Row 2/Hill 56 | Russian River Brewing Company

Row 2/Hill 56Row 2/Hill 56

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by litheum94 on 01-22-2012

Ratings: 1,232 |  Reviews: 142

This was in a mix box a friend shipped me. I expected it to be good, but this was highly impressive, citrus and pine. Easy drink. Man I am happy he sent this.

Golden beer, bright white top. Leaves tons of lacing down the side. Best part was he sent more than one.

Just had another, liked it even better this time.

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

A - pours a light copper with a finger of off white head that deflates into perfect lacing that makes a ring after each sip I take.

S - fruity cheese, if that makes sense, with hops overwhelmingly taking charge. The smell is fantastic and invades my nostrils every time I drink from the glass.

T - sharp carbonation starts off with what I take to be a malty start, then the hops come in with an initial piney bite then back off to a lingering bitterness coupled with citrusy amazing ness. Just balance perfected while still letting the simcoe sing in all glory.

M - this has lost no carbonation over night, not always my regular experience with growlers but Russian river really does it right. Dry dry dry as hell which makes you keep coming back for another sip. Good thing I have to polish off this growler tonight.

Overall this has replaced hop trip as my favorite pale ale. Really glad it is getting bottled soon.

4.96/5  rDev +14.5%

My favorite pale ale and possible my favorite russian river beer. Very fresh tasting. Pine citrus fruit flavors. Mellow/lit bitterness smooth and very drinkable.

4.96/5  rDev +14.5%

Draft at a Healdsburg, CA restaurant. One of the best APA's I have ever head. Thrilling hop taste but beautifully balanced with malt. Shame I was driving and could only have one.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

4.91/5  rDev +13.4%

Simply the best Pale Ale I've ever had, the new benchmark. After the sampler set at RR, I was planning on ordering the Pliny, but I ended up getting this instead. Blew my mind! So hoppy for a pale ale, move over Lagunitas Dogtown! Thank you Simcoe hops!

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 8/26/13
Poured into the Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head IPA glass

Appearance: (4.75)
Pours a gorgeous pale gold with a 2.5 fingers tall pure white head. The has great retention and leaves a thick coating of lace down the edges of the glass. Great looking pale ale.

Aroma: (4.75)
Absolutely bursting with pure Simcoe hop character! Juicy peach, lemon rind, bitter grapefruit, resinous pine, light tangerine and of course, that signature Simcoe astringency. Underneath the mountain of Simcoe, there is a light bready maltiness.

Taste: (5)
Your palate is slapped by a wallop of Simcoe hops right away; tons of juicy grapefruit, pine resin, tangerine zest and peach flesh. You can definitely tell that Russian River dry hopped the heck out of this beer by the tell tell 'burnt plastic' impression that comes with an intense dry hopping schedule. The beer finishes very dry, leaving only light coating of slightly sweet, bready malt left on your palate. The malt is very low profile and offer just the right amount of residual sweetness to balance out this very hoppy pale ale. Other than the light malt coating, the dry finish leaves you with long, lingering notes of bitter Simcoe hops;
mostly big notes of pine, grapefruit pith and lemon peel.

Mouthfeel: (5)
light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Very refreshing and crisp.

Overall: (4.75)
Russian River takes seemingly their favorite hop varietal, Simcoe and formulated a pale ale to showcase it's very robust aromas and flavors. What Row 2/Hill 56 turned out to be is a fantastically hoppy pale that has a malt/hop ratio that isn't all that dissimilar to their legendary Pliny the Elder. Very crisp and amazing pale ale that really allows the Simcoe hop to shine!

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Love this brew, another quintessential classic from RR. Pours a nice rich light copper color with a lite white head that wisps away quickly. Classic west coast pale ale. The 100% smicoe hopping makes it even better!

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Being on the East Coast, it's been a very long time since I've been able to try a NEW Russian River beer. I am very excite.

A-pours with an impressive amount of head. hay colored.

S-comes in with a amazing flavor of barley and grains with just a beautiful albeit small touch of grapefruit. smells of high quality. maybe the best smelling beer...ever.

T-comes in with a great light flavor of barley and bitterness. it's a very light though crisp flavor. the bitterness does come in with a delay, but once it's there...it sticks to the tongue. high quality flavor

M-so creamy. goes down easier than water.

O-this is the beer that sets the bench mark for drinkability. i've never in my life had a beer so savory. i can drink this like water. it definitely reminds me more of the "day time/all day" IPAs. it's so much more fresh and clean that most APAs.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Revisiting this via a growler that had a weekend’s wait on it.

Definitely tastes better fresh, or at the brewery (from the source) but even from a growler after a weekend’s rest it’s enjoyable.

Pours a clear golden-tan color with some foam lacing.

The aroma doesn’t come across as crisp and hoppy as on draught but I still get a pleasing hoppiness—some straw, some grass, a hint of tropical fruit too. Toasted pine and warm grass.

Flavor snaps, with a clear citrus squeeze and some light bitterness. This goes down all too easily. Definitely one I’ll have again.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers at Russian River. I usually take advantage and drink Row 2 over Pliny or Blind Pig, or even some of the sours because it's not bottled. Top notch pale ale that can compete with any other beers in it's style category. Just right with hoppiness and abv. Had it on tap at the Russian River bar area. Ask for a sample if unsure.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is flat-out awesome! I have a new favorite Pale Ale (sorry FW Pale 31).

I first tried this in one of the RR flights. Seriously...I would even take this over PTE in a heartbeat (and did for an extra 2 pints on my B-day)!

Its light, easy, and packs the hops in both aroma aroma and flavor.

Summed up?

Stunning Simcoe Pale Ale! I wish this was bottled regularly like Pliny....if so I would buy a bunch!

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Appearance is good as always for Russian River stuff, orangeish hazy color, slightly gold, but great looking beer.

S- Great floral and citrus smells, very similar in smell to that of Pliny, and absolutely love it.

T- Absolutely great, very well balanced between the hop notes, but also has a great malt backbone, nothing major, but all around a great beer.

M- Great mouthfeel, well done, Russian river never lets me down.

O- One of my favorites APA's, and is more true to the style. Up there with Zombie Dust and such, although I feel its a stretch to call ZD an APA. But thats another discussion

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Beautiful looking pale ale. Light, but bright golden orange with a head that begins bubbly but than quickly dissipates, almost disappearing entirely.

S- Heaven. This is so fruity, citrusy, a little pine, some herbal qualities, so good! I would say the perfect smelling american pale ale. No complaints here.

T- Follows the nose, but is slightly less floral than I was hoping, but not at all out of line from what I was expecting. Tropical fruits, orange, bitter lemon. Malts are evident, but work harmoniously with the hop profile. Near perfection.

M- Beautiful carbonation, maybe a little too thin for the style. I guess I expect a tiny bit more viscosity with an apa, but that might just be because I've never had one this good.

O- Phenomenal beer. Another glorious showcase of hops by the master. Pray to the beer gods that they bottle this one in the future!

Row 2/Hill 56 from Russian River Brewing Company