Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,154 | Ratings: 5,244
4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Batch 005 x 2F
375ml chilled, poured into a tulip.

One of my favorite RR beers, just finally reviewing it.

A - Pours a rich, dark caramel amber color. Nice tight white head, which hung on for a few minutes.

S - Tart, sour, twangy, with hints of wine and sugar. The cabernet is very apparent. Cherries, raisins, currants and touch of artificial grape smell (like grape candy).

T - Tart. Not so much sour as it is tart. Very wine like. Lemon, horse blanket and sweet fruit combine in a whirlwind of flavors. The tongue is almost over stimulated. The wine comes through and the aftertaste is all cab.

M - Full bodied, but not heavy or chewy. Coats the mouth nicely. Tight, clean and prickly carbonation. Fits the beer perfectly. The alcohol is almost indectable, except for the slight drying effect it has on the tongue.

D - Dangerously drinkable. This beer is sweet and tart which keeps the palate refeshed. I never get tired of drinking this beer, and am thankful that I have easy access to it. A fantastic beer. Caution is advised though, 10% abv will sneak up on you in a hurry!

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 005 Poured from 375ml bottle into a New Belgium Globe/Snifter

A - Deep red, dark w/ ruby highlights and a white head that quicly fades to a tight ring, no lacing.

S - Smells of cherries, dark fruits, earthy, tart w/ faint greek yogurt. Very fruity and tart.

T - Very dry, refreshing sour twang, very light alcohol warmth. Very wine like, light spicyness, sour cherry. Fruity and tart.

M - Coats the mouth, lively carbonation, light body with a slightly creamy feel, very dry.

O - Amazing beer, very complex. Sour, but not lose your lips puckering. Clean sourness. Lots of wine attributes. Would love to have another, especially with a lot more age on it.

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%

a- A malted straw color, with a minimal head that disipates very quickly because of the high acidity of this brew!

s- Like saltwater taffey, which sounds weird, maybe it is because i was staring at some when i was smelling it (at verdugo bar, ca). very very weird and cool smell. insane funk, and barnyard!

T- Lemon grass, citrus (beyond lemon...like afterthought of grapefruit)...and maybe even a little cranberry tart to it as well. so deep. it lingers like nobodys mom.

M- tangy, medium bodied, full of flavor, and as mentioned before, lingering! Very acidic and leaves a buttery film on your teef.

D- I could drink this all day, except for the fact that it will give you a headache from the acid...or at least me haha.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Batch 7 poured into a snifter.

A- Clear dark brown/ maroon with a very small head that disapates.

S- prunes, vinegar, citrus, alcohol, and vanilla.

T- vinegar, Chardonnay comes through, bitter citrus, some dark fruits, and yeast.

M- bitterness lingers, alcohol not very present on my palate, and nice carbonation.

O- the first time I had this beer I did not know what I was drinking. Several months later i now understand what a sour beer is I appreciate them much more. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I've had Sanctification, Beatification, and Temptation this week and this beer is just as awesome.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

A- pours a dark reddish shade of brown with a half finger head that fades nearly instantly. Some of the head sticks around on the top of the glass and around the edges...it just LOOKS evil, like some sort of witches brew...god its awesome, constantly bubbling.

S- strong cherries with a bit of a tartness to them. Getting some of an aroma of a wine type flavor as well. Great.

T- Awesome sour, tart, killer cherries. Its only mildly puckering...but I don't care. It kicks ass. The oak flavor seeps through a little bit too. Perfection.

M- well carbonated, great body. Balance is fantastic with the tartness.

D- the sourness could be a little too much for some...but not me. I love this. It packs a punch though, but you can't really taste the booze at all. First class sour from RR.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Draft, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: ruby brown and clear, with a light tan head that fades quickly to a thin veil. Very small bubbles; spritzy. I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but this is a beer, and from this beer's appearance, I knew it would be good.

Aroma: stone fruit and sour.

Taste: nice and sour. Tart, but not mouth puckering so. Tartness is upfront, which fades to a dry finish at which point the Brett funk arrives. The Brett funk is subdued. I can't detect any of the currants. The beer is wonderfully smooth for being 10% ABV. No alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel: light-medium.

Overall: this is probably the highest rated beer I've tried. Honestly, I think this beer is overhyped. It is good - very good - but not deserving a BA score of 4.5/5.0. Of the sours I've tried recently, I prefer (in order) Crooked Stave Sentience, Trinity Red Swingline and Boulevard Love Child #3 (cellared 1 year).

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Some friends picked up a bottle at B.L.A.H. for my birthday.

