Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

1.84/5  rDev -60%

1.9/5  rDev -58.7%

Bottled 2/24/11

A: straw
S: good, nothing epic, had better smelling ipas
T: bad. And the the hype surrounding this beer made it taste even worse. Tasted like cigarettes, burnt toast, and alcohol. Needs A LOT more malt.
M: sharp from the carbonation, bad from the cigarette-ness. Went down partially smooth, I suppose
O: Again, was very disappointed in this beer, especially with all the hype it gets. Will not drink the other three I have in the basement.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.08/5  rDev -54.8%

2.13/5  rDev -53.7%

Over rated not as big as the hype that was behind it. I love ipa but this wasn't that impressive

2.21/5  rDev -52%

I dont know I f I got a bad batch of this beer but it is definitely NOT WORTHY OF AN A+!

Bought four pint bottles from Whole Foods Cupertino. Thre reason I bought four is because I was expecting an awesome brewski.

Appearance is average. It pours a Budweiser Yellow. Lets be honest.

Smell is okay. I dont really judge any beer off its smell.

Taste. This is where it gets weird. I took the first sip of beer and I tasted the intense flavor of ALCOHOL. I know a Double IPA is gonna be a strong beer but the smell and palate feel was that of a post vodka shot. I hope this is a bad batch, cause I really wanna enjoy this beer. I just didnt.

Mouthfeel. SEE TASTE.

Overall, I would not pay $5 a pint for a beer I had a bad experience with ever again, but if a friend buys me one, I would be open to trying it again in hopes that the batch was on point.

2.25/5  rDev -51.1%

2.4/5  rDev -47.8%

2.42/5  rDev -47.4%

I expected BIG things from this Ale. TOTALLY OVER RATED!!! One dimensional with no sophistication . Tasted like a pine cone or kitty litter, take your pick, Very short after taste that finished like balsa wood. Can't figure out all the hype??? I tasted this with 2 other Beer Drinkers, and we all felt the same.

2.48/5  rDev -46.1%