Compunction | Russian River Brewing Company

4.4
15%

Reviews: 88 | Ratings: 285
4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Just now getting my reviews for Stone Sour Fest into the old CPU.

A: Hazed hay colored brew with a medium off white head on top. Pretty straight forward.

S: Grapefruit, coins, limestone and pineapple.

T: Starts tangy like vine ripened green fruit. More tangy flavors, this time pineapple, starfruit and mango puree comes next. A beautiful brett wave crashes in, bringing with it apricot, peach, banana and yogurt flavors. Vitamin C crystals pop in the mouth, bursting with flavor. Finishes spicy with aspects of dried hay and floral yeast.

M: Medium body, hard water mouthfeel yet soft carbonation.

D: Superb. Simply tremendous.

4.71/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Brewery on Feb 14 during Younger time. This beer is flat out amazing. Ton of flavor while not being overly sour. So well balanced and up there with Supplication as my favorite RR Sours. What a treat.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

Tried this on tap at Dark Lord Day compliments of emerge077. I love Russian River and these wild sour ales are pretty much kick ass. Drank from a nice classy plastic cup (the way Vinnie intended).

Appearance- Pours a hazy golden yellow with a small bright white head that sticks around for quite a while. Leaves a decent cap and collar and some good lacing although it's hard to tell in on these stupid plastic cups.
Smell- Like you'd expect plenty of vinegary goodness stings the nostrils. Tart and fruity just the sharpness of the nose makes my mouth water. Light melon fruits such as watermelon and cantaloupe are the first thing that come to mind (it's hiding under all that twang but it's there!). Lightly funky and coarse (not as much as some) but not the focus like some other Russian River brews.
Taste- Wow, the smell prepared me for what was about to come but damn! Super sour and tart with a vinegar splash that puckers the lips. I thought it would be a bit fruitier but the amount of Brett in this badboy covers most of it up. It gets better as my mouth adjusts to the tart and the picks up a bit more. Something reminiscent of pomegranate and apricot are noticeable but all in all the acid dominates.
Mouthfeel- Medium to light body with sharp aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- At first the beer is a little tart and is definitely a sipper. Once you adjust and the nuances begin to appear though it's a fantastic brew. Probably the most sour/tart brew that I've ever tasted and I loved it. Really tasty and a great beer that I'm glad I got to enjoy while waiting for my Dark Lord.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Russian River can do no wrong on these sours. This one drank super dry and reminded me a lot of Consecration but with a nice juicy finish. Beautiful cloudy peach color and nice clean white head.

2.56/5  rDev -41.8%

On tap at DLD. 8oz. sample

A: Cloudy apricot. Short white head, frothy. Not much retention but a bit of lacing.

S: Very sour. Vinegar. Oh, man, what am I getting myself into? Sweet but with overpowering sourness.

T/M: Loads of sour cherries in the front. Sourness is massive. Very tart cherries, cranberries, raspberries. Vinegar is nearly overpowering. Body is light and feels very watery. Mild bitterness in the back. Gherkins pickles keeps popping into mind. It actually makes my mouth pucker a bit and then water to try and dilute it.

D: I haven't had too many soured beers but this is by leaps and bounds the most sour. I made it about half way through the sample and had to call it quits. The vinegar and sourness just intensified far too much. I appreciate what RR and all these breweries are doing with sours but I just don't think I'll even develop a taste for them. There have been styles that I've 'not liked so much' in the past but none that I have not at least come around to and none that I continually can't finish.

Note: Please don't flame me :)

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap poured into a goblet. Beer is a light yellow, straw collored and mostly clear with a thin off white soapy head off tap. No carbonation visible through the glass.

Nose is wet hay, sour lemon, astringency from what I believe are the pluot (or plucots) skins. Nice pungent aroma for not too much head.

Taking a sip, the sour lemon and astringency is upfront, mellowing a bit into stone fruit sweetness on the finish. Medium length finish from the sweetness and a bit of tartness and fruit peel. Funky earthiness develops as the beer warms closer to room temperature as well,

Light bodied with a decent amount of carbonation but I would have preferred a bit more bubbly on the tongue. Very easy to drink, and I think this would be great to sit outside with this on a warm day like today.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Apricot flesh colored, lacing thin but present. Smell is apricot, plum, some funk. Taste is puckering, oak up front and theoughout, pluot is mid-palate, and finishing slightly sweet and crisp. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with tartness level bringing this beer together. Complex and balanced.

