Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Ratings: 5,267 |  Reviews: 1,159

2.8/5  rDev -36.5%

Paid $23.99 for a 750ml bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Batch 001X3. Poured into a large wine glass.

Upon cracking the cage n corked bottle, the beer spilled rather quickly out of the top of the bottle. Beware to have a glass ready with this one! Perhaps it was shaken a bit as upon pouring as the head is quite small actually. Quite fizzy, this off white head dissipates to almost nothing very quickly. Carbonation is quite tricky/deceiving. Color is deep ruby red. Its darkness leads to this being nearly opaque. No retention.

Smells of wild yeast funk and very fine tart cherries. Also a grape complexity added a la aging in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Mildly sweet, yet certainly much more on the sour side. Even some breadiness from the yeast.

Sour to the taste buds resulting in strong astringency. Funk, sour cherries, some grape. Not as complex as the nose. A bit too sour for my liking.

Very dry mouth, astringent. Light to medium bodied. Light carbonation. As dry as some champagne I've had, which for me, is not a positive quality I'm looking for in a beer.

2.9/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into my trusty Darkness snifter.

Batch 003 from a 750ml bottle.

Let me start by saying I know people go apeshit for this beer. I get that I am possibly a minority on not liking this style. The fact is, I rate a beer based on how it tastes to me. Style aside.

Pours a reddish ice tea color with a bit of off white head. Brett sour funk with a bit of vanilla note. Incredibly sour and tart. Puckering even. After I'm done praying this sip gets over with I do notice a booze bite on the backend. Overly tart and something I really don't wish to have again.

I'm getting stinkeye from the crowd on this one. Maybe rightfully so. Last I checked though I don't get mad if you dislike the ipa or stout in your glass.

2.92/5  rDev -33.8%

2.96/5  rDev -32.9%

2.97/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

i just personally didn't like it. Way too much vinegar and winey flavors for me, I couldn't finish my taster of this.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company