Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,130 | Ratings: 5,148
4.32/5  rDev -2%

750ml corked and caged brown bottle, poured into a chalice. Batch 1

A: Pours a cherry cola color. Nice head on the pour with loose, but decent retention. Nice lacing.

S: This batch is getting pretty funky now. Nice barnyard aromas, leather, and some soft wood. Nice tart fruits.

T/M: The sour and tart flavors are really developing which is surprising given that this is a 10% sour. Lots of tart courants and under ripe apples. Some good funk going on with the leather and oak adding nice depth. Body is medium to medium light to strong carbonation... maybe a tad too strong.

D: Drinks amazing for 10% and keeps getting better with age.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

It's 11 AM PST and I was able to try this beer for the first time, being on the west coast. My only complaint is that 10% alcohol this early is going to catch up on me.

Excellent beer. Dark brown, not opaque and very clear. The head is very fizzy, light golden brown, behaving like a sour typically behaves (fizzy). Flavor is excellent. The combination of oak, sour and currant blend into a perfect flavor that I will enjoy all day (hoping I'll sip it slowly).

If this were lower in alcohol, it might be a little more versatile but otherwise this is excellent and worth the $20 price tag.

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

This is one of those beers that drinks more like a wine than a beer. Aged in wine barrels and carrying the flavors over into the finished product with a unique character added to the tartness of this beer. All the RR products are made to the highest of standards by one of craft beers true master brewers! I recommend trying all their brews if you can get your hands on them..

I am overwhelmed with appreciation for this tasty beverage. Pours dark amber/ruby (my lighting is not very good) with almost nonexistent white head. Feels very smooth in my mouth, and mouth-puckeringly sour. With grape, floral, and oak tones, it almost tastes like a fine red wine--maybe a Syrah?--and I mean that in a good way.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a brillant amber hue that is flat in color and appearence. No head at all with zero lace. Good for the style. The aromas are bold and big on wine. Tons of sour red fruit with hints of sweet tarts, funk, and cherry juice. Inviting. The sweet tarts come thru as does a bit of crushed aspirin. Beneath that is a wonderful mix of red fruit that is heavy on the cherries. Winey sourness pushes thru along with bits of wood, and vineous qualities. Medium in body, a bit sharp on the tongue with a dry finish.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Batch 001x4. 750 mL bottle, cage and mushroom cork presentation. Dark brown with blood red highlights in color with a restrained creamy tan head. The head is an anomaly for a sour in my experience, which usually seem to be paltry or enormous, but this one just sits and retention is rock-like in longevity.

Aroma is tart with red and dark fruit - currants, cherries, prunes. An almost candy-like sweetness is there as well, along with wild critters providing some lacto, pedio notes plus a spot of musty funk to round it out. Taste has a nice fruit and malt sweetness with currants and some tart cherry coming out of the woodworks. In congruence with the sweet cherry pie is a load of pedio driven sourness that peaks on the midpalate. A slight funk has accented the dark fruits in this after being cellared a year, reminding me of a new world tip of the hat to old world Flemish red style ales. Tart fruit and earthy finish. Feel is medium with a very delicate and luscious carbonation that again reminds me of some greats such as Rodenbach Grand Cru.

What have I learned here tonight? Like all the other Russian River sours, this one just gets better with age. I have never been a big of a fan of Consecration as most beer geeks have seemed to be, but after tasting this batch 1 some time later I think I may be converted. Really tasty, recommended for cellaring.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

My 100th Review! I can't think of a better beer to review on this small milestone on BA.

Poured from a 750ml Bottle. Batch 002x3

Appearance - Poured into my RR sniffer with about a finger of quickly dissipating head which leaves little to no lacing. Held up to the golden yellow sun on its way down on the horizon, the beer lights up a brilliant cherry cola color, reminiscent of dark burgundy.

Smell - The distinct barnyard, sour funk immediately penetrates the air as I inhale deeply from the glass. Wet hay, leather, and earthiness. This is followed by the more sour/tart dark fruit smell such as under-ripe dark cherries and raisins. A lot going on but everything seems to fall into place.

