Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Ratings: 14,754 |  Reviews: 3,731
4.77/5  rDev +2.6%

poured from a bottle into a snifter. huge hops out of the bottle and in the glass. this bottle must be quite fresh. taste is all hops, strong citrus (mostly red grapefruit), light bitterness, but full flavor. bitter but very balanced. smooth in the mouth, lightly carbonated. little head when poured. if this was available, i would drink often, very often. i now understand the hype.

4.77/5  rDev +2.6%

Purchased at Hollingshead's. Bottled on 7/30/08 and consumed on 8/14/08.

A- Poured from a 500mL bottle into a New Belgium globe glass, this beer pours a hazy amber color with a sticky, slightly off-white head that settles to a thin layer over the beer, leaving
some thick, cloud-like lacing after each sip.

S- The aroma is teeming with piney and grapefruity hops that are supported by tropical fruits and some nice malty sweetness. There's very little alcohol presence.

T- At first, the taste is intensely bitter with very little malt backing to even it out. But as the beer warms, the malt backbone begins to come through. This is one of the purest hop flavors I have ever tasted in a beer. The piney bitterness strongly lingers on the back of the tongue long after each sip.

M- The mouthfeel of this beer is good. It's oily and slick, but it still feels just a touch on the light side for a beer that is this hoppy. The moderate carbonation adds a nice lively touch.

D- This beer was a joy to drink, and I found myself wishing that I had a bigger bottle. The 8% ABV isn't even a factor in this category.

This is the best double IPA, and one of the best beers, that I have ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +4.7%

16.9oz bottle
Bottled on 07/30/08

A- Pours a nice amber color with a sticky head that leaves lacing all over the glass.

S- The aroma is filled with fresh resinous hops, out of this world and just begs you to drink it.

T- All I can say is wow! The taste like the aroma is dominated by the fresh bitter hop flavors. Definitely not the hoppiest beer I have ever had, but it is plenty bitter and the hop flavors are so damn good!

M- The mouthfeel is really smooth, not too thick or too thin. Just perfect!

D- Wow! This is one hell of a beer, and I would definitely put it in my top 5. Pliny The Elder is a world class DIPA, and well worth the hype.

4.59/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Joey from South Bay Drugs for keeping this in stock concurrent with our Coronado family trip-poured into Coronado Brewing pint glass...

Golden honey body with sparse visible carbonation and ample head with nice texture and lacing.

Of course I can smell the hops without trying. Very sweet, oily, bountiful hop aroma with velvety caramel malt backbone. Faint alcohol serves as a binder (or a catalyst). Can't get better than this.

Of course the floral hops dominate but there's a malt nuttiness-almost peanut brittle-that mixes with the mild alcohol essence to create beautiful chemistry.

Deep, well balanced yet hop-bitter citrus grapefruit puckering finish mellowed well by velvety caramel malt. First pour could use a little more carbonation to bring out all elements but warmth takes care of this.

One of the best-a stellar example of the style.

4.42/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks Thimbledrome for this one. Bottled on 7/10/2008 poured into a tulip glass.

It is a hazy golden, straw color with puffy white head that recedes very slowly. Smell is all hops...pine, grapefruit, and a little alcohol. The taste is a nice smack of hops and quickly fades to a malty flavor and back to hops at the end. The end of this beer is very dry, like the alcohol just evaporates everything in your mouth. It is much thinner than I expected and does not coat the tongue like a lot of DIPAs do. This is a highly drinkable beer for 8% and goes down much like a solid IPA would. There is a little boozy warmth left lingering in your mouth, but very well constructed.

I can not say this beer lives up to its hype, but it is definitely my style of DIPA. It is not overly sweet like a lot DIPA's can be, but very well balanced with a very fragrant dose of hops.