3.95/5  rDev -10.2%

On-tap at O'Brien's, San Diego.

Pours a hazy light straw/gold color with a light white head. Mild sour aroma with a hint of vanilla and wheat. Light bodied with medium carbonation and easy to drink (low ABV too). Tastes of cherry, wheat, and some light yeast. Good, but not particularly compelling to me.

4.97/5  rDev +13%

Notes from Monk's Cafe Stuff-If-Ication dinner 7 June 2011

The course title: COMPUNCTION STUFFED COMPUNCTION
Huh? What is that?
Answer: Compunction Sorbet Float

we received a flute filled with a melon-baller size scoop of compunction sorbet over this AMAZING beer.

light gold in color. no head. champagne in comparison: the flute vessel, beaded carbonation, light coloration.

smelled of white grape, pear, tart cherry, grapefruit, tangerine, lime. very sharp aroma.

holy S. to be less specific, it tasted like someone went half and half with temptation and supplication. EXCELLENT. sour as hell with a lot of grapefruit, cherry, pear, peach, and pinot grigo flavors. really smooth though--of course it's smooth, what have i learned thus far? the sorbet, however, was very subtly fruity with a bit of yeast at the back end. creamy for a sorbet, too.

thinner than the other sours supplication and temptation and definitely more thin bodied. it's resembles a sparkling white wine more closely than any beer in texture and consistency i've had to date.

wow. i mean really killer. this was only a single 4oz flute pour; by far the smallest pour of the evening. i'd defenestrate to have some more of this.
cheers

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer pours a cloudy orange color, with pretty much no head. What little head that was present was slightly off white. It left some off white leace on the glass.

This beer has a sour aroma. It smells of tart fruit. It has a slight viniger aroma as well, but the viniger aroma certainly did not detract from this beer. I could also smells a slightly spicy aroma when I looked hard.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Sour, with tart fruit and viniger. The slight spicy aroma I detected was present in the flavor as well.

This beer was highly carbonated, suiting the style. It left a sour aftertaste.

I am not sure this beer would make the best session beer. It is not high in alcohol, but it is sour, and aggressive.

Overall: I loved this beer, and could probably drink it all night. I wish this beer would be made more available.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at O'Brien's Pub on 1/30/16. My tasting notes:

2015 release. Woodsy flavor and dry finish no doubt imparted from the Chardonnay barrels. Lemon-tartness marries pretty nice with the permeating stone-fruit flavors and sweetness. Best of the RR beers in a long tap list of stellar offerings.

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Big thanks to AgentSteve for trading me a growler of this expensive beer!

Opened this one inside the Lost Abbey during the Port 2nd Anniversary Party. From my notes.

Wow, oh wow!

Poured a golden color, very similar to an ipa. Very good retention.

The aroma was amazing. Malty, tart, fruity, well balanced. There was some sea salt, pear, citrus fruits, vinegar and funk. There were fruits like pears, apricots, and grapes.

The taste was very similar and also included some dry white grapes or white grape skins, vinegar and a mix of berries. Very tart but not overly sour. It had a nice dry finish that kept you asking for more. This was too easy to drink.

One of the best sour beers I have ever had.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

2009 rate.

On tap at Monk's Cafe. Let me preface this by stating that I've eaten a pluot, and I didn't care for it. I didn't get a ton of pluot influence in this beer. It poured a really clear light amber, which makes me think perhaps this would be better from closer to the bottom of the keg. Compared with the Supplication, this was was lighter in body, more sour, a little less bretty, and kind of chewier. Of course tight, refined, non-acidic, all huge positives which always make Russian River a winner in this style. It might be asking too much of the beer for it to carry a stronger pluot influence, but from what I remember that was a dull, boring fruit. Nevertheless, a nicely made, refreshing brew, kind of interesting, but I'd like to see more residual sweetness from the fruit.

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled with my cousin krkearney. Thanks keith. What a treat this is.