Taste - Holy sour. The first sip my mouth instantaneously puckers up for what turns out to be a very interesting experience. Oak on the forefront followed by extreme tartness which make one envision biting into extremely under-ripe cherries. This wanes to the slight (not as prevalent as in the nose) barnyard funkiness that honestly is only there for a moment before I get a very strong black licorice ending flavor. This is odd - I have never so distinctly tasted, in my opinion, legitimate non-fake flavored black licorice spices in a drink. To say the least, it has taken me quite a few sips to sort out this beer. Thus far, everything I was expecting and more. Definitely more of a "darker" wine-like sour whereas Temptation seems much "lighter" in taste, body, and flavor.

Mouthfeel - Dry, crisp, medium to high carbonation. Finishes tart and dry, making you reach for another sip.

Drinkability - This one is a sipper for sure. The extreme tart/sour/funk flavors make this a beer that is best enjoyed over a longer period of time. Don't get me wrong, this is quaffable no doubt, but there is no reason to do so. Additionally, the alcohol is well hidden and I get just a slight warming after each sip. A very enjoyable sour/wild ale.

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to Euel for picking this up while in Cali.

Pours a beautiful dark reddish color with a small tan head. The head soon turns into a thin film which leaves little if any lacing.

The aroma soon fills the air with a mix of musty currants and cherries. The oak also makes it's presence known. A very inviting bouquet to be sure.

Taste follows the smell very closely, however the mustiness somewhat dulls the sharpness of the aroma. Nicely balanced, but not nearly as tart/sour as I had expected. The alcohol is extremely well hidden.

The mouthfeel was somewhat on the thin side, with minimal carbonation. Not the most exciting presence, but acceptable for a beer of this style.

This was one of the more enjoyable sour beers I've had in a while. The oak aging really makes this beer what it is. Worth a try if you can find it at a good price.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Poured from tap at Capones sour event into a small tasting glass.

A: A darker reddish brown with tiny off white small head. No glass lacing.

S: Sour fruits with some slight notes of wood.

T: Ok, here is where this beer shines. What a complex array of sour fruits that are just sheer mouth puckering. The dominant fruit flavor I could not pick out, but I assume it's current since that is what the bottle says (I've never had currents). So sour currents, apple, grape and maybe some raspberry coupled with some oaky woody and vanilla flavors. A hint of sweetness is there to offset the tart flavors, but this is far from sweet. Funny thing is I don't get any yeasty flavors or funk, just the sour. Hops come in at the end to bitter the finish. Wow, hella lot going on here.

M: Full, prickly, coating, puckering with just a hint of alcohol.

D: Medium to good for such a sour beer.

Overall this is so different, but so good. If you love wilds/sours, this beer is for you. Complexity really makes this beer a one of a kind. Very nice, glad I got to try such a rare beer on tap.

4.04/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle that was corked and caged. On this bottle is a large burgundy colored label of a knife with black lines running all of it and the number 23 near the tip. It's a zebra knife! At the bottom is a brief description of the beer and in the right hand corner is a barrel with 6 months in the middle and 4 scientific names surrounding the barrel. To the far left is Russian River's address and to the far right is everything you want to know about this beer. That's where you'll find the Government warning, phone number of R.R., a batch number, a picture of the correct glassware, and a novel sized history and description of the beer. They also threw in the definition of Consecration in case you didn't know what it meant. Before I forget, this bottle was from batch 002X3.

Appearance: With a loud pop of the cork followed by gun smoke, this beer erupted like a volcano. It's a good thing I opened the bottle near the sink and my glass. Due to this eruption, I lost about 1/4 of the bottle. Once I finally got some of the beer into my wide rimmed Unibroue Tulip, I saw that Consecration was not what it appeared to be. From a short distance away, I looked to pour a dark mahogany brown, but when held into the light, I found out that it was an extremely dark currant red with some raspberry red highlights. It was a little murky due to a few yeast particles floating around at the bottom of the glass. With this beer erupting like it did, surprisingly there wasn't much of a head of foam on this beer. The initial head of foam was 1/4 of an inch of just fizzy bubbles that disappeared in a blink of an eye. I shouldn't say it completely disappeared because it left behind a string of rings around the edge and a spot or two of lace. The head of foam that I was expecting must have flowed out of the bottle with the eruption.

