Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Ratings: 5,267 |  Reviews: 1,159

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle date 07.18.13. Pours a ruby brown with a thin, quickly dissipating off white head. No lacing. Lots of dark stone fruit and vinegar on the nose with gobs of oak, vanilla and red wine, what an aroma! Incredibly complex. Sour on the tongue with lots of oak, vanilla, red wine and black cherry. Ends slightly bitter but doesn't last long. The complexity helps tame the 10% ABV. Medium bodied with silky mouthfeel. Carbonation is intense initially but overall rather light. Finishes dry. Overall, a beautifully crafted American Wild Ale that takes its place in the pantheon of great sours!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pours a deep red with very little head that doesn't linger for more than a few seconds. Definitely has a unique smell of raisin, Cabernet wine, champagne and sour dark fruits like prunes or dates. Initial taste is one of a rolling bubble champagne but complex taste where I really got some of the red wine flavors. Overall very delicious and a fairly heavy hitter for a wild on the alcohol content.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

I've had the opportunity to have this on three separate occasions. Once at GABF, and twice at home with some bottles I was able to find while out there. The beer at first is unassuming. It pours a cloudy, hazy, mahogany with a small, tiny head. Then you smell it. Smell is oaked funk. Very sour, with a sufficiently huge aroma. First taste is an explosion on the tongue, with a huge sour note exploding outwards midway through the first taste. Wow. That's really all I can say. Must be tasted to be believed. The standard bearer for sour beers. . Pliny gets all the press but this beer deserves all the accolades - and more. Most assuredly up there with my favorites of all time.

Outrageous

Outrageous

Outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous outrageous.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

750ml bottle (batch 001X3) poured into my large St. Feullien goblet (I was gonna go with one of the Russian River glasses, but they're all pretty ugly and none of them have the nucleation etching like this one), Consecration is a brilliant ruby with an off-white head that is pretty quick to settle to a thick skim, leaving light lace.

Smell is vinous, tart dark berries, caramel, not overly rich, even at cellar temp, but very nice. The constant crackle keeps it lively and enticing without overwhelming.

Taste is very nice. Immediately it reminds me of Oerbier Special Reserve, probably my favorite beer of all time. Which makes it all the harder for me to overlook that fact that I buy that for few less dollars for an equal volume, and that it comes from drastically further distance from a brewery that ages it for at least an extra year or so before release. Still, value is not a factor in taste, and on that accord there are very few that pale. Like most Flanders style beers, especially the stronger ones, I really wish I'd had this with the massive rib eye au poivre I had earlier, rather then splitting the Shiraz with my wife. Consecration is more overtly fruity (then the De Dolle), and is not that funky, although it's obviously pretty young, but is nevertheless fantastic.

Mouthfeel is medium light, a crisp creamy carbontion, with just enough maltiness to keep it from being to thin. Very digestible, and the coating of the tannins on the mouth is pleasant and really ties in the wine barrel aging.

Drinkability is high, as this is about as good as it gets for me taste wise. My only ding is the cost, in that comparable beers in it's class (the aforementioned De Dolle, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien, etc...) are quite a bit less, and they all come from another continent, not a days drive south of me. Still, this is a masterful beer that I'm glad to see will be somewhat regularly available, demanding a high proportion of my beer budget until they ramp up and price down! In fact, the more I contemplate this beer, the more impressed I am, perhaps one of the best I've ever had - again, only the De Dolle being on par. Wow, this beer is just an incredible mind blower. As I worked though it, I had to bump it up to a 5, in spite of the price, because it was just so dang good, in spite of the young age!

Edit - I had to pop an 06 Oerbier Special Reserve to compare with the last glass of the Consecration, these notes are all from the perspective of the De Dolle:

a-much larger head, more lace, duller, murky body
s-much drier, more mineral, bright
t-less complexity, more (very clean) alcohol, less depth, more wood, less tannins. RR is fruitier, DD is earthier, and has less depth.
m-a bit less carbonation but still hanging strong, lighter, drier.
d-good, but I'm shocked to see I prefer the RR in the shootout. The oakiness is a bit much, it hasn't gotten overly funky like I'd hope with the age, and the depth doesn't match the RR. I like a sweeter beer, or more sour, but the aged DD reminds me of the disappointing 05 Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien I had on xmas eve, which was also over oaked and not that sour.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours from caged and corked 750 ML bottle(Batch 001X2) a clear amber brown with a very spritzy head of foam. When it's spritzy, I know it's not going to last very long and it didn't. The bubbles surfacing to the top are keeping a small island afloat, so to speak. Hehe..the foam reminds me of pixels on a computer screen...

