Framboise For A Cure | Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Availability: Fall

Blonde Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels with brett, lacto, and pedio (base beer is Temptation). This sour barrel-aged blonde ale has 31 pounds per barrel of fresh raspberries to make a beautiful reddish/pink beer! Nicely balanced with sweet raspberry and tartness. This beer is made only once a year in conjunction with our month-long fundraiser for the Sutter Breast Care Services of Santa Rosa during Breast Cancer Awareness Month! 100% of the proceeds of this beer will be used to help men and women in our community in their fight against breast cancer!

Batch 1 (2010) - Sonambic base, 5.9%

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,017 |  Reviews: 158
4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Bright passion red color - absolutely stunning! Minimal head that fades quickly to nothing. Yup, no trace of head anywhere. Looks gorgeous but would have liked to see SOME pinkish hued foam at least coating the surface, and maybe some lacing. Can't really complain though, this shit is amazing - read on.

S: Smells like a Cantillon at first - barrel must, brett, funk, barnyard, and just generally awesome sourness mixed with a healthy heaping of tart raspberries that tickle the nose with a sweet playful fruitiness. As it warms you get more wood/barrel/oak and must and a bit of solventy alcohol. Swirl it around and BAM more raspberries!

T: Mild tartness, raspberry flavor definitely noticeable and vaguely sweet attempting to balance out the tartness (very nice!), light funk and barrel must. Very nice brett and fruit character and combination.

M: Dry, crisp, medium-high carbonation.

O: This is pretty much everything I was hoping FfaC would be, and more. I think this is now my favorite RR beer and quite possibly a very close 2nd to Rose de Gambrinus. Very pleased with this. Very good beer and one well worth the price of admission. If you haven't tried this and like sours and/or fruit beers and like supporting good causes, GET THIS BEER! I could seriously put a dent into a keg of this...if not finish it off within an almost medically unsound timeframe.

4.84/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky enough to be in the area during their October release of this beer and I'm so glad I was. I love all of Russian river's sour ales but this one was unique. Not quite as sour as some of their others but it made it so drinkable that it was addictive. Definitely a strong dose of raspberries. They put 100 pounds of raspberries in per barrel. It had a sweet aroma with a touch of bread. The mouthfeel was incredible. I could've chugged beer after beer if I wanted to. Moderate sour and sweet crisp finish. I wasn't able to get any bottles but I definitely drank my fill on draft. Excellent beer highly recommend of you're in the area during the month long release

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

This will probably be one of the few beers I actually take time to review. Huge thanks to scottfrie, for hooking me up with two bottles of this delicious concoction. So here we go, reviewed from notes.

A- Looks almost neon pink like ripe, freshly picked raspberries or almost ready to pick strawberries. Thin, white head with very apparent carbonation visible from the constant stream of bubbles. It really is an amazing looking beer that I almost didn't want to drink, but where is the fun and enjoyment in just looking at such beauty, it had to be tasted and experienced.

S- Right away a ridiculous punch in the face or raspberry, fruit esters, funk and sourness that lets you know it is a wild ale right away. Smells like a beatification batch 2 fell into a barrel of raspberries and decided to stay there for awhile before crawling out to smack you right in the face.

T- This beer tastes absolutely phenominal, it's unbelievably tart and sour at the same time with a very nice acidic character that is not like the heart burn inducing acidic character of many cantillon lambics. The funk, sourness and raspberry tang meld very well to create a highly enjoyable dance on your tastebuds.

M- Wow I'm honestly salivating, I want to drink more and more because the prickly feeling it's leaving on my tongue has reminded me of the absolute bliss that splinter blue left me feeling. It really does coat your entire mouth and leave you anticipating the next sip, like a fat kid patiently awaiting a freshly baked twinkie.

D- It's unbelievably tasty and I can't believe they have only brewed it once and may never brew it again. I could honestly bronski a 3 liter myself and still be ready for more. Hopefully it is brewed again and possibly a 3 liter.

Definitely an experience that I am glad I shared with petesuphi, cmurren25, Jwiss22 and therealnomayo. I think the CA BAs are too critical of some of the ridiculous beers that have been produced in their state.

4.8/5  rDev +8.4%

A: This beer is so pink you should worry about it staining your white clothes and carpet. Hardly any head, but what is there is pink and laces well.

S: Raspberries, barnyard funkiness, and quite tart. A very typical sour smell, if not more sour than average.

T: Wow the taste follows what I'm getting on the smell. Very sour, but it is balanced by a ton of raspberries. The fruit is on a different level than other American Wilds that I have had. The balance between fruit and tartness is just unmatched in flavor. This very much so lives up to the hype.

MF: Tart and acidic, the mouth on this is carbonated well and has a medium to light body. No hint of alcohol at all.

O: Best sour of the night, including the Goose Island 3 Sisters and Bruery Oude Tart. One of the best American Wilds I have ever had the privilege of tasting.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

Massive thanks goes out to mikesgroove for sharing this one with myself, beeruser, and funkydelic at one of our weekly tastings! Batch 001! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured BRIGHT orange with a half finger pure white head that had a slight pink hue that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, sour, tart, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, apricot, sour apple, tart, sour, funk, and raspberries. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent! Holy Christ I have been wanting this beer on my palate for so long it is not even funny! It did not disappoint at all... Excellent flavor profile going on in this one. The sour and tart aspects on this are quite strong and almost bring on the duck-face HARD, but I resisted (even though I shouldn't have). The smell on this one is nothing short of phenomenal either. An absolute must try even if you have to trade BIG for it. Thanks again Mike for bringing this one out to share as it was QUITE the experience!
Appearance= 5.0 Smell= 5.0 Taste= 4.5 Mouthfeel= 4.5 Overall= 5.0

Big thanks goes out to MSquared2 for sharing this one at a recent tasting! Thank you SO much Morgan!!! Batch #2! Served from bottle into a Sweetwater 15th Anniversary snifter. Poured a vibrant blood red with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, tart cherry, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, tart, sour, tart cherry, funk, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a great brew. Having had the opportunity to have had Batch #1 (thanks mikesgroove) I can honestly say that Russian River is doing GREAT things with this brew on both batches. Everything is very well balanced and it definitely brings the pucker factor. If you call yourself a sour head you need to get this on your palate as soon as you possibly can. If you want to step your game up a notch get down on a Batch #1. You won’t regret doing so with either,[Men’s Warehouse owner voice] I guarantee it [/Men’s Warehouse owner voice].
Appearance= 4.5 Smell= 4.5 Taste= 4.5 Mouthfeel= 4.5 Overall= 4.5