Smell: Now this is the aroma I was expecting from a sour R.R. beer! It wasn't an over the top sour aroma that made you cringe every time you took a whiff. it had its fair share of sour fruity aromas, but it never went over the top. It was pleasantly sour with currants, cherries, green and red grapes, and even raspberries. I'm surprised that my nose couldn't find any yeast in the aroma. Not even a subtle amount of yeast was found in here. When this beer is swirled around, that's when the oak with its friends the anise and black licorice comes out to play with all the sour fruits. A great potent sour aroma that wasn't over the top. It was perfect for this beer!

Taste: The taste of Consecration had something in common with the aroma. It too was all about the sour fruits. It wasn't an overly sour taste, but it was getting there. It was one sour fruit away from being overly sour. This beer was sour and tart with currants, green grapes, green apples, cherries, and raspberries. If you name a fruit that can either be sour or tart, then you'll find it in the taste. If you wait long enough for your taste buds to reach the end of the sour fruit wave, then you'll come across some charred oak and yeast. No anise or black licorice in the taste like there was in the aroma. I think that if there was, that would have made the beer a little more funkier. If you like your sour and tart fruits as much as I do, then wait till you wrap your lips around a glass full of this beer.

Mouthfeel: This was a medium bodied sour and tart Wild Ale with a decent amount of carbonation and with a long lasting sour and tart aftertaste. The aftertaste was chock full of delicious sour fruits like currants, cherries, green grapes, and raspberries. I also noticed that there was a touch more yeast and oak in the aftertaste than there was in the initial taste. I felt that this beer really didn't show it's 10% ABV. You'll be distracted by all the sour fruits to notice the ABV%.

Drinkability: Russian River always does a great job on sour beers (as well as DIPAs) and Consecration is up there with the best of them. It started off with a bang with the bottle explosion, slowed down in the appearance, and then kicked into high gear with its top notch sour and tart aroma and taste. Of course, like every other Russian River Beer, it's expensive as hell! It's worth a shot once if you can pry open your wallet far enough.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Pours like a soda pop with a quickly dissipating bubbly froth.
What is this?A dark brown clear liquid no head at all, beer?
The aroma is perplexing, I would describe it as the insides of a discarded yeasty/moldy jar of raspberry jam.
Taste is what it's about, YEE GADS thats sour, Like the best lemonaid you ever had,sour cherries, unripe apricots, strong carbonation hammers down the sour taste-buds until endorphins take over and calm everything down again, must have another taste, then another
Addicting, mesmerizing flavor.
Ye Gads! BRAVO!

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip. This was from batch 002X3.

Appearance: deep mahogany brown with reddish hints; two finger fizzy head which dissipated very quickly.

Smell: very interesting; there's a lot going on here. Right off the bat, it smells like wood; there is also the aroma of currant and raisin and tobacco. There is a distinct tartness which I'm sure is attributable to the bacteria. Overall, I like it, although it doesn't necessarily whet my appetite for beer.

Taste: tart, bright and sour. The subtleties of the aroma eventually come through, but off the bat it reminds me of eating super-sour candy as a kid. The other flavors are not particularly strong; I like the tartness but it is a bit extreme. As I consume more of it, I find it growing on me.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice carbonation. I quite like it.

Drinkability: this beer perplexes me a bit. Each time I take a sip, the sourness blows me back; soon, however, I am appreciating the undertones, and finally I find myself yearning for another sip. This is a truly interesting beer.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is quite possibly my favorite Russian River beer. I absolutely love this one.
Pours a dark reddish brown in color. A very nice inch and a half of off white head forms on the pour. Smell is sour/tart and has a very nice vinous note as well.
Taste is off the charts incredible. This second batch bottle is more tart and sour than all the first batch bottles I have drank. I'm actually digging it more. Even with the more pronounced sour and tartness this beer is still every bit as drinkable as it always has been. The currants give a very nice vinous quality in the flavor.
Full, with perfect carbonation this is a pleasure to drink. One of my favorite beers of all time.
Well done and keep up the great work Vinnie!

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Beer was shared three ways (hobojon and DaveJanssen) poured meticulously and artistically into a tulip La Chouffe glass. Batch - 002X1

Appearance - The color was a deep dark amber, surprisingly clear. Lighter head with a lack of lacing.

