Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Ratings: 5,303 |  Reviews: 1,165

4.85/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%

Batch 007 (James Bond!) (This is either 2011 or 2010, not sure which) poured from a cellar aged bottle into a snifter. So awesome to finally get this!

Appearance: No head to speak of. Hazy, vermilion on the bottom, the beer becomes more burnt orange toward the top. Really beautiful colors here.

Smell: A bit of oak, a hint of funk. Smells sour, like I'd expect a flanders oud bruin to smell. I can get a bit of red wine in there too, maybe a little brown sugar. I like this more than I do most sour smells.

Taste: Wow, thats sour. I'd say it's a vinegar kind of sour, which isn't bad in this context. Perhaps lemon might be a better way to describe it. The currants this is supposedly aged with aren't really coming through. Closer to the end I begin getting some of the red wine character. The tiniest bit of bitterness, but also a little bit of sweetness on the end. This style of sour isn't my favorite, but this is very nice.

Mouthfeel: Really nice. Lots of carbonation, which is awesome in this style. It's light and very drinkable.

Overall: Glad I finally got a chance to try this after months of begging my californian friends to send me some. Really solid brew. Not sure I'd seek out a whole lot more of it, but it's very good.

3.75/5  rDev -15%