Pliny For President

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Pliny For PresidentPliny For President
Notes: Pliny For President is a double dry-hopped version of our flagship Pliny The Elder Double IPA, including one or two new hop varieties! This is Pliny's 4th time running for president with the Keg Party in the past 16 years and his first time in a can!
Reviews: 49 | Ratings: 139 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
dmincer from West Virginia

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This tastes like a less punchy Pliny the Elder. It tastes and smells a little less bold to me. I expect its less hops and seems a little thinner, but honestly it could be that it wasn't absolutely fresh and had sat for a bit. Still a fantastic west coast IPA, but more in the stream than on the top of the bank as the definition of the style. I'm grateful this is more accessible though!

Jan 10, 2021
Dbot from Delaware

3.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Where was Pliny on my voting machine? Freshly canned from draft by Pinocchio’s for their anniversary pack. Wonderful DDH WC IPA. Piney, clean and worth my time in line.

Dec 26, 2020
sjrider from California

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap in Sacramento -pours a clear and clean pale golden straw color with short white head leaving minimal lacing. This is classic WC DIPA with a piney nose and plenty of tasty bitterness. A close sibling to PtE and PtY. Classic and delicious.

Dec 02, 2020
Nuttin_but_the_best_Clark from Massachusetts

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Wow! I jumped through a lot of hoops to get this as I had to ship it to a friend in CA and then to my address on the east coast. But it was worth it. I would say the top 2 IPAs I've ever had were this and Heady Topper. Initially I heard this was a hazier version of Pliney the Elder. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I found this to be a lighter, crisper version of Pliney the Elder. As a double dry hopped IPA, it has some of the same characteristics as PTE but is much fresher, cleaner and crisper. It has less 'dank' notes, slightly scaled back on the pine notes and the citrus is a bit dialed up in the form of lemon peel.

This is a classier version, right down to the lighter colour in my opinion. The best description I can give is that this beer is more like listening to a CD or DAC than a vinyl record. Audiophiles may say that a vinyl record has more character with its clicks, pops and warmer sound. But when you hear the true, cleaned up sound of the music, it's vibrant and crisp and bright. I like Pliney for President because it in not cluttered. It's direct and to the point and what a perfect IPA should be. It's refreshing. Sometimes on a hot day, I feel even hotter after drinking Pliney the Elder because it's just so much with the resin and fullness. Pliney for President is more refreshing and lighter without losing its distinct IPA flavour.

Its a damn shame that this beer is only available every 4 years. I have no trouble finding bottles of Pliney the Elder or Blind Pig thanks to a relative in CA. However, this beer's relative obscureness is frustrating because I'd put it in the top 2 of IPAs I've ever had. Pliney the Elder would be in the Top 10.

Nov 13, 2020
npolachek from New York

4.32/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pour golden - basically the color of pipi. Tastes piney with haze and smells of hops. The beer has very bright aromatics, and is a solid high quality IPA.

Oct 08, 2020
eppie82 from Illinois

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From can within 2 weeks from canning date.

A very lightly hazy (nowhere near opaque) appearance with good bit of carbonation and foam upon aggressive pour. Basically, it's Pliny the Elder with a bit of haze to it. Piney, floral, citrusy, bitter,... yet all balanced. Super easy to drink.

I'm glad that the DDH version of Pliny the Elder did not go overboard on the hazecraze. There's nothing wrong with PtE, and it's still very much a West Coast DIPA benchmark. The DDH version is similar, but added enough to the aroma and feel that it compliments well the already established 'base.

Oct 07, 2020
unlikelyspiderperson from California

4.34/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Didn't get the can until its a month old, drinking my last one now at about 6 weeks.
Overall, a wonderful dipa. Better than regular PtE? Maybe, maybe not. Might be more noticeable if you got it super fresh.
Bright aromatics, fruitier than normal PtE. Flavor hews much closer to regular with a bit softer character overall. 6 weeks is normally when I feel like PtE starts to fall off. This one is holding up better in my opinion. Nice beer, if you like Pliny you'll like this one too

Oct 02, 2020
TreyIsWilson from Michigan

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazed pale yellow with a two finger foamy white head. Nice amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is pineapple, grapefrut and resinous hops.

