Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,525 |  Reviews: 3,703
4.54/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draught @ Monk’s: My first impression was "what is all the fuss about?" So I asked our waitress if I had gotten the correct beer. She brought me another. As soon as I saw it we realized the first one was the wrong beer. They have Damnation on tap as well and mistakenly given me one of those. The Elder pours a darker golden color with about a finger of off white foam. It didn’t linger long but did leave a little lacing. The nose was huge! Lots of grapefruit and pine notes. Hard to smell the malts, but can faintly pick some up. The taste is excellent! Hops are not overpowering. Big malt body. Extremely well balanced. An extremely good beer.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.72/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Jake_ramrod for the share. He's the man.

Bottled on 2.6.14. Strong for enjoying in KY.

A. Light straw. Very translucent. Excellent clarity. Poured a minor head that quickly retreats to a fine-bubble rim.

S. Minor aroma. Very fresh. Fruity hops. A little straw.

T. Fresh and clean. Extremely smooth. The malts are very minimal and the hops very pronounce. The hops are more piney and resiny than fruity. No booze at all.

M. Super, duper smooth. Moderate carbonation. Light body.

O. Bam, a dang fine ale. I'm lucky to have the opportunity to try one. Worth the hype and certainly worth the trouble. The booze is extremely well hidden, considering the ABV. This has session written all over it.

On tap at monks cafe over the weekend. What else is there to say about Pliny thAt hasn't been 100 times. Terrific double IPA and the most balanced beer for its style I've ever had.

There are other IPAs that I like more but I believe Pliny is the best IPA out there true to style.

I'll never turn one down that's for sure.

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

4.34/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on February 6th, 2014, drank on February 19th, 2014.

Orange, super bright, white rocky head. Looks great in the Russian River pint glass I've been reserving for this for so long. We want this beer in WA!!

Really interesting beer. After serving it the hop aroma starts invading the room. Can feel it 2-3 feet away. Putting the nose in the glass makes it obvious, but not overwhelming. All kind of hops, dank, piney, fruity, citrusy. Malt is there too, way behind, though, but it's there.

Taste is hop forward, but balanced. So balanced it's incredible. Nothing goes out of proportion in this beer. Everything is exactly where it should be, everything is there but nothing is obvious. Not extremely bitter, highly drinkable. Something is sweet, but just right sweet. Just to balance the hops.

Mouthfeel is light, easy drinking. Maybe this is what drinkability means and not what the guys from the drinkability ads sell. Sip, gulp, want more, repeat, repeat. Darn, it's gone. Are you sure it was 8% ABV? Felt like nothing. I'd have another two, or three.

Not sure if it's the best IPA I've ever tasted it, but it's darn good. I hope I can go to Santa Rosa soon. I'll pack two cases of it and drive back. It will be an amazing month when I do it.

Cheers!