Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Ratings: 5,311 |  Reviews: 1,167
4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass.

Thanks to G311 (and the Mathmagicland BIF) for this beast!

My first RR wild, so let's do this. It pours a translucent dark garnet topped by a fizzy tan foam that's just too effervescent to exist for very long, kinda like those crazy man-made elements at the end of the periodic table. The laser etch at the base of my glass must be workin', 'cause a perpetually resurgent ring o' fizz is dancing around on the surface. Good times. The nose comprises a good amount of funk, oak, sour grapes, sourdough, prunes, and a touch of a bleu cheese/ranch blend. I can only assume this is one of those wild/sour beers. Am I right? Regardless, the fizzy ring continues to mock the lack of perpetual motion machines out there. The taste is a new kind of melange for me: sour berries, sour apples, rye bread, a slight bit of vinegar, extra sweet toffee in background spurts, some of that blue cheese again, and an underlying current of oak. I'm both pleased and intrigued, leading to a clear desire for more of this. The body appears to be a whispy medium, with a surprisingly slight carbonation and a very smooth, fluid feel. Overall, a very tasty and interesting brew. Simply put: get some!

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

750ml bottle poured from into a Portsmouth goblet. Batch 001x0, received in a trade with Bryanbrick...thanks Bryan!!

A - Pours a deep ruby, brown color. I slightly thin, bordering on soda-like. A steady and vibrant stream of never-ending bubbles rises and keeps a constant head in the glass.

S - Tart sourness, some fruitiness from the currants. Very nice, but not as complex as I expected. Just finished sampling an Ithaca Brute, and not getting as much aroma from this one. Maybe the Brute was just so good...

T - Tart, sour, fruity...somewhat grape and red wine-like in flavor. Sour, but not overwhelminglhy sour. Pretty smooth. Elements of raisins, sour cherries there too.

M - Light bodied, lots of carbonation. Very nice.

D - Quite nice...and very drinkable. Going well with pizza. Definitely could have more of this...very good.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

375ml bottle served at 55 degrees,poured into a snifter.Batch 5 I believe.

A. Big pop as I take out the cork,Pours a beautiful ruby red,especially held upto the light.Very clear and lots of carbonation.A one finger head leaves as quickly as it came and left no lacing what so ever.

S. Big red wine smell, sour grapes pucker my mouth before I even taste (I'm a sour greenhorn) in anticipation.Definately picking up the oak in the nose,And A bit of the alchohol.

T. At first very sour and dry! I can't explain to much I do get some of that barn yard smell along with sour grapes. What I like best is it mellows out in the end with the oak.

M. Medium feel is nice. prickly carbonation stings the pallet.

Overall this is only my second sour ever and I enjoyed it quit a bit.I have another in the celler, interested to see what age does to it.Try this if you have not tried it yet.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

On draft at Toronado SF, Memorial Day.

A - The color of apple juice with a hint of pink. Not much in the way of head or lacing at all. I actually had someone ask me if I was drinking juice... in Toronado. Hmph.

S - Wow, much more tartness and sourness than I was expecting. This really slapped me in the face at first. Plenty of apple, berry, and malt vinegar. You can smell this beast from three feet away. The appearance really does NOT do it justice.

T - At first, there's a ton of sour fruit -- currants, blackberries, and red grapes, followed by sour apples, maybe some candied sugar, and finally that lactic sourness, malt vinegar. Really a ton of depth here, I keep getting something different every time I take a sip. Outstanding flavor.

M - Very nice, although maybe just a bit thin towards the finish. Fairly dry, which probably contributed to how fast I finished the glass.

D - Well, the ABV is very well hidden, which didn't give me a problem. But the tartness might keep me from having more than one in a sitting, which is less a fault of this beer and maybe just my reaction to the style.

