Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Ratings: 5,269 |  Reviews: 1,161
4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

12.68 fl oz bottle, 04x04.

Poured into an Urthel tulip glass. A deep red in color, not quite as dark as but definitely resembling a nice red wine. The smell is intensely winey and funky, the wild yeasts not being concealed in the slightest. The taste acidic, sour and funky, with the currants coming through. Very carbonated, fairly light mouthfeel considering the 10% ABV. I can easily put back more than a few of these, and have done so in the past.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers and definitely my favorite sour ale. It's a little pricey here in Philadelphia, but it's worth every penny.

002x2 6/18/2008 3/31/2009 Abbey Ale Yeast Rockpile

Pours a dark cherry red with very clear body, a white head that laces around the edges and stays.

Smell of sour cherry, brettynomyces, oak, grapes , currants, and raisin.

Taste of currants mixed with grape juice, a non educated beer drinker could think it passes as a wine. Extremely tart and sour flavors from wine barrel aging with 4 different strains of wild yeast, this beer is very complex and tasty. Where some wild beers taste slightly offensive, this one tastes delicious and has balanced flavors where one particular side doesn't overshadow the other flavors, oak perhaps being the strongest. Wine barrel aging, lacto, and fruit additions all complement the flavors in this delicious treat.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Pours a clear reddish brown with with a tiny bit of tan foam that stuck around for awhile

S - the aroma is dark cherries, raisins and grapes with a hint of the sour to come

T - nice tart flavor of the cherries and and a dryness that reminds me of wine

M/D - overall, I think this is an amazing brew. I'm just getting into liking sours and this one is a hit for me.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is the best sour I have ever had. Its sour flavor is so smooth you can gulp it down with ease if you wanted to. With nice flavors of red wine that round out the entire flavor. If you like sours you need to try this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Ruby red and dark mahogany color. Head dissipates fast, with minimal lacing.
S: Huge red wine and rye smell, with dried fruits. Absolutely phenomenal smell, unlike anything I've ever had before.
T: Huge cabernet sauvignon taste, dry like wine with woody taste (from barrels).
M: Huge carbonation, plays well with other nuances of the beer.
D: AMAZING. By far best beer I have ever had. For $17 for a 375mL it was totally worth it. Thank you Russian River.

Poured into Duvel Tulip glass. Batch 002x3

Pours a pleasing woody red/brown, 1 finger head quickly diminishes without lacing. Nothing out of the ordinary for a wild ale.

Smells amazing, black cherries and funky oak. It's highly reminiscent of a great Gueuze I sampled in Belgium - perfectly aged.

The taste is awesome. My girlfriend calls it a cross between sour gummy worms and red wine. I get what she means - there's a pleasant fruitiness, but it's not overly sour, more a tart sweetness, balanced with the minimal beer undertones. A wild that even the Belgians would drink proudly.

The slight bite on the mouthfeel is all that keeps this from a 5, there. It's well rounded with a puckering start that gives way to a mouthwateringly-sweet finish

I'd drink more if they weren't 20 each ;). This is a beer I cannot think of a food to pair with. It stands alone to be tasted, enjoyed on its own merits.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at the brewpub, shocked that I got a 16 oz pour when I was expecting a 10, but it was a bargain at 6.75. Dark cherry red pour with a hazy tan head that lingers. Very sour aroma of cherries and plums with a light vinous smell to it as well. The flavor is like a sour fruit explosion in your face: cherries, grapes, blackberries, and a nice wine thickness. Very nice carbonation in the mouth and a nice malt profile as well. Hopefully my future experiences with sours will match up to this one.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

By far my favorite lambic. Very sweet and acidic. Caramel in color, lightly carbonated, and very sippable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

this is a fantastic beer. I had a vertical tasting at toronado in San Diego in August 2012. That was an amazing experience. Served from a bottle aged 1 year in my refrigerator beer pours dark purplish brown with very little head but a lot of fizzy carbonation. The mouth feel is fizzy with a pleasant tart puckering. The taste is vinegar and very little malt and granny smith apple peel. In my top five sours of all time and proof that Russian River is one of the best breweries in America.

