an understatement for this beer. It's glorious, but it's not for the faint of heart.

T: Damn. It's sweet and tart right up front. From that point on, it's just massive sour. Puckering vinegar, green apple, and artificial sours hit you big time. It's like sipping on a liquefied sour patch kid. It's super drying in the finish, and almost hurts the taste-buds.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's massively sour, super funky, and lingers forever. It almost hurts your mouth, but I'm loving it.

O: Fantastic beer. It's mega sour and super delicious. This is a true standout for wild ale fans. It deserves every bit of praise that it gets. Fantastic.

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a Russian River stemmed glass. This was bottled on 01/10/2012.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber and leaves a finger of nice, white head.

Smell: Tart grapes, mild tempting acidity, lemon. Refreshing aroma.

Taste: Very tart lemon, grapes, sour grapefruit, oak, orange. Much different than the mild aroma. Quite sour, but tasty.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium body. Quite sour which makes this not particularly smooth, but is to be expected.

Overall: I was very impressed with this sour. Exceptional smell and really delicious, this is a well-crafted beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 1 and Batch 3 tasted side-by-side, thanks to Joe and Grant for sharing!

Batch 1 pours a hazy deep orange color while Batch 3 pours a lighter and clearer orange-yellow color. Both have half-finger white heads that dissipate into thin rings around the glass leaving decent lacing.

Batch 1 smells of light malts with large amounts of lightly tart citrus and mild amounts of funk. Batch 3 smells of light malts as well; however the citrus is far more tart and the funk is more prominent, with hints of vinegar.

Both taste similar to how it they smell. Batch 1 features light malt flavors kicking things off and equally parts sweet and tart light citrus coming in shortly thereafter. Slight wet hay and leather influences come into play midway through the sip, carrying through to a moderately tart ending. As with the aroma, Batch 3 has much sharper tart citrus influences. Additionally, the funk influence is more robust but of a similar profile to Batch 1.

The mouthfeel for both is good. Solid thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is great for Batch 1 and very good for Batch 3.

Overall I slightly preferred Batch 1, but not by much. Batch 1 was better integrated and the niceties of everything were allowed to shine. Batch 3 was much larger and the flavors popped, but I found some of the nuances were overpowered when compared to Batch 1. Both are world-class beers and severely worth a shot.

Batch 1: 4 - 4.5 - 4.5 – 4 - 5
Batch 3: 4 - 4.5 – 5 – 4 - 4.5

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Big thanks to DRINKNDRIVE for this 375ml bottle. I opened this one very carefully over the sink and there was no explosion like I experienced with Supplication. The first sniff from the bottle is sour juiciness. The color is white-yellow with some sudsy bubbles. More sour juicy smell with a hint of musty funky acrid sweat. Dusty basement smells also. Brutal yet beautifully sour taste like lemonheads candy. Citrus lemon is mostly what I taste in addition to the sourness and some acidity. Overall, this is really awesome if you like sours. This also has more funkiness to it than the supplication I had a couple days ago. I thought the supplication was better.

update 02/28/09 batch 002

really reminds me of gueuze, cheesy, funky aroma, puckering lemon juice sourness that contorts my face! Excellent beer and has aged well over the last year or so since release.

update 03/21/09

batch 003

Smells quite gueuzy with just a whiff of funk at first that seems to grow as it really warms. Not nearly as sour as batch 002 but still juicy and has a bit of sourness to it and the promised hint of grapefruit. Really easy to drink, smooth and delicious but a little subdued compared to the previous batch. I hope to buy more "sonambics" from this brewery.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Koningshoeven chalice. Bottled on 10 January 2012. 6.00%

A: Light, frothy white head fades quickly. Super-clear and quite pale. Almost like white wine.

S: Excellent yeast -- sharp, funky, sweet, and sour. Full of fruit and tartness and all the excellent aspects I've come to associate with wild yeast, and none of the lesser aspects.

T: Interesting! Fiercely puckery...almost too much so to drink. Like Warheads as a child, this beer makes my jaw socket ache. Still, it's perversely delicious. A touch of vinegariness that I don't particularly enjoy, almost like olive brine, but otherwise quite nice...bright fruit, very wine-like, very dry, and rather acidic. Some lemons. Overall, enjoyable.

M: Your mouth will want to collapse in on itself. Your tongue will tingle. And you will like it. What a beer!

