Deviation - Bottleworks 9th Anniversary | Russian River Brewing Company

rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by mnapier on 04-02-2008

3.13/5  rDev -31.8%

Served on draught at Brower's for Bottleworks' 10th anniversary party in a 12 oz snifter, Deviation is a glowing bronze with a small, creamy white head that has long last and leaves heavy lace. Very nice looking indeed.

Smell is a nice fruity lactic tartness, sour cherries mostly, a touch of citrus perhaps.

Taste is disappointing to me. Maybe it's because I just left Bottleworks, where they were hawking this for a vulgar $60 a bottle! Couple the $9 cost of this 12 oz pour, and the fact that I hold such high regard for *most* of the Russian River sours, I expected to be getting a fantastic deal on a fantastic beer. Price and rarity aside, I just didn't much care for the taste of this, and consider myself to be a well educated taster of 'wild' brews. Basically, I felt this was way too dry and salty, with a hint of baking soda as well, and lacked depth of flavor entirely. The sourness seemed to be all lacto, which I like, but I didn't get any of the fruit flavors I got in the nose, and the saltiness reminded me of an over Burtonized homebrew.

Mouthfeel is very acidic and dry, but some oiliness, and pretty creamy when swished around.

Drinkability isn't to high to me, to one dimensional, and if I'd paid $60 for this I'd be hugely pissed at myself for being suckered in. I hate to skew the ratings on this, but not nearly as much as when people rate something highly just because it's rare, expensive, or they don't get why they disagree with everyone's scores and rate it high anyways! And all things considered, I'm only human, and had I known nothing about this before I had it, those 2.5's would be lower...because honestly, I was not impressed, and this beer was less then average for the style.

3.82/5  rDev -16.8%

Thanks to KRAMER17801 for sharing this retired 750ml at his holiday party.

A - Poured a hazy apricot-colored body with a thin, wispy white head, which yielded spotty lace that slid down the sides of the glass.

S - Initial aroma offers a sour citrus twang with moderate band-aid notes and a subtle alcohol presence.

T - Flavor is quite acidic with plenty of sour citrus fruit and grape character, tart apple skins and band-aid notes. Some sweet notes emerge in the backend to counter the intense sourness.

M - Thin to medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. Finishes with lots of pucker on the tongue.

D - Good Wild Ale, but they all start to taste the same after a while. Glad I had an opportunity to sample yet another RR creation, though.

3.86/5  rDev -15.9%

The pour appear golden to amber with a lasting dirty white head that coats the glass as you drink. The nose has some oak, bretty funk, a bit of pineapple, and a bit of a cottage cheese or yogurt. Very tart and tangy. Mixed fruit flavors, and tannic. Medium working on full body. Average amount of carbonation and a bone dry finish. A very good beer from a style that I don't typicaly appriciate.

3.86/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous looking beer, an orange color with a well lasting and well developed creamy white foam. Fairly subtle aromatics with oak derived nuances of vanilla and toasted wood along with fruits, funk and brett. Nicely balanced and soft. Lemon, vanilla, creme, wood. Very nice sour/wild ale.

3.93/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear honey orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour with malt, grain, fruit, funk, acidic, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with sour grain, fruit, funk, and wood flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink, but you can tell this one definitely has some age on it.

Serving type: bottle.

Not sure how this used to taste but it's quite sweet. It balances out the sourness but it doesn't quite do it for me. Still tasty though overall!

4.05/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy deep orange. Tiny head.

Smell - Sharp lactic acid. Some lemon and hay. Slight acetic note.

Taste - Nice lactic acid. Citrus sourness. Hay. A little lambicky. Grainy. Funky and a little peppery.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is still really good. Impressive for an American sour.

4.05/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Orange-red clear body. Moderate sized off-white head, visible carbonation. No lacing.

S: Lemon and orange acidic notes. A bit of acetic and lactic sourness. Light musty oak.

T: Orange, tangerine, and lemon acidic notes. Delicate must and funk. Well integrated but not particularly memorable.

M: Lively, but well matched carbonation. Strong tartness towards the back end. Refreshingly clean finish.

O: Call me a heretic, I just didn't see what was "special" about this beer. It was tasty, but not particularly unique, memorable or interesting.

4.08/5  rDev -11.1%

Shared at recent tasting with Chicago crew. Pours a hazy orange with a white head, good retention throughout. Smell is oak, straw, barnyard, lots of lemons and sour citrus. Taste is very tart lemons, some orange zest, a bit of funk and oak. Mouthfeel is light and creamy with a moderate carbonation, very nice for a style that seems to be dominated by dry, highly carbonated beers. Overall a very drinkable beer, but not my favorite American wild.

4.12/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -9.6%

Thank you Steve for this. I honestly didn't know that this had existed until he plopped it down on the counter and said "Lets not look at it, let's crack it open." I was extremely exited to try it to say the least. We split the bottle between 8 of us and poured into small sampling glasses.

Appearance was gold and hazy. Very crisp, thin, but aggressive head. Looks like a beautiful sour

Smell: Very sour funk smell. Actually took my by complete surprise. After a few more sniffs, I could find a citrus smell past the funk.

Taste: I don't like a lot of sours. This was unreal in its flavor and complexity. It really punched hard at first but the acidity tapered off fairly quickly into a very sweet and citrusy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and aggressive on the tastebuds

Overall this beer was phenomenal. I would have never thought that I would have drank this. I am very honored and excited to have this empty bottle now sitting on my shelf.

4.16/5  rDev -9.4%

4.17/5  rDev -9.2%

Another great sour beer from Russian River. Had on tap at their fourth anniversary party this weekend. This beer made the two hour drive worth it.

Poured a deep copper brown. Smelled of funky, sour cherries, with some sourdough bread mixed in. Tasted tart, sour, funky, with some dark fruit sweetness coming through at the end. A very enjoyable beer, but like all wild ales, can only have so many. Still I wish I could have got a growler of this to take home.

4.17/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Copper body beautiful. Murky muddy deliciousness. Fine film of mystery to top it.

Nose is smoothe sour. Muted with strains of earthiness, wood and lemon sour.

Initially the liminal layer is smoothe raw lemon, but the back of the throat starts puckering immediately. Smoothe balance goes out the window quick and it just slides into a world of piercing bitterness.

So glad Dr. Durf graduated to convince me to buy it, and that Team Debauch could get together and enjoy it!!

Deviation - Bottleworks 9th Anniversary from Russian River Brewing Company