Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Ratings: 5,429 |  Reviews: 1,185

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%

4.69/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man RR nails it every time. By now the beer nerds are bored with these same old wine BA sours from northern CA but seriously they're kinda perfect. Funky, fruity, rich flavors and aromas. Vinous and oaky. Would age well. Good now. Go get some.

3.34/5  rDev -25.6%

500 mL bottle, corked and caged, split with my buddy Griff and poured into my two belgian Petrus snifter glasses. Review done from my notes from last night.

A: Pours a murky-brown color with an off-white head that dissipated quickly.

S: The nose is of pure sweetness and funk.

T: Tart fruits and sourness. Lots and lots of sourness. I'm trying to pick up on other things here... pick out certain types of tart fruits, but I'm struggling. Maybe some very mild cherry, but it's tough to tell as this is just overwhelmingly sour to me.

Taste also has a vinegar-red-wine sourness that you get if you open up a bottle of red, don't finish it, put it in your refrigerator for a week or so, then take it back out and drink it.

I will say this, the 10% ABV is very hidden here. I don't pick up on any alcohol presence at all.

M: This beer finishes sour. I'm not sure what else to say about this.

D: It was fun to try... a lot of fun to try. But it's not terribly drinkable for me. I wouldn't have wanted another one that night, and I don't think I would be interested in trying it again until some time passes. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never try it again, just not anytime in the next several weeks.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks dagsy for the amazing extra

Pours a deep ruby with soda like off white head. Smells like vinagar with some fruity tones. Tastes like tart plums and blackberries with a little bit of oak and a slight alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is light with fairly high carbonation. I had this beer years ago and hated it but I think I just got a bad bottle...this was very suprising.

4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Batch 4
Appearance - Pours a clear, dark cherry color. No head or lacing.
Smell - Lots of grape and funk.
Taste - Deep tart grape/currant flavor. Intense sourness, lacks some complexity.
Mouthfeel - Light medium-bodied with carbonation on the low end to perhaps medium. Fine bubbles. Very dry.
Drinkability - Quite drinkable and refreshing.
Overall - A very enjoyable sour, though I felt that this one could probably use some time in the bottle and the vinous notes were rather disappointing. I found Supplication to be markedly better,
though I'd like to try this one again with more patience and allow it to warm more (served at cellar temperature; did notice it improved as it warmed beyond that).

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Reviewed from notes on 8-21-10. Split 750 mL 4 ways with TCGoalie, zoso1967, and BuckyFresh.

A: Pours a ruby-raspberry red with a white to khaki hued, one finger head. The lacing is excellent, highlighted by clumpy chunks of foamy head. A very sizzling effervescence from the carbonation is pleasing to my eye. A surprised face is staring at me from the good head retention.

S: A sour, yeasty, and cherry aroma combination greets my nostrils. Some hints of banana bread and lemon zest are also evident. This is not a huge aroma, but the Cabernet Sauvignon oak barrel aging is more and more apparent with deeper inhales, and even more so as the beer warms.

T: As soon as Consecration hits my lips, the tartness of the beer explodes onto my palate. So very sour... but an iron and earthy bitterness is ever present, as well. The cherry and cabernet tastes are well blended with the wild yeasts to create a huge and explosive flavor. Every time I take a sip, my eyes just fly open from the tartness of this brew.

M: The sides of my palate are just bombarded with a puckering sourness that quickly spreads to the rest of my mouth. This is a phenomenal, wild, tart attack on my mouth - I love it. A nicely dry finish leaves my palate quite clean.

D: I will certainly seek this out again and be very excited to imbibe it. I did split this four ways, though, and that is about all that my mouth could handle in a sitting. Russian River, wow. Another great brew.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company