Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Ratings: 14,484 |  Reviews: 3,696
4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

4.61/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

An amazing IPA. Great nose on this beer. Lots of citrus fruit. The mouth feel is good and I like the ABV at where it is at 8%. I think any higher and you would be able to taste the booze in the beer. I don't think it is as high as quality as Heady Topper or some of the Three Floyd's beer that has been out there, but still a amazing beer.

3.45/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

OMFG, let the hate begin. Poured a golden color into that damn shaker glass. Aroma of citrus and pine. Taste was citrus with too much bitterness in the end for my palate. Good but I don't see the "holy crap. I HAVE to try this. My pallete just doesn't sem to get it.

4.37/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to Midaszero for the bottle.

The bottle poured a perfect clear golden liquid, with a good amount of carbonation and a nice little head. Good lacing with this DIPA too. It smells fresh and sweet, a good amount of floral hops with a fruity sweetness. Its taste is a little less hoppy than the smell, but pleasing since I drank the beer alone. I would have needed food had I had more than 1. It has a light feeling in the mouth that finishes pleasantly. I'm happy to have had this DIPA!

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%

Basically everything I said about the bottled version, but even moreso. On tap, this beer is just something really special. The flavors are all there just as expected, but the mouthfeel is really improved - silky smooth with a bit more carbonation and perfect body. Truly a joy to sip and enjoy.

All that said, I just updated my bottle review with a bit lower taste score. The last few bottles, dated 6/10/09, seem to have lost a bit of the hops flavor profile. Perhaps I am being harsher after having it on tap, but I hope that the increased production they are pushing has not impacted quality.

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a ccb pint glass. Golden and translucent, two finger head with lots of lacing. Aromas of citrus and pine in the hops with malt in the background. Taste follows the nose, very hoppy, some malt bitterness is high. it doesn't seem as complex as the hype around this beer, it's a great dipa just not as great as all the hype.

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

4.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company