O - Great; I could definitely see myself starting out with one of these every time I stop in there.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, served in a wine glass (we were on vacation). Reddish pour with a strong white head that dissipated fast. The cabernet and currents comes through strong on the nose and the flavor. Sweet, its a sipper. This is an awesome offering, but I think the cab/currants came through a little strong. This kind of reminds me of a sweet port - great for an after dinner sip, but nothing I would want with food.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Beachwood BBQ poured into a tulip. Appears reddish brown with a thin cap that is not sticking. Aroma is sour cherries (the currants?), vinegar, barrel notes of oak and grape, plus tobacco and the yeast/bacteria funk. Flavors start with puckering tart cherry, ease into light fruit sweetness, and end with those drying red wine elements. Medium-full bodied, silky texture, active carbonation, and a dry finish. Complex and interesting overall.

Reviewed from notes 1/10/2011

A: sour cherries, very tart, semi-sweet

Ap: amber-red with a small white to off-white head (the top layer of the glass only) that dissipated very quickly. absolutely no lacing.

B/T: moderate carbonation, lots of tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue

Af: definitely sour! taste like tart cherries, a little bit of sweetness in the mix

O: sour cherry sippin' beer

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

On-Tap @ Belmont Station poured into Tulip glass.

Pours a rich plum color with some glowing red hues and a light, fluffy tan colored head that quickly burns out into a nice thin wispy ring around the glass. The aroma is filled with tart berries, touches of oak and just a plain overall sour aroma. The flavor is very much the same with tart berries being the first thing you taste and eventually allows for some oak and touches of earthy hops to shine through and finishes very dry. Its a very effervescent beer and is light bodied. This is quite a tasty beer. It has very nice sourness which doesn't blast you away but definitely makes you pucker. The alcohol is very well hidden and will sneak up on you if you aren't careful as this is an easy drinker. Lovely, delicious stuff.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at RR in Santa Rosa. Poured in a short glass to a cloudy brownish-ornage with medium thick off-white head that lingers well and leaves okay lacing. Nose is sour red fruit and hops, mouthfeel thick and tangy-sweet and the taste a perrfect follow to the scents in the nose, with some alcohol added in at mid-glass. Like a good Flemish Sour, the finish was long and a rush of tangy fruit, quickly followed by a warming sugar sweetness.

Not quite the Duchesse, but a damn good Sour.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 031315

Poured a reddish brown color

Cabernet characters and smells, tartness for sure.

Tasted the sour cherries along with the cabernet, tart up front. Almost like drinking a wine instead of a beer.

Complex tastes, but a well brewed beer!

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 750 ml corked and caged, maroon label with a large knife on it. Barrel aged 6 months, 10 % ABV, batch 001X2.

Appearance: Pours dark red, with quite a bit of carbonation. Large head fades quickly to almost none.

Smell: Definitely sour, smells a bit like maraschino cherries (real ones, not the bright red sugar bombs). Dark fruit with just a hint of nuttiness.

Taste: It is always a bit of a challenge for me describing sour beers - but this has all the flavors I like to see. Definitely a bit puckering, plenty of sourness without being overpowering. Dark fruit flavors, mainly cherry.

Overall impression: Another great wild offering from Russian River. It is amazing that we can get these in Colorado now - the CO beer scene just keeps getting better!

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

from notes...

Batch 003x1

Poured into a snifter. WHOA! The carbonation in this beer is the most I've ever seen. The pour didn't leave much head, but the bubbles rapidly rose from the bottom to the top for the duration of it's time spent in my glass.

Oak, dark wine, and grape is all I'm getting from the aroma.

Taste was pretty sour. Definitely pick up the Cabernet and oak. With that I pick up some dark berries. I also got some malt action which complimented the those dark fruits very nicely.

The mouthfeel was fairly dry and tingly from the carbonation.

Overall this was a pretty solid beer. I found it to be similar to others in the Russian River line (Supplication & Damnation) in that it reminded me of a beer/champagne and wine all wrapped up into one. Very complex. I hope to visit this again when my palate has become more developed.

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25