Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

#123

Ratings: 5,427 |  Reviews: 1,185
4.52/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Tulip glass with a really thin head that quickly disappears. The beer is a rich amber color.

Aroma is definitely unique. You can definitely smell the sour yeast and the wine aroma from the aging, an interesting yet beautiful combination.

The taste is a bit of a shock for those not familiar with sour ales. You instantly feel the pucker and the sides of your cheeks being sucked in. This quickly fades to the dry flavor of Cabernet while the sour lingers on the palate. I like the concept, but I'm not 100% sold on the flavor. I know it is a sour ale, but the sour is a little overpowering of the really good wine backing.

The mouth feel is a little bubbly. I think this would work better with a little less carbonation.

A good beer, but not one I am inclined to drink regularly.

3.75/5  rDev -16.5%

4.46/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured out of a bottle into a wine glass. This one was bottled in September 2012.

A: Thin layer of bubbles instantly disperses. Murky dark orange color. It's pretty.

S: The first thing is wine, some acidity, a little lemon and a little cherry, the wine thing is pleasantly sweet. The sweetness and the lemon together make me think of lemonheads.

T: Not as sweet as the nose. It's bittersweet and it tastes really good. Starts off enjoyably sour, my mouth got used to it pretty quick and it turned into nice tartness with little kick of acidity at the end. I can tell there're a lot of flavors going on but I'm not discerning enough to say what they are. Overall it tasted kind of floral. One weird thing I tasted in the beginning is Worcestershire.

M: Not as smooth as I'd like. I noticed the carbonation. Not thin but I'd prefer it a little thicker than it is. I can tell that it's 10% in the back of my throat.

Overall I enjoy it. I'm fairly new to sours but this reassures me that it's a style that I reeeaally like. I really enjoy the wine character and it makes me want it to feel more velvety. This was my first Russian River and all of the hype I've read and heard seems merited to me!

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company