The beer poured a clear golden color with a thin but bubbly white head that stuck around for a bit. There was nice fruity (based on the pluots that are aged in this) aroma and some funky earthy tones as well. the taste is fruity up front, apricot maybe and tart throughout. This is another fine example of a wild ale from RR and I can't see anything wrong with this one. There is a lingering fruit taste that runs around the mouth and sticks on the tongue and some peppery notes that are mixed in as well. I think the plummy taste at the end is a nice finish to this fine beer. I really wish this made it to bottles but this sampling will do me for now.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours a deep golden color with a thin, off white head that fades quickly.

S- Very tart, ripe fruit, cranberry, lemon

T- Apricot and lemon up front leading to a fairly deep tartness.

M- Medium bodied with lots of carbonation.

D- This is an excellent sour and i'm glad I had the chance to try it. I would definitely order it again if I saw it on tap.

3.73/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tap to glass @ Russian River Brewing tap room@ Santa Rosa,CA
A: golden, hazy, cloudy,
A: Fruity, passion fruityy
T: tart heavily sour
MF:
OA: Excellent beer for the style, not to repeat, look for- not my preferred style
Drank: April 19, 2016

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

So I was lucky enough to go to Russian River twice during the two weeks they had Pliny the Younger on draft. I only had two glasses of Younger the total of both trips. This was one of the beers I kept going back to because its delicious.

This looks fairly golden with a light hue of pink or peach. It wasn't poured with a strong head and doesn't have the a lacing or leg. Its just a pretty good looking beverage, and the appearance on this won't stand out in my mind.

It is served too cold, thus muting any sort of smell. Once it warms up it reminds me a bit of Temptation. It has that great 'Russian River sour' smell to it that is crisp and sharp. A light fruit smell is detected reminding me of peach.

This is a delicious sour. It has a great sourness to it that again reminds me of Temptation, one of my favorite beers of all time. The fruit in this is sits back seat to the sourness, which is nice because the lemon and tart grapefruit that is produced by the bacteria pairs well with the pluots.

This beer gets you salivating, which is almost dangerous. Its one of those sour beers that is just sour enough that you keep revisiting it over and over to almost torture yourself. Great sourness and fruitiness with perfect carbonation.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Pour: Draught to tulip glass at the brewery. A lightly clouded pale golden ale arrives with about a half inch of white head that melts into a medium lace cap. Plenty of bubbles punctuate the body of the beer.

Nose: Rather light in the aroma, but very obviously an RR wild ale. Full of brett, must and farminess with a touch of tart fruit presence. Very dusty.

Mouth: Much like it smells - unbelievably sour, in the best way possible. Horse blanket, sour brambles, brett, puckering like you can't believe. The chalkboard says this one is aged for 1.5 years with plumcots (which in my experience are really called pluots) - a hybrid of a plum and apricot. Mouthfeel is full bodied and quite effervescent. This one takes a second for the mouth to recover from the sourness, but it goes great with the meat calzone (#2) and balances out the extra pepper flakes that I generously applied.

Why doesn't RR bottle everything?!

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

Another winner I tried on-tap at DLD.

I knew nothing about this beer before it was handed to me in line. It smells like vinegar. Really tart and fruity like the previous review stated. I also detected some melon as well.

Upon first sip, my lips puckered like alum. Holy cow is this sour. Easily the most sour beer I've had in a long, long while. But delicious! I had to pull back because I kept sipping and I needed to savor it.

I love tart everything and this was a tart beer. It was perfect after all of the heavy beers I had been drinking to stay warm before the sun came out. Kudos RR!

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours a pale yellow straw color with just a bit of haze. A pretty true white head tops it off.

S: Stone fruit (tart peach and apricot) and grannysmith apple meet a funky spice note. Oh I guess that may all be due to the pluot but its like very tart unripened pluot.

T: Brilliant carbonation (think Cantillon) which helps develop flavors. Bright peach and tangerine along with a grassy note which adds a nice tad of bitterness. Lots of tart bright yellow and green fruit is stirred around with a very clean funky spice follow. Green plumb if you will. Very nice stuff!