Smell - Complex with initial sweetness slowly enveloped by a fruity (raisin), and bready smell with a strong funk ensuing. The sour funk (which I described as barnyard) was not too overwhelming, but quite pleasant)

Taste - The first sip knocked me off my feet. Many layers of flavors - Amazing layers of sweetness/funkiness/mild malt. Tart/sour funk very apparent after first sip - wonderfully balanced - the sweetness was very strong, more so than expected but well balanced with the sour funk and malt and countless other tastes words cannot portray. Wine character and oak evident from aging.

Mouthfeel - Generally high carbonation but not unpleasant. Sweet and full considering.

Drinkability - Lovely beer - one of the most drinkable soured beers I have ever tried. Will gladly recommend to experienced beer lovers and inquiring minds concerning innovative soured beers. Go Russian River go!

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Split a 750mL (batch 002X1) three ways with hobojon and zaplt, poured into small tulip

Ar: Tart, dark fruit, raisin, chocolate, light barnyard funk, strong oak, cherries and chocolate, toasty dark bread, strong wine, sweet.

Ap: Clear dark brown/red, tan head, good retention

F: Very tart, pomegranate, strong acid with smooth end, complex fruitiness, chocolate, alcohol, caramel sweetness, red wine, raisins, dark berries, prunes, earthy, strong oak, reasonably sweet

M: medium high carbonation, medium mouthfeel, light acid warmth at end

O: Strong oak (might like less better), very complex, very wine like, more tart than i remember (last time was on tap) and more funk

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle 002X1 picked up at RRBC tasted with davejanssen and zaplt. poured in tulip glass.

Aroma- oak (cinnamon, woody), dark fruit, sour, dark crystal malt, sweet, alcohol (subtle). great aroma.

App- clear, fine tan head. dark brown/red color.

Taste- sweet fruity malt to sour dry finish. oak is present. lots of complex sourness and currants come through. better than on tap.

Mouthfeel- dry enough but sweet and some alcohol is present. fine med/high carb.

Overall- very good, more oak and less sour than on tap at RRBC and Toronado. one of my favorites RR beers.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Barrel aged 6 months in oak with currants. Brett, sacc, pedio, and lacto cultures. Batch 002x2. Maroon label with a black and white line drawing of a spear, I assume the lance of Longinus. My fiance carried this back from Cali for me. Poured at 49┬░ into a snifter. 1/8th inch head settles out instantly to a bubbly ring. The body of the beer is sorta a tawny port color, a reddish-orange in the deepest spots. Sweet oaky nose, some fruit, smells like a fruit forward red wine, not a lot of sour in the nose, maybe just a hint. The body is good, spritzy carbonation, lightly coating, lightly puckering. Flavor comes on strong with cherries, currants, very tart, a nice long rolling tartness, just a faint bit acetic, which I like in small quantities. Lots of oak, woody and dry, not vanilla, perhaps they used non-American barrels. As it's warmed slightly I'm picking up the brett in the nose, a kinda spicy chemical-leather. It's coming forward in the taste too, again, leathery and earthy melding into the sour fruits. The alcohol is really well hidden on this beast. It's an intense beverage to be sure, but well balanced, the tartness is just right, no real sign of the booze, goes down easily all things considered. I wish I had more of this stuff...

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

Big POP of the cork starts the fun with this RR classic. A thin & active light tan head forms then immediately vanishes. The beer is a ruby/amber color. Some rapidly rising carbonation can be seen along the edges of my tulip glass.

Aroma is tart, slight cherry. Oak makes an appearance as it continues open up.

Initial burst of tartness is followed by lots of cherry notes. A hint of vanilla and wood in the background. Only the slightest sense of warming from the ABV. There is an interesting lingering bitterness that remains and mixes with the wood notes. Very nice. Nutty notes now and again.
I obviously know this is brewed with currants, but I have no idea what currants taste like. I am thinking they are similar to cherry. I get this sense of pencil eraser in the flavor. I remember being a kid and sticking the end of the pencil in my mouth. Something here brought back that memory.. More wood is evident as it comes to room temp.

Carbonation is somewhat champagne like. Body is medium.light and the carbonation really brings the flavor to life.

