Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Happy Hops | Russian River Brewing Company

4.1/5
Exceptional

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by ArrogantB on 08-21-2008

4.87/5  rDev +18.8%

Served from a growler, poured one day after fill, almost exactly 24 hours.

A- Golden orange, with a nice head and near perfect lacing.

S- Lots of juicy aromatic hops not quite the smell of an ipa, but rivals row 2 as one of the best pales I've ever had.

T- Wow. This is better than most ipas I've tasted. Tons of tropical fruit, but a citrusy, lemony semi dry finish that makes this too easy to drink.

M- Perfect carbonation especially considering it was served from a growler a day old.

O- Im so glad I had the last impulse to get a growler of this instead of a second hopfather. Better than I remember it being, this is one of the best beers of this style I have had the pleasure of trying. Once again Russian River proves themselves to be the best of the best.

4.81/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +15.6%

Growler filled on July 13. Sampled many times over the days since. Based on the intensity of aroma, this is quite fresh.

A: Clear, classic American pale ale, between golden and amber. Nice head, receding to a small cap with lots of lacing. Pretty much what you'd hope for, though nothing out of the ordinary.

S: SO MUCH mosaic! Very fruity and resinous nose. Definite melon and berry aroma abounds.

T: The nose, but more so. Minimal malts, coated in delicious blueberry/watermelon.

M: Medium-bodied, smooth, so so poundable. It's hard to believe I didn't finish the growler in the first day of opening. Easily the most drinkable Russian River beer. Which is saying something.

O: Totally spectacular for its class, and not generally in the conversation for best American pale. I like this better than anything else I've had, including Zombie Dust, Row 2, and several others with the hype. Make mine Happy Hops!

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

I had this beer on tap at Russian River as well as from a growler a day after my visit. The beer has a nice bright golden color. The smell pulls you in with lot of sweet citrus notes and only slight hints of pine. The beer has a thin white head but sufficient carbonation. The flavor is as good as any pale ale I've had. This was the best beer I tasted from Russian River on my trip out there. The initial taste is light and citrusy. The flavor is sweeter than most pale ales with only enough bitterness to keep the beer in balance. This beer was a hit with veteran beer drinkers as well as novices on NYE. In terms of comparison, the beer was less aggressive than Pliny and a bit sweeter. I would ship this beer in by the case if it were bottled. The incredible balance within the use of hops sets this beer apart. The sweetness is certainly not a cloying sweetness; it was just the one aspect that set it apart from the other pale ales at Russian River in my opinion.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure what hops went into this, or if this is a rotator, but it was selling like mad at The Hop Grenade in Concord today. It also comes off a little more skunky/citrusy in the nose than the Altamont Scarcity I had next to it.

My wife said she wanted something hoppy and lighter, and man, she straight-up loved this! So did I. When I try beers that I can't easily replicate, I have to give props. This is a legit Pale Ale...no doubt!

First, let me say RR doesnt make a bad beer, and I would put this just below Row 2 Hill 56 in the APA department (which is my all-time fav APA). Seriously though, Row 2 and HH are pretty close.
I cut my teeth on SNPA and FWP31 in the late 1990's/early 2000's and this grabs them both by the neck like a pal with 'a nod' to the future.

If you ever get a chance to try a pint, do it.

A, 93+

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

4.59/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden straw color, with a white head.

S: Tropical fruit and citrus in the nose.

T: Hoppy, citric, and notes of tropical fruit. Delicious pale ale.

M: Typical pale ale body/carbonation. Very drinkable.

O: Well worth a trip to Russian River from anywhere in the bay area. A great pale ale.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a clear, bright golden orange color with a medium white head that hangs around for a little. Scent is hoppy as hell! Definitely does not smell like a blonde ale...in fact, the server told me they labeled it as an American Pale Ale. Either way, it smells delicious! Dank hops with a bit of citrus and a lot of pine. Taste is exactly as it smells. Tons of fresh hop flavor and bitter pine taste. Lovely citrus and floral notes with roasted malt. A very well-balanced beer. Mouthfeel is dry and crisp...very refreshing. Drinkability is very high. Overall, I've ranted and praised Three Floyds and Half Acre for their amazing way of crafting American Pale Ales (Alpha King, Zombie Dust, Daisy Cutter)... and Russian River now steps in to that playing field. Apparently they weren't content with just being king of IPAs/DIPAs/Wild Ales...They now compete with the best in the APA category. Awesome beer!

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%