Framboise For A Cure | Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Availability: Fall

Blonde Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels with brett, lacto, and pedio (base beer is Temptation). This sour barrel-aged blonde ale has 31 pounds per barrel of fresh raspberries to make a beautiful reddish/pink beer! Nicely balanced with sweet raspberry and tartness. This beer is made only once a year in conjunction with our month-long fundraiser for the Sutter Breast Care Services of Santa Rosa during Breast Cancer Awareness Month! 100% of the proceeds of this beer will be used to help men and women in our community in their fight against breast cancer!

Batch 1 (2010) - Sonambic base, 5.9%
Batch 2 (2011) - Temptation base, 6.5%

Added by Arbitrator on 10-07-2010

#223

Ratings: 1,027 |  Reviews: 158

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.63/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The aroma has tart fruits, maybe some raspberries, but also underneath there is hay, wheat, nectarine, and apricot.

The flavor follows with a pop of tart berries in the front, then onto again that wet hay funk and a gentle sweetness of stone fruits of apricot and nectarine.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

On Tap at Monk's Cafe in a tulip glass raising money for breast cancer.

When it got to me I was graced by a nice hue of deep red, not blood red, but a nice rounded red. It could of been pink for all I know, It was dark in there. Just liquid by the time it got to me, no lacing towards the sides. Some swirls brought forth some reddish bubbles, no cling.

Smell was str8 up raspberries, it was very prominent. That's all I smelled for a while. Under that the temptation base is hard to pick out, the berries kinda mute the wine aspect, but there is some funk and a faint mineral quality. The berries beat all.

This is a mighty fine beer, on top of a already spectacular beer. Framboise for a a cure is very fruit forward, with a nice funk in the middle and a pucker quality. Some wood on top of raspberry with a faint amount of wine aspect.

Feel is a nice step below medium with a great pucker on the end of the tounge, swirling this around the mouth keeps the berries coming, very fresh beer here, I wonder what time would do to this but I would have a hard time holding it. I ordered another glass on the way out.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Picked this up at the brewpub several weeks ago.

The beer pours a striking cherry red rose color with surprisingly good head retention and lacing. The carbonation is very active in this beer, which leads to a pillowy, long lasting head on the beer. The nose is just outrageous, showcasing considerable sour funk, but with a huge aroma of raspberry as well. Although the sour component is quite prevalent, the fruit more than holds its own in this beer. There's a brightness to the fruit character in this beer that I don't see all that often. Given the nose, I sort of excepted some serious sour on the palate, and this beer doesn't disappoint. There isn't too much funk thankfully (not much vinegar, head cheese or horse blanket), but the sour component is really a jolt. There's still plenty of fruit I'm happy to say, but still, getting this beer down is a bit of a chore for this "sour hater." On the other hand, I have to say this beer really delivers a considerable amount of flavor for a 5.9% abv. beer. Mouthfeel is fairly light, but the finish is long and sour, with a touch of fruit at the very end. This beer really seems to titilate the tastes buds...

Very impressive beer, though at least for me, this isn't the sort of thing I'd want to drink every day. Still glad I had a chance to try it.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Deadeye hooked this one up. I honestly feel pretty honored to be able to try and share the first batch of this brew. Charlie is super good people.

Pours very clear... sorta orangish pink.. fizzy white head has only okay retention and leaves splotch lacing... but the clarity and color of the brew is very pretty.

Nose is better than I was hoping for.. Pungent sour notes punctuated by fantastic fresh fruit aromas all pulled together by just enough sweetness... wonderful.

Flavor has a bit less raspberry flavor because it seems to be blown out by copious amounts of bretty funk and lesser lactic/lemon notes. The raspberry is more than present though.. and seems enhanced by a minor acetic quality that isn't out of place and really adds to the fruity qualities... really not that "sour", just bracingly tart... later pours proved a tad tannic.. but who's complaining?

Dry and not puckering.... I think a minor bit more residual sweetness would pull this one together more .. but that is a 1% complaint... an epic brew for sure.

The body is lite medium with a nice effervescent carbonation.. Jesus, I want another of these. Charlie.... I know we had a good trade, but I will get you a hooker for a weekend and throw in a few Cantillons to get one more... Thanks buddy.

