Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Ratings: 5,266 |  Reviews: 1,159

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured out of a bottle into a wine glass. This one was bottled in September 2012.

A: Thin layer of bubbles instantly disperses. Murky dark orange color. It's pretty.

S: The first thing is wine, some acidity, a little lemon and a little cherry, the wine thing is pleasantly sweet. The sweetness and the lemon together make me think of lemonheads.

T: Not as sweet as the nose. It's bittersweet and it tastes really good. Starts off enjoyably sour, my mouth got used to it pretty quick and it turned into nice tartness with little kick of acidity at the end. I can tell there're a lot of flavors going on but I'm not discerning enough to say what they are. Overall it tasted kind of floral. One weird thing I tasted in the beginning is Worcestershire.

M: Not as smooth as I'd like. I noticed the carbonation. Not thin but I'd prefer it a little thicker than it is. I can tell that it's 10% in the back of my throat.

Overall I enjoy it. I'm fairly new to sours but this reassures me that it's a style that I reeeaally like. I really enjoy the wine character and it makes me want it to feel more velvety. This was my first Russian River and all of the hype I've read and heard seems merited to me!

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company