Pours a dark burgundy, with a slight pink head a little less then an inch thick. it goes away pretty quick.

the currents really come out in the beer! Gives it an earthy dry smell, lots of fruit sweetness is upfront with a bit a tartness on the nose.

The taste and mouth feel is just amazing. very smooth mouth feel with a slight tingle of carb on the tongue. Up front is a strong tart hello, then followed by a very sweet taste of blackberries followed by currents.

Really a great beer! I think I might like this more then supplication?

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

poured from bottle into RR tulip. The color is a rich burgundy with just a faint head with faint lacing. Very effervescent and bubbly. Can taste the wine and sweetness, easy to drink, with each drink changing slightly. Slight tartness with an after taste of sweetness. Probably my favorite "tion" beer. Will continue to seek this one out.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

This was the first I've had of this style and I was surprised.
A - A beautiful dark hazy brown color. Great carbonation due to the refermenting in the bottle(kind of like a shampagne). Poured well with a nice white head that lasted for awhile.

S - It had an amazing sweet fruity aroma(very vinous).

T - The fruit smells come through in the taste. It's sweet, but not too sweet. And has some tartness on the backside.

M - Light, crisp, refreshing like a shampagne. Bubbly in your mouth.

D - Overall the beer looked great, smelled great and went down easy. The 10% alcohol was enjoyable as well. This would be a interesting beer to share with others.

4.06/5  rDev -7.9%

2015 vintage:

Darker than supplication and less of a head

Smells of cherries, currants, vanilla and brown sugar (hint of horse blanket)

More sour than supplication, in all honesty in comparison a let down

Worth trying but I highly favor supplication :)

4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Beers of California

#36

Bottled Date: 9/14/12

A: Magohony brown with hues of currant red. Slowly poured into a large wine glass with minimal head but active carbonation.

S: Acetic acid berry sweetness with layers of wood and tobacco in the background. Mostly a sour prickling sensation in the nose which let's me know that there is going to be a sour astringent kick to this brew.

T: Sour berry sweetness with a balsamic vinegar astringency up front. There are also notes of sea salt, wood, leather, prunes and tobacco with a middle layer of chewy brown bread. Some warming vinous alcohol comes through in the finish. Overall mostly sour with a pleasant sweetness, hint of saltiness and beautiful layers of subtlety from the Cab barrels and malt.

M: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation which really adds to the overall experience of the brew.

O: I love the Russian River sours which really showcases the ingenuity, creativity, and wine background of brewmaster Vinnie Cilurzo. Consecration marries a dark sweetness with a balsamic vinegar bite with wonderful subtleties inbetween.

2.42/5  rDev -45.1%

Purchased a 750 ml bottle at the Cheeky Monk, shared with a friend.

Appearance: Poured into a chalice, dark brown in color with some red overtones. Clarity is poor, small head that dissipates rapidly.

Aroma: Very prominent oak, getting lots of winelike character (from the cabernet barrels). Some burnt sugar character as well as dried fruits. Some horsey brett character also coming through.

Taste: Very acidic up front, like getting punched in the face. There is some complexity of flavor early on, but as you go through the glass, it just becomes more and more like drinking a carbonated cabernet sauvignon.

Mouthfeel: More body than most sours. The wine-like character seems to create massive palate fatigue, coats the tongue

Drinkability: very poor, got through the glass, but could not make a session of this brew.

Overall, not impressed with this beer for the price we paid. Vinny could stand to take some lessons from Peter or make a return trip to Belgium and learn from the masters

4.31/5  rDev -2.3%

This is an experiance. This is not your grandfathers beer. Not unless he came from a small town in the middle of nowheres ville Europe.

The colour is beer bottle brown with some hot pink tones in the light. The nose is amazing. Real tart scents of cranberry and mild oak. A bit over carbonated but seems to work with this weird concoction. This taste more like a lambic to me. The fruit notes are extremly strong in this one. A bomber is definately to be shared as this is a late night sipper. The 10% doesnt hit you over the head but the tartness does. Reminds me of a cranberry fruit wine from our area. They used cab sauv barrels and there is a real wine influence here. A little Pinot Noir maybe. If you know a wine guy, this would be an interesting bottle to show off at a late night get together with some cheese and crackers.

Beer? This is somthing a bit beyond beer. Perhaps it needs it own catagory. Glad I tried it for the experiance but not a beer for watching the game tonight. This is unique and very different. As this is is quite a long review, I have had quite a few sips and I must say as both it and I warm up, that it is growing on me. Sort of like those sour candies that you just cant stop eating.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Received in a trade with vasdef42. Thanks for the hook-up and extreme generosity, Jared!