T - The taste is orange, pineapple, grapefruit, sweet malts and big piney hops.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation. Soft oily mouthfeel with a crisp dry finish.

O - This is a truly outstanding beer. Perfectly balanced. Really glad I got to try this one.

Sep 24, 2020
Mordath from California

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler filled at RR on 9/20. Enjoyed 9/21.

Look: Moderately hazy, pale straw color. 1" head with nice lacing.

Smell: Pine sap, dank resin, grapefruit, a touch of lemon and pineapple. Hops very forward, as expected.

Taste: Bitter but well balanced. The malts and alcohol are there but take second stage to the hop profile.

Mouthfeel: Dry finish with a full and robust feel. Slightly oily.

Overall: If PtE is world-class and often considered the best IPA around, this just turns the volume to 11. An excellent beer that any hop head should try if given the chance. Pliny's got my vote, see you in 4.

Sep 24, 2020
John_M from Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fresh from the brewery in Windsor, the beer pours an attractive golden amber color with really good head retention and considerable lacing. On the nose, yowsa! I pick up a huge aroma of dank earth and tropical fruit, with some underlying lime and dry citrus as well. This beer just screams great WC DIPA. The flavor profile replicates the nose, with the moderate delicious malt on the mid palate just shoved into the background by the massive wave of hoppy goodness and bitterness. Mouthfeel is fairly full, with a long, bitter, drying finish. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, though one can tell the alcohol is up there a bit. This is just absolute nectar for a hophead.

This is PtE on steroids, with an added hop punch that is just incredible. As good as regular PtE is, in my mind this is clearly a superior dipa. Vinny has really knocked it out the park with this beer. Very, very impressive.

Sep 20, 2020
Beertracker from Oklahoma

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Canned 05/26/2020 - Pliny is always wonderfully satisfying & this one hits all the receptors. I wish I could've scored more than a 4-pack but I'm not complaining. Pliny for President!

Sep 10, 2020
patre_tim from Thailand

4.27/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear golden with a finger of well sustained head.

Smells of BO, onions caramel and honeydew as well as garlic.

Tastes of Green dank el dorado, citra stinky and richly over the top hopped with a little caramel and honey dew.

Medium resinous body with medium to low carbonation.

I had this on the street outside
Torinado Pub in San Francisco Aug 25 2020.

Sep 07, 2020
Tilley4 from Tennessee

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was gifted a can of this from a friend...

He may become my new best one...

This takes the base beer and kicks up the intensity... everything that I could ask for in a double IPA.

Brilliantly crafted... absolutely a masterpiece...

The intensity of the hops paired with the sheer ease of drinking of the beer..amazing...

I don't get super excited about a lot of beers at this point in my life but I did about this one. It's one of those that I wish I could go out and buy on a regular basis because...

Well..

I would...

Sep 05, 2020
Sabtos from Ohio

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

A burnt shimmering gold body with a faintly foggy sheen builds a moderate off-white head of finely dense carbonation that aerates to a bubbly foam before dying to a thin fine chain.

The feel of the body on the palate is what I'm most impressed by. Despite having a West Coast bite, it maintains a rounded, nearly full feel with a soft, almost fluffy carbonation throughout. A tingly and finely prickly mild bitterness introduces evergreen, dank cannabis and some midly alcohol-scorched tropical fruits, such as faint accents of pineapple and mango. The dankness continues with a resinous, nearly oily hoppiness, but it's still expertly measured and greatly drinkable, finishing semi-dry. A touch of toffee malt develops upon contemplating your vote for an extra second or two on the tongue.

It's nice to have some fresh Pliny on hand, but that's pretty much all this is. P4P is not drastically different from regular, but at the same time that's just fine with me. With the can format and relative ease of access--especially right now during a pandemic--it's all gravy.