The smell is just as I remember from the samples I had at last year's GABF...Cabernet Sauvignon notes dominate with big notes of vanilla and oak and fruit that *is* currants. I love red currants on buttered toast and the smell here totally reminds me of that.

The taste is deliciously both sweet and tart up front. Maybe a bit more intense than I remember from the 1 oz samples but hey, I love that it is and I love the fact that I now have 25.4 oz, give or take a few as I've just taken a few sips, to take my time with and savour. The foam is now gone but I can still see the lively carbonation throwing up....errr...tossing...err..the bubbles are still making their way to the top nearly smack damn in the center of the glass.
Back to the taste. I'm now getting a pretty big kick from the Brett(sorry, I have a hard time spelling it out) and I'd be amiss if I didn't say there's a fair amount of caramel malt here, hence my first sentance on taste. Gee wiz this is so damn tasty and there's so much going on with the flavours, I can't describe them all properly.

Medium mouthfeel and pretty high carbonation, a plus in my book, it finishes with big sour and Brett notes. Wonderful!

Drinkability? 10%abv and I cannot taste it or feel it during or after the swallow. No warming for me at all but I *know* that when I finish this big bottle, I'll feel that all is right with the world, if that makes any sense. ;^)

Bottom line: A superb! American Wild Ale that I fell in love with from my very first sip. A must try for anyone who favours the style!

Finally..a big Thank You goes out to The Wine Underground in Englewood CO for making this available online!

11/22/13 bottle.

A: Dark reddish brown with thin active head and good amount of bubbles from carbonation.

S: Deep rich acidic aroma. Sharp with it hints of grapes.

T: Tangy and tart. Complex mix of wine, fruit, acid and wood. Whoa! The first few sips overwhelm your mouth until it adjusts. Hides the alcohol mostly, just a faint taste in the background.

M: A bit thinner than I expected but might feel lighter due to the pretty high initial carbonation. I assumed more body but was very satisfied with it when paired with the taste.

Overall, top notch example of a barrel aged sour. A bit immature so I will store the 2nd bottle for another year or so to compare.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Grabbed some bottles of this from my local supplier La Bodega. Thanks for carrying some sweet stuff in a beer wasteland such as Riverside.

Poured into my Russian River Barrel aged snifter. Pours a nice looking dark brown with a thick tan head that dissapated to about 1/4" and stayed there. Not alot of sticky lacing though.

Smells of alot of bret funk with tart cherries and some oak. Smells like this is gunna be awesome.

Taste is wonderful hands down best sour I have had so far. You can really taste the wine notes from the barrels and the oak and bret mixed with the malts is sublime. Wonderful

Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. Couldn't ask for more.

Drinkability is high and usually I can't drink that many sours in a row but I could drink the entire 750 by myself but I'm being nice and sharing it with a buddy. Glad I bought a couple.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours out a dark reddish clear brown with one finger of white suds and lots of lacing.
Smell is just the best. Sour grape and cherry and dewberry and a slight lemon zest. Something in the back like a sweet soad pop. Grape?
Bubbley wine and vinegar sugar in a complex malt.
This one is over the top. Can't tell it's a
10%er. Burst of lemon and dry candy sour green apple candy and a very strong raspberry/grape sourness. The cab and the wood really come through.
Mouthfeel is just perfect. Clean enough and dirty at the last. The aftertaste lasts and lasts.
Drinkablilty is great here. I love this. Perfect.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a gorgeous dark ruby red color with a pinkish white head. Smells of sour cherries, vinegar, some oak, and some more overly ripe fruits. Wow. The taste opens up the palate with a smack of tartness that follows with sour apples, cherries and wine. Dryness throughout helps to balance out the sourness. Super dry finish. Wow. RR really killed it here. Probably my favorite sour to date. World-class stuff.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75