Batch 005X1E

A - reddish brown, 1st pour was very clear, though the bottom definitely had some murkiness

S - a very pungent sour smell

T - sour cherries, a hint of wine flavors. id note that i originally drank 1 from this same batch 1 year ago and the wine notes are much more pleasant and mellow than they i remember

M -tannin-like mouthfeel, tart though again mellower than i remember

O - a phenomenal sour if you like sours, a nice blend that blends the best of wines and beers

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was part of a tasting, and my friend who saved the bottle along with some Pliny, treated me to some of the finest beers I have ever tried.

Okay, this one was a bit over my head as it is true connoisseur Ale, but it was an amazing tasting. Deep ruby red color, strong aroma of stone fruits,nicely effervescent and really wakes up your palate with a tremendous currant flavor that is incredibly tasty, with a nice dry finish.
There is a delectable tartness that is unique to this Wild Ale.

Thanks to great beer friends that appreciate sharing with others!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

There are few beers that served as 'eye-openers' for me, that is, they forever turned me on to the style and helped me realize what they were capable of being. Stone IPA, The Elder, and Stone IRS are all examples. Consecration joined this list several months ago, as it was the first wild ale that really caught my attention.

The color is deep ruby-red, with a short-lasting off-white head. I'm working from notes at the moment, but I'm inclined to say the Consecration I've had many times on tap appeared to be a deeper red, almost opaque. I only recently had the opportunity to try it from the bottle, and it appeared a bit more translucent than what I remember having on tap. No lacing remains as the Consecration quickly disappears.

The nose is tart berries, wine, and pure funk.

Consecration is a shock if you are new to the style, so don't try to win any craft beer converts with this one. Huge tartness from the currants are the first thing that hits you, followed by citrus, sweetness, and dark fruits, followed by a sour but clean finish.

Body is medium to full, with the on-draft variety seeming slightly fuller-bodied. Alcohol is present but very well muted for such a huge beer. Carbonation is well-balanced, and the finish is wonderfully clean. Drinkability is through the roof, especially if you're accustomed to the style.

At a recent tasting, I remember a friend's 60+ year-old father continually commenting 'this isn't what beer should taste like' after sampling Consecration for the first time. Not in a mean-spirited or angry manner, but in a rather shocked and confused way. It certainly is different, and far-removed from what most beer drinkers envision beer to be.

The best comparison I can think of is when a person tries something very sour for the first time, for example, a sour candy. Sweetness is expected, but this is the complete opposite! Shocked and slightly turned off, the candy is immediately removed from the mouth. Some time later you found that you actually enjoyed the variation in flavor and the effects it had on your tastebuds.

It's an oversimplification, but it illustrates how sours must be approached. There's a wealth of complexity hidden in them, one that you'll hopefully find just as exciting to explore as any other big beer.

Don't miss this one. As I've said before, Consecration is to wild ales what the Younger is to Imperial IPAs. If sours weren't so darn polarizing, this would undoubtedly be on the top 10.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Another Russian River homerun.

Having long been a lover of sours, I couldn't have been more excited to try this beer. Thankfully my girlfriend indulged me and we made the pilgrimage up to Toronado's for Russian River TION night.

The first sip of this beer, I knew I was in for something special. I've had beers that tried to toe the line between beer and wine before (Craftsman's Cabernale... I'm looking at you) but never have I had one that did it this successfully.

I took a sip and handed it to my girlfriend, the wine snob to my beer geek, and waited for her verdict.

"Wow, this is really good."

"Yeah, I know!"

Trying to describe this beer, it is just so difficult to do it justice. The flavors are many and layered. Probably one of the most complex beers I've ever had.

My attempt: Notes of black currant, sour cherry, oak, all with a perfect touch of acid and funk that compliments the beer, rather than defines it.

This is going to be a tough beer to find, but trust me, the search will be worth it. This is one of those breakthrough beers that really pushes a new style to the forefront.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company