Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,427 |  Reviews: 3,693

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%

Baby steps. The first time I had this one I wasn't prepared. Now I've revisited it after some "seasoning".

Looks great in the glass. Nice off white head with a clear amber color and some bubbles dancing around the edges. Smells of a wide range of citrus, with the hoppy bitterness promised but somehow not overwhelming.

This is exactly how the beer tastes, but everything blends ideally to make something that is unbeatable for the style. Pine, juniper, maybe even cedar, jumbled amongst orange and grapefruit rind with lemon in there too. Enough sweetness to actually do some good balancing.

Resin never overwhelms the palate, with medium body and carbonation. Shockingly drinkable, probably because it tastes so damn good.

Even if you don't take price into consideration, this is a stupendously good beer. For $4, it probably can't be beat.

4.42/5  rDev -3.9%

500mL bottle with bottling date 3/21/11 poured into snifter, reviewed on 4/6/11

A: Beautiful slightly hazed golden color with off-white head. Moderate head retention leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Lots of hops in the nose on this one, a big bouquet of citrus and pine notes, barely let any malt aroma through. Slight grassy smell hiding behind the citrus and pine. Great smell for its style.

T: Again, lots of hops. Lots of hop bitterness up front which slowly fades as the hop flavors bombard my taste buds. Some faint malt comes through in the middle and finish, but the hops are what dominate the taste. I can still taste all the hops in my mouth long after taking a sip.

M: Medium-light bodied with good carbonation, very smooth and finishes dry with a lingering tingle on my tongue from all the hops.

O: This is undeniably a great imperial IPA. Very drinkable for 8 percent, awesome hop presence through and through. Definitely one of the best in its style.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Short and sweet review.

-Bottled on 10-3-13, drinking today 10-17-13.

-Huge west coast typical aroma with a larger pine and citrus smell. This thing is a pine and hop bomb! Freshly squeezed grapefruit but plenty of malt backbone to balance things out perfectly. Nice blend on citrus and malts. Finishes dry.

Pliny definitely lives up to the hype. The best? Maybe. If you call yourself a beer geek you must try it.

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hits the nail right on the head. Best example of a west coast DIPA I've ever had!!!

4.9/5  rDev +6.5%

4.28/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

Finished of my Cali trip with a sweet bottle of Pliny the Elder. I've had enough hops this past week to last me quite a while.

IPA's are not one of my favorite styles but I've grown a new appreciation for them. Pliny The Elder is without a doubt the best IPA that I have ever had.

The bottle I had was dated Feb. 26, 2009. I heeded the warnings on the bottle and enjoyed it immediately. It pours a nice golden yellow into my Stone IPA pint glass (boy this glass earned it's keep the last week) there was a 2 finger head which quickly dissipated to leave a nice lace on the glass.

The scent was sweet, not as hoppy as most of the other IPA's that I have had. The pine in this brew really stood out to me.

The taste is sweet, very citrusy. You can taste the pine and then the whole thing is followed up by some of the best hop flavor to ever be put in a beer.

I was enjoying my .5 litre bottle just before going to bed. It went down very smooth after a long day of doing nothing...

The beer has much more body than it's appearance would lead you to believe. Again overall it was very well done. If IPA's were my thing, this would be at the top of my list. I could still drink a few of these as it is.

Seek this stuff out.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a nice yellow gold into an Ommegang Belgian glass. Fine, perfect white head that sits on the top 1/2 inch of the glass. Aromas of pine and citrus, flavor is of fresh grapefruit, lemongrass, and biscuit malt. Fresh hop aroma and pleasant bitterness balance the refreshingly substantial yet masked malt backbone. Excellent balance, excellent hop profile, superb drinkability.
Drank on 8/29/10 with bottled date of 8/11/10. Thanks to Loki83 for the fresh, tasty extra!

4.92/5  rDev +7%

A: Bright yellow bordering on gold. Thick sea foam head that stuck around and laced the glass beautifully for the entire drink.

S: Lots of citrus with lemon and pine sap coming through. There is a lot here but I cant place it all. Maybe some fresh cut flowers too.

T: Wow. Lots of bite upfront with immense orange and lemon. The pine sap comes around in the end with a final bite of pure bitterness. The malts really stand up throughout this thing without ever coming over the top. The alcohol slowly warms me up at the end.

M: Lighter than expected but not light. Not syrupy. Just medium.

O: Awesome beer. Get me another now. Huge hops but well balanced and layers of flavor. I wouldnt change a thing about this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Went to look for a certain pumpkin ale today and saw people walking out of the cooler with these! Pours a crystal clear amber with short head that leaves a bubbly slick as it dies down. Nose on this is out of control - super citric orange peel and tropical fruit mixed with a soft floral aroma. Taste is solid all the way through, you get a quick bite up front, some spice and citrus in the middle and a lingering resiny bitterness on the back end; this beer hits it all. The alcohol at 8% is barely noticeable, but does leave you with a nice warming sensation in the belly. Mouthfeel is medium with a delicate champagne like carbonation. Overall I think this is a great West Coast IIPA, but I prefer a little more malt balance, and I'd say FW Union Jack is comparable if you can't find this. I really never expected to see it anywhere so pretty stoked to have tried it!

4.61/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company