O: Acidic, interesting, sour, and perhaps a touch overrated. Still, a well-made beer that deserves your attention. I would have another.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

HUGE thank you to Aaron for surprising me with this gem. shared with mike and scott in an evening of exciting sours.

batch 004

a - poured a murky fuzzy orangey yellow with a thin fizzy head. the bottle was a gusher.

s - black pepper funk. sweet tarts. like a russian river sour on funk steroids.

t - WHOA that's a funky sour! sour grapefruit. like the juice they used to give me in day camp when i needed something thirst quenching, yet instead ended up having dried out puckered mouth. the oak is in there, but under the sour flavoring. smarties and sweet tarts.

m - PUCKERING - super sour.

o - extremely sour. not for the faint of heart. nearly knocked me down at first. all that being said, it didn't seem much different than the standard russian river sours, which in my opinion are just as good as this. this is definitely on the overly sour side.

*** ** * ** ***
edit 2012-08-15 Batch 3 (750)
*** ** * ** ***
4 - 4.5 - 4.5 - 4 - 4
Notes from a tasting on 8/15. big thanks to totoropanda for bringing this one.

appearance was just like the other batches i've tried, a murky orange. smell was super sour and tart in the nose with some floral kicks to it. taste was also extremely sour and sweet tart with some floral notes. the beer has a really nice feel to it. not prickly but close to it. this is a really solid beer, very balanced and extremely drinkable for such a sour beer. i found that i liked this batch better than batch 4, but not as much as batch 5.

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Batch #6 (I think) bottle from trade, dated 9/11/13. Pours to my tulip a light yellow golden color with a small fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Aroma is nice tart lemon, yeast funk, some pleasant citrus-like sweetness, light vinegar (very light on that note), apricots, lots of lacto acidity. Flavor is a nicely balanced sweet and sour lemon, lots of lactic tartness, dry oak, dry dusty Geuze-like qualities yet a nice sweet citrus character to balance. Some wine like qualities with Sauvignon blanc type of acidity. Light bodied with high carbonation and a crisp finish. This is really nice, but I can’t ever see paying $18 for a small bottle myself. Differentiating sour beers is tough I guess. With that said no doubt I would drink this again. Yum.

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Reviewed from notes: 2/23/2011

we busted into this one b/c we failed our first attempt at pliny the younger, and well, we just felt beat...seemed the perfect fit for the situation

A: golden yellow, no head, no lacing

S: sour, sweet funk, peaches and/or apples are subtle

T: cheek puckering sour, but fades to a nice palatable sweetness

M: mild carbonation, well balanced, medium body

D: the most sour of the Russian River's we've tried so far, but really well rounded and truly an enjoyable beer

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

750ml bottle (batch 003) poured into my Russian River "Barrel Aged Ales" goblet (pretty ugly design though). Beatification is a spritzy gold with a large white head that leaves scattered lace. A nice crackle to the head, even though it is pretty quick to dissipate, impressive for what essentially is a gueze.

Smell is very pithy and mineral laden, lemon tonic water, must and a touch of vinegar, very nice.

Taste is wild for sure, wow. I had batch 2 before and it really blew my mind, and this one really lives up to my high expectations. Very tart and complex, citrus and a bit of sugar, though the sweetness is quickly cut by the sour, dry finish.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and crisp, super dry, light body.

Drinkability is pretty high if your a fan of gueze, in that I wouldn't mind have this on a regular basis. Still, the extreme acidity makes it a very slow sipper and not something I want more then one bottle of in an sitting. Ever since I heard about their plans to make a 'sonambic', I knew I had to get my hands on some. While it's undoubtedly awesome, it's prohibitively expensive, which is really a shame, as it mean I'll have to really hoard my reaming bottles for special occasions, like another Christmas! This should age very well, if I can manage to hold onto it that is!!!

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours exquisitely into a Duvel glass. It looks like Duvel, actually--deep, dark sunshine golden with a wonderfully retentive soapy white head.

Smells potent, very tart. Redolent lemons, yeast, orange tic tacs, and pink starburst. Very intense, very sweet and sour.

Tastes even stronger than it smells. Jesus! The sourness is amazing, so strong it should be synthetic but also smooth enough to drink. Likening it to other flavors is sort of pointless, since it doesn't quite taste like anything I've ever come across before, not even very sour candies. It's just a hugely intense, unique sourness backed up by smooth, lightly spicy yeast.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

6/12/11 - batch 001-PH1 - another one obtained from lou91 years ago.