Aug 27, 2020
Benish from Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Been really excited to try this. Poured a pale golden color with just a soft white head. Fragrance of hops with resin, pine, and tree sap. Upon first sip, the resin hits you with pine but also notes of tropical fruits, lending a touch of sweetness. I find it tasting more unbalanced compared to their regular Pliny....not necessarily a bad thing! Mouthfeel medium bodied with perfect carbonation. Overall: really a treat. Not too sticky nor malty like other double IPAs. Its a straight forward delicious west coast double IPA.

Aug 26, 2020
EdHinPasadena from California

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

Forgot my review. Part of a mix pack that included Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder. Received as anniversary gift back in June. Found notes from my tastings, so here goes ... Pliny for President, overall, is an amazing beer. This Pliny had a nice, light golden appearance with a hint of haze in it, with a medium head and nice lacing. The smell was wonderful, a nice floral, piney, fruity scent.
As for the taste? Magical. No other way to describe it. The combination of citrusy flavors (grapefruit and mango stood out to me), pine and floral notes all made my head reel with delight. This is definitely a notable IPA in terms of its hoppiness, with a medium carbonation and a pleasing aftertaste. If you find your way to one somehow, get one. Or six, or twelve, or twenty-four. You'll thank me (and the others here) for recommending it.

Aug 20, 2020
RyanK252 from California

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Russian River Brewing Co

A: Pours golden amber with a frothy off white head that settles to a light layer and laces quite nicely.

S: Floral, citrus, tropical fruit, spicy pine, slightly herbal, breast malt, and caramel sweetness.

T: Spicy pine, floral, citrus, grapefruit, lemon, and orange, tropical fruit, mango, peach, passion fruit, apricot, and a hint of papaya, slight herbal notes, breast malt, and caramel sweetness.

M: Just a little on the filler side of medium body, moderate carbonation

O: Takes an already great beer and bumps it up a level. Glad they decided to keep making more to satisfy the demand. It's basically everything you could ever want from a DIPA.

Aug 16, 2020
Yabu from California

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

I've gotten the first few batches of the cans. was it expensive? Yes, I think its almost 8 with shipping. Thats almost an outrageous amount, considering the options of ipas in CA during COVID 19 .

Did I have any expectations? Not really, I rarely drink west coast ipas. Pte is available much more nowadays than in the past. Even then, i skip it for hazy ipas.

First can, I was shocked to be blown away. Was it really that good? Next time, I did a side by side with ddh gitm , and it held its own. Different, but I believe both are in their best respective styles.

The second and third batches were just as amazing.

RR has been slow to catering consumers these lasts years, but seems they are finally with the current market needs. Looking forward to pty and ddh pty in cans.

Aug 15, 2020
Todd from California

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

16oz canned on 07/23/2020. Sample from the brewery.

Two-stage, double dry-hopped version of Pliny the Elder. Vinnie told me there's 4 lbs of dry-hopping per barrel over two stages with the first mid-fermentation and promote biotransformation. Huh?! It's what happens when hop oils and active yeast interact. Apparently it can transform certain terpenoids into terpenoids that weren’t originally present. So magic, basically.

Pour pale golden with a touch of hop haze. Frothy two-fingered head with a most impressive head retention and lace. Nose is wonderfully floral, earthy, weedy, and fruity. First sip is crisp, smooth, super creamy, and soft. Fairly light-bodied, but there's a slight chewiness that emerges as the beer warms. Grapefruit. Tons of sharp, tart, citric, grapefruit and rinds. Bitter, dank, sticky pine, and resin. Spicy and peppery. Notes of tangerine, mango, peach, strawberry, and kiwi round things out, while a semi-toasty, honey, and bready malt character drops layers of supporting backbone to provide some semi-sweet balance. Finish is dry, leafy, raw, grassy, a bit astringent, and insanely moreish with a faint and interesting peppermint tea-like linger and some oiliness on the palate.

Pliny For President has my vote. Hands down one of the best beers of 2020.

Aug 12, 2020
Luscious_Malfoy from Illinois

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 16oz can into a 3 Floyds nonic pint glass. pours light orange with a slight chill haze and a finger and a half of firm white head. aromas of pine, grapefruit, grass and slight orange. taste is grapefruit and orange rind with a piney, bitter finish. incredibly full-bodied and smooth mouthfeel. slight alcohol burn and just enough bitterness, this is an amazing west coast DIPA.