Shared with my wife and poured into my New Belgium tulip glass (also courtesy of vasdef42). We've been stuck on this Wild Ale kick and have enjoyed trying several new beers!

This one presents a dark copper pour leaving a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Against the wishes of Russian River, I swirl the good stuff and top off my glass. A light brown two-finger head is perched atop this brew and the sediment muddies it, and the rest of the beer, just a bit. When held to the light, the beer shines a deep red.

The smell was surprisingly mild. Not as much funk as I would expect, but I could definitely get a whiff of the sour. Hints of dark red fruits with vinous tendencies.

The taste is an intense tart and sour. The red wine is definitely there, as well as the dark fruit. A lighter medium-bodied beer that has a divine lingering astringency. It ended up being a bit much for my wife...but that just means more for me. The 10% alcohol was not detectable at all. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer...seems to be commonplace for Russian River.

Consumed on 1/27/2010

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Deep burgundy in color with almost no head or lacing to speak of. The light that did make it through highlighted the deep red color and made it interesting to look at.

S - Currants, cherries, mild funk, wood and awesome. I had a good feeling after smelling this one.

T - Yeah. It's good. Not really a big fan of sours but I thought Consecration was the best of the style I have had. Not overly sour or sweet. Currants keep the flavor in check on the fruity side allowing me to be able to pick out vinegar, brown sugar and wood flavors as well. Some notes of tobacco, leather and wine are noted as well.

M - Much like a good wine. Medium bodied and only slightly drying.

D - Effing awesome at the bar. I gave this a perfect as it made me think twice about getting another Younger, but it ultimately lost. I will have this every chance I get.

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

12.68 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A - Pours a deep, dark brownish red, almost opaque. Very thin head that dissipates immediately. No lacing. Lots of carbonation. Could see lots of bubbles racing up the side of my glass. Also had some sediment floating around.

S - Funkiness from the Brett, fruitiness, currants, sour grapes, vinous. The Cabernet pushes its way through as well. This beer smells like it's going to be a sour treat.

T - Taste follows the aroma. Really funky and sour, thanks to the wild yeasts. Some tartness with currants and vinous grapes. And again, the Cabernet seems to make itself present in the background. I didn't pick up much of the oak.

M - Light, crisp with tons of carbonation. Effervescence similar to champagne. Smooth and drinkable. The alcohol is masked perfectly in this 10% ABV beer.

O - Another great brew from Russian River. I've only had a couple of the RR sours but this is one of my favorites. The wonderful taste combined with a pleasant mouthfeel and amazing drinkability make this an excellent sour ale.

3.84/5  rDev -12.9%

First time tasting a sour. Pours a purple wine color with a little head and plenty of carbonation. Not much lacing, but quite a bit of suds. The odor is champagne like, fruity, lie de vin, farmhouse, yeasty, metallic, wine like. The taste is very crisp, fruity, peach, grapefruit, currants, champagne like, wine, dried fruits and dry sour on the back end.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Served in a tulip Glass at the pub. Dark and slightly cloudy. Extremely fine bubbles sliding up the glass.

S - It smelled of oak (and a little bourbon) with a hints of a wet dog. (Very promising smell)

T - Notes of Jams and Currents. A perfect funky flavor. A tart berry flavor moves from start to finish with the tart ending at the end of the experience.

M - It was very warm and acidic with a nice dry finish.

O - Best wild ale yet.

A. Meh
Smell Meh
Taste. Meh
Mouthfeel. Meh
Overall. Meh.

This is meant to be a valid criticism of this beer. This is a back to back tasting of Consecration and Supplication.

I openly challenge anyone and everyone to do a blind tasting of these beers. They are interesting in their own way, but all I see them as is a vessel to deliver the bitter strain of yeast that they have in common. This beer is nothing more than sour, you cannot taste the currants or anything. RR Cornered the DIPA.TIPA market with the Pliny's and is in search of a new thing, unfortunately it does not deliver. These beers are nothing more than sour.

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Red-brown color. Fine carbonation. Like a light root beer color and slightly opaque. No head to speak of. Attractive.

S: Sour as expected with a currant scent. For someone who hasn't has currants, it's a sweet plum/fig/raisin smell. Very pleasant. With the wood scent, it can even be compared to sweet baked beans.

T: A sour smack in the face right from the start, which is great, since I like sour beers. This beer is sour, followed by tartness, followed by more puckering sourness. The currants can be tasted right as the beer passes my lips, but that is all. The yeast/bacteria combination delivers a crazy funkiness that tastes like nothing else I've ever had. There is barely any sweetness. I can't believe this is 10% ABV because I don't detect ANY alcohol.