This is a very nice beer and fairly complex.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

I approached this beer with eager anticipation and confidence that it wouldn't disappoint. As expected it did not. Consecration pours a deep ruby red with almost blood orange hues and a healthy pink lacing. A depthful aroma forwarns of tartness but better yet contains a rich dark fruitiness and even...what is it,, Tamarind? Hints of vinegar and dried fruit follow. On the tongue the beer is obviously tart, subtly sour, and surprisingly chewy and full. Ever present is oak rounding out dried fruits lactic notes. At times lighter notes of raspberry almost shine through. A beery like vinegar flavor stings at the palate long after the sip is consumed. If one focuses in on the oak it opens up just slightly enough to reveal vanilla and coconut. Vinous. Though a lesser masterpiece than Temptation, Sanctification, Supplication, or Beatification in my opinion, this is a tour de force nonetheless.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Caged and corked Belgian style bottle, pours a regal tone of soft brown, under a lighter mocha head. The nose on this one is infused with wood and hints of maple. On the tongue instantly noticable are notes of soft vermouth, ripe fruit, light pepper, complexity extending light funk and echos of yeast coursing through, simply delicious in every way. Smooth, soft, flavorful and yummy in a dark and wet Belgium filtered through sunny California sort of way. Please consider distributing this to my local bars and stores sometime soon...

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep dark ruby red with some mahogany mixed in. A one finger tan foam head that dissipates slowly. Ample amounts of carbonations.

S: Lots of dark fruit, plums, raisin, cherries, currants/black berries, leather and dark tannins. Reminds me of a 'red wine' smell to it.

T: The cherry flavor to me is the most predominant. The cherry flavor is slightly on the tart side. Good amounts of oak and currants as well.

M: Leaves a dry tartness on the palate, similar to red wine.

D: I was one and done with this beer, not because it is bad, because it wasn't. The higher ABV made this beer a one and done for me.

3.29/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a deep crimson hued plum color with a very small bright purple head. Very little retention and chunky, slippery lacing. Amazing colored brew.

The smell is more vinous than anything. There is a strong concord grape driven smell up front with a fairly reserved funk. I'm liken this to a funky welches grape juice. I enjoy that the oak is not a dominating odor.

The flavor is loaded with grape, current and plums. There is a firm acidity reminiscent of white wine vinegar that covers up a lot of the underlying funk. The funkiness starts to emerge more as the puckering subsides. Once again there is a very vinous quality to this brew. There is no hint in the taste that Consecration sits at a hefty 10%.

The mouthfeel is very light and the carbonation ample and vibrant. There is a lactic thickness on the back end, but the acidity helps to cover and keep it light feeling.

Overall, I feel this brew lacks a complexity that I like in a wild. I enjoy this brew immensely, but this 750 is going to be a chore to polish off.

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

bottle sent to me by genghis22 ..poured into multiple glasses

a-ruddy burgundy ruby color...large fluffy off white head...carbonation was there

s-fruits...lactic acid smell....musty blanket....vinegar....prunes and slight nose of currants and some cheery and wood

t-sour and sour..vinegar...fruitiness and barnyard..wood and slightly tanic..sour cherries...finishes sour...

m-acidic and sour...hits the mouth hard...finishes acidic but smooth

d-750 is almost too much....but it is so enticing that it brings you back for more abv is well hidden would have never guessed it was 10%...

overall i fear that my review will not do it justice as i really am at a loss for much complexity i dont know how to describe it...thanks james for the truly warming house warming...

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle from Batch 3 poured into a tulip glass.

A - Translucent chestnut, fizzy head, no retention or lacing.

S - Small amount of brown sugar, dry vinous, small notes of dark fruit, sour funk.

T - First glass full was overpowered by brett funk and tart. Not the expected lemon zest tart like a gueze, dry vinous tart from the carbarnet grapes. Taste failed to capture the complexity of the nose... until the second pour. Each sip brought different complexities, brown sugar and dark sweet fruits (date, fig). Palate ends with strong dose of oak.

M - Fizzy carbonation, good for this style, light bodied.

D - Delicious, complex wild ale, far exceeded my expectations. Yet, between the ABV and dry finish, finishing this big bottle was a bit laborious.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Batch 002X3

Deep crimson in color with a head maintained by a continuous carbonation stream. Sour aroma with a mild mustiness.

Taste is almost perfectly balanced. Initial sourness melds into some wonderful fruit nuances. Just the right amount of sourness for my tastes. Tartness livens up the mouthfeel, while the beer remains very refreshing and non-cloying. Extremely drinkable at 10%. Well done sirs. Well done.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company