4/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

3.5/5  rDev -21%

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed snifter today, 9/15/2013 on my one ear anniversary. Thanks to Doug for generously sharing this one bottle. Review #209.

Okay, so I can't get over how bright and pink this beer looks. We just drank a Cantillon Blabaer which we thought was outlandishly pink-orange looking, but this one is just so bright pink looking, like ruby red grapefruit juice. And so well carbonated too. It coats the glass in so much bubbles, even more so than any of the Russian River sours. It's really a beautiful looking beer.

Smell on this is a straight up raspberry sweetness, which makes sense since this is a framboise. I'm sure that this beer is meant to be a true framboise, because this reminds me a lot of Rosé de Gambrinus, but better. Honestly, this is a nice blend of lactic acidity and straight up raspberries. This beer, in my opinion is what I wish New Glarus Raspberry Tart smells like.

Again, same as the smell. So much lactic acidity that it was a nice change up from the vinegary acidity of Cantillon Blabaer.. combined with that awesome raspberry base. It's a great beer, better than Rosé de Gambrinus for sure.. its just too different than the Lou Pepe Framboise though that I can't make a fair comparison from here. But its definitely a great American Wild in that regard.

Mouthfeel is typical Russian River. Medium bodied, very well carbonated with a great, significant dryness. It's easy to drink, and very refreshing.. but nowhere near as funky as Cantillons or even Drie Fonteinen beers are.

I'm glad to have tried this. If the opportunity to get this again comes up, it's just as high priority as Beat is. It's just a nice, well-balanced and sweet American sour that hits the spot that some of the Belgians don't (read: less funky, more sweet). It's a great beer for sure.

Addendum: 2014 drank just as well as 2013 did, but just opened a bottle of 2015 fresh, and it just doesn't have that same raspberry punch to it. A little bit of astringent oak. Plenty of acidity, good mouthfeel and carbonation, but overall it just didn't live up to the last 2 vintages.

3.5/5  rDev -21%

4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Received in a trade. 2013 Vintage.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a very nice light ruby hue (like well, raspberry juice) that is crystal clear with a nice fat one finger slightly pinkish white head that fades to leave a nice thick creamy blanket. Wow.

S - Aromas just pop here. Bright raspberry. Actually, its different stages of raspberries...fresh berries, berry musk, raspberry smarties candy. Light oak.

T - Taste is super tart. Lots of oak, some nice wine notes as well. The raspberry is much more restrained here, which is too bad. There is raspberry tartness sure, and a bit of a fleeting flavour towards the back. Not nearly as powerful as the aroma, this is quite wine/oak forward and almost generic tartness. The berry is nice when it's there. The finish is much more raspberry smarties candy than fresh berries.

M - Mouthfeel is dry, tart, and brightly carbonated.

O - Overall, I enjoyed this beer. The taste though was a big time drop of the nose. If this was aged/old, I could understand and justify it...but for a fresh wild the raspberry should be much more powerful. Would definitely have it again though.

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%

2011 375 mL bottle consumed with Mike at City Beer.

Pours a beautiful, dark clear crimson color with a dense light pink/rose head; nice retention. Complex aroma of tart raspberry, earth, funk and oak. Flavor is dominated by the raspberry, lactic and earthy must; not particularly sour or as interesting as Temptation, but not good nonetheless. Light, crisp, mild bite on the body. I like raspberries, so I liked this a lot, but fresh the depth of other RR sours is lacking from this batch.

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.92/5  rDev +11.1%

I couldn't get a bottle in a trade so I went the Ebay route.

It pours a distinctive pink colour with a 1 finger head of pinkish foam. The lacing is outstanding.

The smell, well, if you want the aroma of the freshest raspberries that combines sweet and tart notes, this is it. Before I go any further, let me say I have a definite bias towards beers brewed with raspberries *if* they are done right.

First sip in and a bit of sweetness starts things off followed by a huge blast of raspberry tartness. Wow, just wow! The barrel aging here isn't very obvious but a tarty fruit like raspberries can mask it and truth be told, I don't miss it at all. The beer as is, is knocking my socks of with its deliciousness.

Fairly light bodied with a perfect level of carbonation, the mouthfeel is fitting and superb for the style.

I gotta say, it's going to be tough for any new beer I try in 2012 to top this one!

Framboise For A Cure from Russian River Brewing Company