Row 2/Hill 56 | Russian River Brewing Company

Row 2/Hill 56Row 2/Hill 56

Russian River Brewing Company
rrbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by litheum94 on 01-22-2012

Ratings: 1,230 |  Reviews: 142

4.72/5  rDev +9%

2/11/2012

Growler from largadeer, thanks! Snifter.

A: Burnished yellow gold body with perfect clarity. The head forms two fingers of cratered sea foam. Very good retention and Brussels lace.

S: Signature Simcoe nose: spicy grapefruit with orange and a dash of mango. Dank pine resin accompanies pineapple, papaya, lemon, guava, and crackery malt. This is bright, vibrant, and intensely aromatic. I detect floral notes and a little herbal character.

T: Smooth moderate bitterness with some cracker and doughy malt. This is bursting with fruit: guava, pineapple, papaya, spicy grapefruit, orange, mango, apricot, and tangerine. Pine is notable. This is very hoppy but the malt is influential in providing balance, though not much in the flavor department.

M: Upper light to lower medium body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry, crisp, and sticky.

Overall: It's a crime that this went under the radar while Younger was pouring. This is an incredible Pale Ale. Move aside, Parking Violation.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Light orange and yellow, clarity for days, full inch of small bubbled, virgin white head almost exceeding the one inch range. Aroma was soft simcoe, lots of pine.

You've been here before, a dry light, barely toasted pale malt body, enormous flavorful hops, light mouthfeel, crisp finish, easy to drink, little to no sign of alcohol anywhere. Fruity, pineapple, apple, and pine. A treat for sure.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz pour on tap at the Russian River Brewpub in Santa Rosa, CA.. going off notes from last week, 9/26/2013.

Straw-coloured, hay, even. Came with a lovely white head, probably around 1cm just barely staying under the rim. I appreciate the Russian River Brewpub's giving me the proper pour. I can tell this beer is going to be great. Lots and lots of lacing all over the place.

Smells so grassy and grapefruity.. with a little bit of lemon zest. Some bready malt presence that just barely balances out the hoppiness, which is typical of Russian River. I was already excited to try this one, but damn, this is such a pungent nose. Great combination.

This is where the money is. This beer is just awesome. Lots of bread, toffee mixed in with citrus and floral hoppiness.. the aftertaste is actually fairly bitter, like I was sucking on a fresh grapefruit. Incredible, and you tell me this is an APA? No shit?

Medium-full bodied, a bit thicker than the typical APA. Very creamy, well-carbonated on draft. I love how well this goes down. I don't like how quickly this disappears.. this is just simply well done. Not too dry, refreshing yet so hoppy and bitter. I love this.

This is probably one of the best APAs I've ever had. It showcases the simcoe hops extremely well in a full-bodied, incredibly drinkable APA. Its like how Zombie Dust showcases the Citra hops so well. Vinnie really should bottle more of this beer.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Had on-tap at Russian River in Santa Rosa, CA. I'm not a huge fan of Simcoe, so I was interested to see if Russian River could turn my head.

Pours a quite light yellow colour, with some mild hazing to the body. Weight is solid but not overpowering. Head is filmy, patchy, but solid enough, and it leaves great lace. Overall, it's a pretty good-looking beer.

Nose is just lovely. Bright, punchy citrus like lemon and mandarin comes through strongly along with clean, fresh elements like passionfruit and lychee. Wow, this is Simcoe? It is, but not as I know it, obviously. This is powerful, sharp, fragrant and gorgeous.

Light clean entry on the palate, leading to more of those spicy lychee characters with deeper leafier hop characters. There's a slightly savoury note on the back with just enough bite to sharpen it, but no overt bitterness. Very clean and light feel, which is suitable.

OK, OK, Russian River. I give up. How did you perform this magic trick with Simcoe? This is gorgeous stuff, like no Simcoe I've ever had before—to me Simcoe was flabbily and lazily hoppy, giving citrus and oily pine with residual sweetness that always detracted from the beer. This is fragrant, juicy, tight and delicious. I'm just going to put it down to your skill.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Draft at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a slightly hazy, pale golden straw color with visible carbonation bubbling up and a two finger frothy white head.  Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap.  Large streaks and spots of soapy lacing left behind.