A tart wonder - upped scores to an even 4.5

---
375ml bottle, obtained from lou91 a few years back

batch 001 - a gem

appearance: popped the cork on this one and poured into my hopleaf tulip, beautiful bright orange-amber body with a healthy white crest...very bright

smell: aromas strike up comparisons to belgian ales at first whiff...a flash of very wild yeast, sweet and floral

taste: immediately twists the tongue...rather tart with hits of green apple, apple cider vinegar, sugar, lime. This is a lovely sour with great complexity

mouthfeel: dry, tart with a lingering kick...palate dominating

drinkability: pretty strong

4.47/5  rDev 0%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Stone IRS tulip. 5.75% ABV, Batch 003 (Bottled Sept. 6, 2008).

...only to be followed by a morning of epic proportions! "King of Wilds" sweemzander breaks out the surprise beer first thing after a late breakfast to get our wild on!

A - Clear goldenrod color with heavy carbonation and a good white head. Two fingers of foam and good retention with some nice sticky lace left clinging inside the tulip.

S - Wild bugs fill the nose, Brett, Sacc., lactobacillus, all blend nicely with very mild barnyard funk. Great mildly hoppy aroma with some tart and crisp lemon citrus. A swirl brings out bigger sharp tartness like sweaty gym socks. What's wrong with us geeks for liking that in a beer?

T - Pale malt and light citrus hops get washed away instantly by tart sourness and lactobacillus sharp flavor. One-dimensional, but oh-so-good!

M - Very sharp, heavy carbonation and a tart finish with a mouth-puckering sourness. Very dry throughout the finish.

D - Such great drinkability! This one goes down so well it's hard to keep any in the glass while reviewing! Also difficult in terms of it's rarity! Thanks for the top 100 tick Sweem!

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

330mL bottle poured into taster - batch 5 - thanks rob

Pours a hazy golden straw yellow color with a bubbly white head. Retains for just a moment before dissolving into some cloudy film with a bit of lacing on the glass.

Punchy, intense tartness in the nose driven by an powerful lemony scent. Hints of citrus peel with funky wetness and hay. Light touch of oak with acid.

Zesty lemon and powerful sourness right off the bat. Citrus peel with funky tones and decent acidity. Puckering sourness continues throughout the profile, drying up on the tongue with some yeasty hints. Finishes with lemon and tartness.

Lighter medium body, slightly higher carbonation, dry, bubbly and extremely lingering on the tongue. If you're looking for an intensely sour beer that packs a punch you won't soon forget, this is the one. I've been waiting to try this for a couple years and it's lived up to the expectations.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Shared by a friend at December tasting. Batch 2 and 3 next to each other.

Notes from Batch 2
A-pours a bright golden yellow liquid that glows in the light with a creamy white head.

S-the nose is huge, tons of funk, lots of barnyard with notes of cheese. there are earthy yeasts, a fair bit of sourness in the nose with light signs of acidity. big fruits come in behind, tart lemons, sour peaches, juicy golden fruits.

T-this is very well integrated with great funk notes up front. the earthy barnyard aromas carry right into the flavor, light flavors of cheese, hints of yeast. juicy golden fruits are blended in with the funk with some tart lemon, light pear and peach flavors with a strong sourness to it.

M-the fel is livey and mouth puckering, medium to full body with a syrupy texture but soft and supple on the palate. nice dry finish and still a persistent sour feel.

D-this is extremely well balanced with a great funk to it not seen in most american sours. very gueuze like with plenty of fruit sweetness to add deep complexity and balance.

Batch 3-this is also very solid, would get a slightly lower rating. it has the same complex funk to it that Batch 2 had. It has slightly more acidity but still has the same assertive sourness. It also doesn't have the bright golden fruit presence that batch 2 has, it is there but not quite as vibrant. Integrated well but slightly less complex.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drank batch 5,6,7 side by side. 7 was rather cloudy, the other two were very nice and clean with one of them being quite a bit more amber colored than the others (can't remember which one). As far as taste goes batch 6 was far and away the best and is what my ratings represent. Batch 7 in the beginning was a bit too yeasty but as it warmed the yeast got unpleasantly overpowering. Batch 5 was very good but quit a bit drier and more astringent than the others. Batch 6 was outstanding with just enough sweetness to offset the brilliant sour flavors. All in all the beer didn't live up to my overly high expectations and memory of the last time I drank batch 6 but it's still an outstanding beer.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company