Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Ratings: 5,304 |  Reviews: 1,165

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Another Russian River homerun.

Having long been a lover of sours, I couldn't have been more excited to try this beer. Thankfully my girlfriend indulged me and we made the pilgrimage up to Toronado's for Russian River TION night.

The first sip of this beer, I knew I was in for something special. I've had beers that tried to toe the line between beer and wine before (Craftsman's Cabernale... I'm looking at you) but never have I had one that did it this successfully.

I took a sip and handed it to my girlfriend, the wine snob to my beer geek, and waited for her verdict.

"Wow, this is really good."

"Yeah, I know!"

Trying to describe this beer, it is just so difficult to do it justice. The flavors are many and layered. Probably one of the most complex beers I've ever had.

My attempt: Notes of black currant, sour cherry, oak, all with a perfect touch of acid and funk that compliments the beer, rather than defines it.

This is going to be a tough beer to find, but trust me, the search will be worth it. This is one of those breakthrough beers that really pushes a new style to the forefront.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

A- pours a dark reddish shade of brown with a half finger head that fades nearly instantly. Some of the head sticks around on the top of the glass and around the edges...it just LOOKS evil, like some sort of witches brew...god its awesome, constantly bubbling.

S- strong cherries with a bit of a tartness to them. Getting some of an aroma of a wine type flavor as well. Great.

T- Awesome sour, tart, killer cherries. Its only mildly puckering...but I don't care. It kicks ass. The oak flavor seeps through a little bit too. Perfection.

M- well carbonated, great body. Balance is fantastic with the tartness.

D- the sourness could be a little too much for some...but not me. I love this. It packs a punch though, but you can't really taste the booze at all. First class sour from RR.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Enjoyed on-tap @ Naja's Place in Redondo Beach, CA for $8. Tapped into a 12oz Wine Glass from the Another RR Cross Tap Handle but couldn't make out what colors it was or any description because it was so far down the line. This brew was also not on the "Tap List" Here! It was available in bottle so I just asked for the hell of it to see if it was a secret one as well, and it was!

Aroma- Starts off with an enormous wild and sour cherry aroma. Has the normal goaty/earthy hints and is blended well with the cherry. Very acidic and great to sniff at.

Appearance- Received with a 1 finger head that dies quickly. Light amber/reddish color body that has great clarity. Effervescent and leaves good lacing.

Flavor- Strong cherry from the beginning of the drink. Extremely sour and acidic and just for what the style calls for! All the barnyard characteristics appropriate and has a light sweetness but is then forgotten because of the puckering finish.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, High tartness, and leaves sharp cherries on the tip of the tongue.

Overall Impression- A very straight forward Wild/Sour! Pleasant, nice cherry taste/aroma, and well balanced. I am excited I got to try these two RR brews @ Naja's and will be keeping my fingers crossed to enjoy many more in the future.

Batch 005x2F brewed 12/1/2009 bottled 10/17/2010

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a chalice. The corked came out easily with a nice 'pop.' Fizzy rusty head of about an inch quickly dissipated. Reddish, brown color with a slight cloudiness.

Aroma of red wine, musty wet wood and leather. Mouthwatering. Lively carbonation that leads into a fruity, tartness followed by leather and earth. Dark fruits. Finish is long and smooth, yet acidic at the same time. Perfectly balanced sourness. In a blind taste taste, I could not tell if this was 4% or 10% abv. Amazing.

A very complex beer.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks so much to Grant for sharing this wonderful growler with me, RustyDiamond, Brickstoredave, Ding, Atlantabeerdog, and SaintNathanial. Absolutely delicious and a great pleasure to drink this with friends. Poured a garnet tinged amber with a slight head. Beautiful color. Lovely aromas of cherries and ruby Port, with some astringency on the finish. Tastes tremendously complex with cherries, a little bit of funk, quite loamy and bitter- not horseblanket funk, but an earthier, forest funk. Quite astringent and a bit of sweet licorice on the finish. Dark and brooding with wildly interesting flavors. Quite intriguing. Smooth, tannic, and sour in the mouth. Utterly delicious and fascinating and extremely easy to drink despite the high abv.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

This was was SO SOUR, but SO DELICIOUS. It literally made my entire body pucker. The wine comes thorugh nicely and the mouthfeel is on point. I aged mine for about 1.5 years and it drank so smoothly after.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Also had this at Local 44 in West Philly during Philly Beer Week (3/15/09). Review from notes.