Aug 09, 2020
ovaltine from Indiana

4.52/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours the most beautiful golden color imaginable, with a nice amount of hop haze, and a dense, substantial bone white head. Gorgeous beer, and in line with brothers Elder and Younger.

Dank citrus notes abound on the nose, with a strong tangerine aroma leading the way, accompanied by pineapple and grapefruit rind, and a crackery malt note as well. Wow, this is gonna be awesome.

The tangerine flavor takes the lead with an aggressive mien on the taste, but it’s a slightly sweet candied tangerine, which actually works well with the pithy grapefruit flavor and pineapple note - and the crackery malt that lurks in the background for balance.

The mouthfeel is full and exquisitely dry, the very definition of the mouthfeel expected from a WCIPA, and there’s substantial bitterness throughout the taste that lingers until finally giving way to a subtle booziness WAAAAAY at the back of the palate.

My only regret is that I only have a couple more pints of this outstanding example of a WCIPA, because this truly a joy to drink.

Aug 08, 2020
DefenCorps from Oregon

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks, Chris. 2020 release, canned July 9th.

A clear light orange with a dense white head with excellent retention and lacing, this looks gorgeous. The nose is classic Pliny, bringing a smile to my face, with the delicate but fresh blend of pine, citrus and tangelo, but with an additional dry hop note that calls to mind the best aspects of Blind Pig. Delicate stone fruit notes. The palate opens with a strong dry hop character, bright and flavorful with citrus, honey, a little peach and some pine. Moderately bitter and remarkably clean. The mid palate has a touch of alcohol. Flavors of watermelon rind, a light floral note, a little dried strawberry and mango. Drying, bitter on the finish with a lingering bitterness, clean and resiny with grapefruit pith and melon. Expertly conditioned, this beer is marvelous.

Aug 08, 2020
TC27 from California

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite of the Russian River beers is Blind Pig, with Pliny the Elder a close second. Pliny for President continues the Russian River tradition of producing top rated beer. I don't think I have ever tasted a beer with such dry hops! That being said, it took awhile to get used to such a dry taste. I have had a few now and I think my taste buds are adjusting to the dry hops as I like it better and better the more I drink it! Was able to order 16 cans from Russian River as I am lucky enough to live in California, the only state they ship in. I will try to get a bit more detailed on the taste.

Extremely dry hops are a bit overwhelming, but about half way through my first one my taste buds really adjusted to the flavor! This beer is definitely a must to try for all you hop heads out there. I don't think I have ever had a beer this dry, but that being said it really brings out the bold flavors of the most distinct hops I have ever had in a beer. Citrus tones are strong but well balanced. I put it in my top ten, but I still have Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder slightly ahead of this one.
However it's still a unique beer and as I said earlier, its getting better the more I drink! Another winner for Russian River!

Aug 07, 2020
Kashmir729 from Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hot damn! This has all of the aromas and flavors of the OG Pliny but kicks it up a notch. Pours a pillowy white head with a yellow/copper color. Aroma is beautiful - pine, orange, peach, grapefruit with a tad bit of grassy notes. I could smell this beer from a few feet away! Taste almost exactly follows the nose with a bit of bready malt but extremely well balanced. Overall an amazing addition to the Pliny line and one that every hop head needs to try!!

Aug 06, 2020
BBThunderbolt from Kiribati

3.52/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to 2Beerdogs for this one. 16oz can (dated 7/9/20) poured into 14oz teku. Poured a clean honey yellow color with an inch of white head that good retention and moderate lacing.

As expected, the aroma was hop forward, with some light grain in the background. Pine hops were primary, with some light citrus as well.

Fairly similar on the tongue, with the citrus hops being a bit more prominent, and very slightly bitter at the back.

The body was medium-light, smooth, and had a dry finish.

Drinkability was very nice, I could knock off a few of these.

Overall, a very nice brew, certainly worth trying if you get the chance.

Aug 05, 2020