Delicate floral hop aroma that becomes more prominent as it warms.  Slight grassy/piny with subtle citrus and light fruit notes.  Hints of apple, pear, pineapple, grapefruit and lemon peel with a light biscuit malt backbone.

Medium bodied with tight carbonation and a spicy, floral hop bite up front that provide some dry bitterness that lingers throughout.  This is countered mid-palate by pale malt, subtle citrus and some light fruit.  Bitter but not too much so with the perfect amount of dryness that's countered by bready yeast, biscuit and pale malt.  I'm also picking up hints of straw, apple and pear.  Well balanced with great hop flavor making this beer very quaffable.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A-Pours a toasty, dark orange with light murkiness. Head is thinner. Light lacing. The body is dark but it omits an eye-catching, dull glow.

S-This is why I will alway, always, ALWAYS trust a hoppy Russian River brew. The aroma is just a squishy, juicy cup of hop-juice. I found out this was 100% Simcoe and I as surprised. It is just so damn complex in the hoppy aromas it provides. I find a lot of Simcoe to be a bit too rough for me in certain brews. Row 2/Hill 56 is tropical and ripe and evolving. A very hop-stressed APA. There is some caramel and dough there. Great aroma.

T-Flavor is even better. The malt provides a semi-stable balance until the onslaught of tropical hop flavors arrive with full power. Russian River nails those tropical-hop flavors. Exotic pineapple and apricot with some underripe melon. Grass, grapefruit and oranges too. A tickle of pineapple as well! Excellent.

M-The body matches the ABV but the flavors would pair more with a DIPA. Bitter but nothing to brazen. I may have finished this glass the quickest of them all during my stay at the brewpub.

O/D-One of the best APAs I have had. Right there with Blind Pig and within shouting distance of Pliny the Elder. They all have similar flavor aspects. In conclusion: I could drink this forever and would never lose my shit-eating grin.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden amber, with a healthy head and lots of bubbles rising. Moderate, splotchy lacing.

S: An initial burst of pine gives way to a softer citrus aroma. Not a super hop bomb, but pleasant.

T: Orange, lemon peel, a bit of oily pine. As the hops subside, cracker malts, with a long, balanced finish.

M: Relatively light body with good carbonation.

O: Very nice pale ale

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

I wanted this the minute I heard about it. A low ABV all Simcoe hop pale ale from Russian River? Yes please! Thank you, Chris.

Pouring the expected light amber with a dense off-white head with rather excellent retention and lacing, this is a gorgeous beer. Clarity is pretty high as well. The nose has the gorgeous Simcoe hop character, reminding me immediately of Pliny the Elder. Floral and fruity, there's plenty of tropical fruit here with mango and papaya. A delicate orange/citrus character, one I can only describe as pellucid is also present.

The beer really does shine on the palate. With a beautiful balance between a clean bitterness and plenty of hop flavor, this beer is excellent. Tropical fruit is present by the boatload, especially on the mid-palate, with mango and papaya and plenty of soft citrus notes. Ripe but not too sweet citrus fruits (navel oranges in particular come to mind). Drying and mildly bitter on the finish, with a mild herbal character, this beer is light in body, softly carbonated and a sublime drinker. Malt presence is faint, lending just a hint of cracker-like character to the mid-palate, but apart from that, this beer is a showcase for hops.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but the similarities of this beer with Elder are pretty strong, especially the water profile. I mention that in particular, because unlike Blind Pig which has plenty of bitterness and hop resin, this beer, along with Elder, is a lot less palate crushing (that term doesn't even apply here). This allows me to pick up just a faint bit of chalkiness on the palate, a characteristic I'm usually not a big fan of, but works. And as a final point of comparison, I would have to say this is #3 on my APA list, behind Hoppy Birthday and Parking Violation. Still, an excellent beer.

**Edit 2 hours later**
So I've split this one with my dad and am ruing my decision. I think the appropriate serving size for this beer is 2liters. As it warms up, it becomes increasingly juicy and delicious. The nose exudes a certain classiness and delicacy that really calls out for a slightly higher score. I want to up the scores, but I'm hesitant.

Row 2/Hill 56 from Russian River Brewing Company