M: Crisp and bubbly. I was expecting it to be heavier but it is fairly clean due to the acidity as well.

D: I would like to say I could drink these all day, but the acidity would probably wear out my tongue. Since I only have the privilege to drink one, I can only assume.

4.11/5  rDev -6.8%

Batch 001X1 750 ml bottle. Beer poured into a duvel tulip glass and forms a lovely 3 finger head. Frenzied carbonation feeds the head. Then a truly unique phenomenon begins to unveil itself . . . the beer begins to make crackling sounds just like a bowl of rice krispies! The head holds along with the crackling sounds for a couple of minutes but then quickly vanishes once I start drinking. The appearance and sounds of this beer was quite an amazing experience . . . never felt like a beer was as alive as this one. Beer is a gorgeous dark burgundy color as well. The color especially the crackle make this a 5 for me. Smell of dark fruit, cherries, apples, brett, and a little vinegar. Initial taste is sour and tart but then it is balanced out quickly by some malts. Beer is tremendously complex. The finish is long lasting and leaves you longing for more with the cabernet sauvignon grapes lingering . ..very nice. Moutfeel is tantalizing as the beer dances across your tongue and feels as alive as it did when it was first poured. I really enjoyed this beer but could probably handle no more than 2. A lot of hype with this beer and I'll say, for the most part, it lived up to it IMO. I'm aging a couple of other bottles and I imagine they will improve quite a bit. Will revisit in a couple years.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this on tap last night at The Horse Brass in Portland, Oregon. Delightfully acetous on the nose! On the palate...piquant, snappy, tannic, broodingly acerbic and redolent of macerated currants. Exquisitely tangy on the back of the palate with a sappy dryness and an extraordinarily long finish. A pleasure to drink!

4.02/5  rDev -8.8%

such a fun and unique brew!

No, it's not a new top favorite, and I probably won't seek it out again. But this was a fun beer to drink, the consummate craft beer drinking experience. I thoroughly enjoyed the beer, and the creativity and craftsmanship involved in its creation.

A - Unimpressive. What is there to say about Brown? It's just blah. This beer has an especially fizzy cap and appears far lighter in body than I had expected.

A- Fun! There's a mild tinge of vinegar, some tobacco (kinda reminded me of dip... weird), and grapes. Very wine like.

T- if you told me it were wine I'd have never doubted you until the second sip. There's a real sour twist, but it's not unbecoming. It's enough to leave a real sense of satisfaction and cleanse the palate. More juicy than beer like.
Tastes of Yellow Tail wine, Lemon Heads and Pop Rocks, Fuji Apple peel, dingy earthiness.

The further it drinks (warms) the less like wine and the more like hard cider, this beer becomes. And then, as you go further still, the sourness becomes quite biting.

M- The effervescence of this beer pairs well with the tartness. It's light-bodied, crisp and for all the sweetness, it finishes dry. The flavor might overwhelm most, but all have to agree the body lends exceptional drinkability.

0_ I dunno which demographic they were trying to entice... grade school kids who like sour candies or wine drinkers... I think they'll attract both. It's a contradiction: it's both cutting-edge on the modern beer scene, but also employs throwback qualities, like souring and aging in wooden barrels. It's a spunky beer, that packs a lot of flavor and alcohol into a compact frame.
I actually had a sample of this on draught a while back and didn't like it, I'm glad I gave this bottle with its hefty price tag a chance!

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%

this is a bottle i missed in a box on a trade, this is a batch 5, 375ml bottle

this poured a nice clean no head pour, into a fading dark amberish color, not cloudy but completely opaque. the nose of this beer screams currants and sour tangy goodness. a very vinous aroma accompanies the fruit sour. this beer keeps reminding me of supplication which should be kinda expected. the taste is a very short lived wineish like flavor with a little brett funkyness there. this one is a lively beer like the rest of the RR sours. the carbonation kinda takes away from the taste.
overall its awesome and a good drinker, you dont know its 10% abv at all while you drink it.

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%

batch 006x2E

A: deep brown, almost no head

S: red wine, grapes, some funk saying "hello" in the background

T: vinegary sour in tandem with lemon-peel like bitterness. sourness is not overwhelming. some alcoholic warmth in throat. lingering sweetness from alcohol

M: dry, but flavors (alcohol sweetness) lingers on your tongue for a while.

O: great sipper. I notice alcohol strength in my throat, but does not feel like it in my mouth due to its dryness. This beer is not sessionable.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company