M: amazingly developed carbonation which strikes the mid palate in a similar way to Cantillon. If that isn't high praise I don't know what is.

O: Very good beer, I would say that while there is a good depth of flavor its heavy handed on delicious tart fruit which perhaps takes away from i'ts complexity. Age this for 5 years if you can get a bottle!

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

on tap @ RR brewery
pours light yellow, golden clear with a slight head and a bit of lacing

taste is really nice, wonderfully balacned blonde sour with some dry niceness and some incredible, unique earthy, woody, delicious notes throughout

feel is very good, dry not slick - pleasant

drinkability is fantastic, what a beautiful, refreshing blonde sour. mmm

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this on tap yesterday at the brewpub. The waitress warned me of the sourness and asked me if I would like a sample before purchasing the beverage. I declined and explained to her that these beers are why I visit the establishment.

Served in a tulip glass. Golden blonde in color with superb clarity. Head is lacking. Nice lacing.

Big acetic acid aromas with some woody smells, and pluot (plum X apricot hybrid that this beer was aged on) aromas.

Lots of sour! If memory serves me this beer is twice as sour as Temptation. Still not overwhelming. Apricot, oak, and white wine flavors stand out. Very refreshing.

Slight pucker from the sourness and tannins. Delightful. Yet another finely crafted sour ale from Russian River.

3.83/5  rDev -13%

No link because I'm at the brewery dudes...pours a hazy amber, middling carbonation, and the bubbles are tiny! Champagne like...tiny wisp of head adorns this, like melted marshmallows that are just starting to cool...nice so far...only 6% ABV, I'm surprised...nose is dominated by sour peach...and tart cherry...very typical for their sours, but peachier....not much else in there but it's crisp and robust...flavor is mostly brett sourness and a lot of that peach from the nose....apparently they used pluots in this brew, and I'm getting that now that I think about it...the carbonation is super crazy on the tongue...like a Black Metal blast beating...it's all over the place. Did I mention I'm going to see Steve Smyth, Lance Skitzo abd all the rest as Sweet Leaf tonight?? Well I am...in any event..this beer is a subtler version of their various sours...I like...

What I like most: the subdued brett profile and beautiful color.

What I like least: the price at $6.75/glass and lower ABV

Verdict: fans of sours must try it...nuanced and excellent...

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

A: The pour significantly darker than its Sanctification counterpart. I had a pour of Sanctification prior to this pour of Compunction.

S: The nose starts off with lots of tannins from the oak and pluots. Significant amounts of sour fruit smell gets the salvation glands kicked in to high gear for what is coming.

T: Smooth for a sour beer - perhaps a bit too smooth. Lots of dry oak notes along with pluot/sour fruit notes. A mild acidity and less bitterness than San.

M: The body is medium with a moderate to high carbonation and a very crisp finish. Think green apple bite.

D: I will be back for more as I was very impressed. Watching the Chargers/Raiders game at the brewery left a sour taste in my mouth... but I think this beer was sourer.

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at the brewpub. Pours surprisingly light-- straw-colored with two fingers of fine, dense white foam. Carbonation rushes up the center of the glass in a continuous column of tiny bubbles, champagne style. Lots of lace. Holy shit, it even LOOKS sour.

The aroma is pure acid, lots of vinegar and a little lactic acid character. In the background is Brett funk, definitely musty and cidery, although I'm not getting "horse blankets" in this beer (if I ever actually smelled horse blankets in any beer.)

The flavor opens up fruity, with loads of stone fruits-- peaches and apricots, definitely. I didn't know what the fuck a pluot was at the time (it's half plum and half apricot, according to Wikipedia) but apparently this is what it tastes like. Mid-palate, finish, and the next three days are all dominated by sourness. I can honestly say that this is the sourest beer I've ever tasted in my life, and that I honestly mean this in a good way.

Mouthfeel is ruled by sourness, with only a little room for the bright carbonation.

I think the extreme sourness of this beer might cut into the drinkability a little bit (which means a lot coming from a guy who thinks that Girardin Gueuze is a session beer), but it kicks so much ass I'd keep drinking it until it corroded away my last tooth and burnt a hole in my throat.

Compunction from Russian River Brewing Company