A - clear garnet brown with an off white head in a tulip. The head quickly receded to leave a thin white cap. Some spots of lace (but I attribute the lack of head to be the way they rinse the glasses).

S - earthy, sour, mild Belgian candi sweetness. Throw in some tart cherries and biscuity yeastiness and you've got yourself a lovely nose for this beer.

T - very acidic, sour, and vinegary green apples. Citrus (maybe of lime?) and some funky barnyard going on here. This is so good!

M - medium bodied and well carbonated. Quite smooth and gives a dry finish.

D - holy crap... this was my 2nd beer of the day this morning (the first was Pliny the Younger) and I can still drink more!

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

More amazing from the bottle than on-tap. Deep mahogany with a perfect dose of bone-colored foam on top. Sour certainly. But deep and complex. Cherry, plum, and toffee at the base with a nice spicy Brettanomyces note. Leather, shortbread, vanilla, and red wine vinegar as it warms. Great balance between fruit, sour, and malt. The price is steep, but the beer is nearly perfect. American craft beer at its finest. Oh, and the 10.5% ABV is silent.

Imbibed from a Cabernet glass

A: a dark garnet red, no head whatsoever. No lacing on the glass. The bugs have decimated any head-forming proteins on this one. No flaws that I can think of considering the style.

S: Wow. Vanilla, oak, Cabernet Sauvignon, tobacco, cedar cigar box... Fruit. Prunes, plums, cherries. I could smell until it got warm trying to name all the smells coming off of this. Easily the most aromatic beer I have ever tried. More like wine than beer.

T: A sour for sour lovers. This is one of them tooth enamel grating beers. It takes a few sips to re-calibrate for this beer. My first reaction was not that it was delicious. It took me a full 3rd if the beer to get in the mood. And then, once my mouth became accustomed to the low PH, I started getting pulling out what this beer is famous for. Again the smell was so intoxicating that is is hard to tell where smells stop and flavors begin, but this beer has it all. Pie cherries dominant, balsamic vinegar, burnt sugar, stone fruit, dried cherries, currants( obviously), ever so faint of a biscuity malt character is the only indication that this is beer. It's almost overwhelming really. On the complete opposite side of the spectrum from Pliny. My only criticism - and this is a matter of personal preference - is that the beer could have been a couple of points sweeter. The bugs are going to do their worst and best to this so this is largely out of the brewers hands, and I know RR would never back sweeten, but I think just a touch more sweetness would have brought more out of the beer, and helped to moderate the sourness. No trace of ABV whatsoever, amazing considering 10%

M: Thin, dry, Puckery, but with a little silky smoothness.

O: This is not beer, it's wine. After I finished this I had to switch to wine for the night, there is no way to transition to an IPA or any kind of malt driven beverage after you have one of these. A masterpiece. Thank you.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

A- pours a nice dark brown with not much head or lacing
S- like red wine, grapes, faint sugar, and a little bret notes
T- awesome, very dry, tasted like it was aged in wine barrels , it reminded me of a dryer less sweet version of Goudenband
M- nice, a little on the flat side, but it worked, def not skunky or at all out of date, refreshing
D- wow this one is ten percent... couldnt pick out the extra abv, i would have guessed like 6 %.. awesome

a def sipper, along with Ommegang Rouge the best interpretation of a Belgian "Sour" that I have had... just remarkable

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

First had this beer in Santa Rosa when I left a bar I was in telling my girlfriend I "had to go to the bathroom" but I really went down the street to Russian River. Incredible decision making.

Pours a clear reddish amber color with little head. Aromas of sour fruit, woody tannins and wine characters blend well with dark sour fruit flavors, oak and red wine. A drying, tart finish full of wonderfully balanced flavors rounds it out very well. High drinkability for a beer that is 10% alcohol. You would never know it. I could drink an awful lot of this beer, and thankfully have had it 3 times now. Fantastic.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company