Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

#115

Ratings: 5,342 |  Reviews: 1,170

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

375ml bottle poured into a Russian River '-tion' glass. Bottle provided courtesy of Exiled, thanks Jason!

Batch 004x3

This is really my first foray into the American Wild Ale category, a style quite unique with so much differentiation between the many beers within it. Some could be barnyard funky, some mouth-puckeringly sour. Russian River wilds are renowned for being of the sour variety, and are just frequently referred to as the RR Sours. I got this specific beer a few months ago in a trade and was waiting for a good time to open it, but just decided on a whim to throw it in the fridge today as I pretty much had nothing left waiting for me there. Good enough for me!

A - The cork releases with a huge pop, reassuring me that my caution in holding tight wasn't for naught. Even after just opening it, a slow rising wisp brings aromas of sour cherries. A deliberate pour unleashes a modest 1-finger, almost pure white head that is noisy as hell. Lots of hissing as it sheds some carbonation. Very active head, even after most of it quickly fades away. It reduces to thin, small islands floating on top of the beer, and multiple nucleation points let carbonation quickly rise, hit the surface, and then quickly disperse to the edges of the glass, leaving a nice ring there. The body is pretty normal looking; a dark golden brown amber with great clarity. As the glass empties, there's not much lacing left behind.

S - Moving to the nose, it's very difficult to decipher everything that's going on here. There's a little bit of funk here, but not overwhelmingly so. I can easily tell the cherries are tart and are going to impose a ton of sourness. Some light malts as well. There's something incredibly familiar about this beer but I can't place it for the life of me. Maybe some solvent smells? Not sure but each time I smell I get something different. Smells a bit of wine.

T - After the first sip I'm a bit stunned. In a way that makes me surprised and excited that beer can take so many different shapes and forms and keep bringing new things to the palate. There's so much going on here as well. Sour cherries, blackcurrants, grapes, a bit of oak from the barrels... it's all here. The alcohol is very well hidden as well which could be a blessing or a curse. The solvent note from the smell is back here and lends itself to a bit of a medicinal characteristic. At first the beer is very tart, but as the palate acclimates to it, it becomes a bit easier to drink, yet sometimes I liked to swish it around just to get the puckering sourness back.

M - Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation. Sourness lingers throughout the whole mouth after drinking this. Great feeling.

D - Drinkability is high. Dangerously drinkable for the ABV, I'm excited that my one of my first entrances into Wilds went over so well. Guess it didn't hurt I went with a pretty solid contender, but I can definitely see myself drinking more of this and even more of the RR sour portfolio.

Also, for some reason, I am getting a vibe of cool forests when drinking this, not exactly sure why, but it's a great, relaxing feeling.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company