4.37/5  rDev -6%

This beer pours a very hazy orange color with a decent sized solid white head. The head died down a bit, but it left patchy lacing on my tulip glass. The nose on this beer is very fresh and vibrant. The citrus scent is the most dominant with plenty of earthiness and pine scents nipping at the heels of the citrus scent, but no malt to really speak of in the nose. The flavor profile starts out with loads of hop bitterness leaning towards pine bitterness with the citrus fruit and tropical fruits flavors really coming in about mid-drink. The flavors are very pronounced, but they do not overpower you in anyway, but rather combine for a very pleasant flavor profile. The initial rush of hop bitterness if huge, but somehow the finish is soft and clean. I am very surprised as well at how low the malt flavor is, but still supports the hops brilliantly. The drinkability is really amazing for a DIPA with the alcohol well hidden, and I would have gladly had another bottle of this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to swnicholson for this baby! What a day!- Blind pig and supplication in the afternoon, great dinner, then Pliny before bed!
Poured from the bottle into a goblet. Nice bright orange color with a sticky white head that lasts and produces tons of sticky lace.
Smell is intoxicating. Tons of citrus hop aroma. Lots of grapefruit and orange. One of the best aromas in a dipa I have smelled. Lately it seems most of the dipa's have been hop heavy but really malty as well. Not this one. Great balance, but the hops are the heroes!
Wonderful, zesty hop flavor throughout the mouth! Nice and full flavored as well- I just want to swich it throughout my mouth- does not kill the taste buds, just the right amount of hop bite with a sweet, sweet finish. Maybe a bit of damp hop taste as well (funky?)
This may be the best beer I have ever had. I am going to have another tonite to make sure, and I am really looking forward to it!!

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I gotta admit, i am a bit intimadated by this beer. heard so much about it, its hard not to buy into the hype. ok here goes. pured into my favorite imperial pint glass. about 2 fingers of offwhite head from a gentle pour. says for a bit, the recedes leaving mounds of lacing, and a thin film on top. some bubbles coming to the top, slowly. beer is a light amber.
smell is a hop assault. floral , piney hops and lots of them.
taste is the same as the smell, huge hit of hops. bitter but not so much as to be undrinkable, tons of hop flavor, i get a bit of malt, but it seems to be all about the hops really, and thats fine with me.
mouthfeel is velvet, not real thin, not real thick, for a dipa anyway, fair amount of carbonation tingling my tongue.
very refreshing, delicious beer, dangerously drinkable for 8%. one of the firat west coast hop bombs i have had, and now 90 minute has competion as my favorite beer.

4.67/5  rDev +0.4%

Fresh (bottled 7/1/08, drank 8/6/08) 500mL bottle (care of swnicholson- thanks!) poured into my trusty Sam Adams glass.

Pours a light copper color with a thick foamy head. Smells strongly of fresh hops- there's no mistaking the intentions of this beer. Aroma intensifies as it warms, and I find myself continuing to smell it between sips. As I drink, the head thins out but remains ever present, thanks in part to the nucleation site in the glass.

Taste is beautifully hoppy, yet smooth. The hops don't kick you in the mouth as I would expect, but they are present and the aftertaste remains long after each sip. Bitterness is low, making this a relatively accessible DIPA, unsurprising given its 8% ABV.

I easily polished off the bottle of this, and feel like I could do another no problem. Drinkability is perfect. This is one smooth DIPA, and could probably be appreciated by both veterans of the style and those looking to expand their horizons.

This beer is incredibly crafted, and leaves me yearning to try its younger brethren. Russian River does well with this, and I'm glad it finally made it to bottles, else I would have never had this opportunity. The pleadings on the bottle (drink this fresh!) are definitely worth heeding, and I wish I'd drank this even closer to its bottled-on date.

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Murchmac for sending this exceptional brew.

Pours a very nice slightly hazy orange/yellow with a wonderful stark white head. The nose is pure citrus and pine hop flavors, and slight maltiness. Taste is simply exceptional. Not too heavy, not too light, very balanced. crisp, clean. Pure. Any hophead knows what I mean when I say that. citrusy hops abound. Mouthfeel is just about perfect. If anything I would say it could be the tiniest touch thicker, but I sat and debated whether or not to give the feel a 4.5 or a 5 for about 10 minutes. fantastically smooth, and defenitely one of, if not the, most drinkable DIPA I have ever consumed. It literally took me about 5 minutes to drink this. (good thing I have another one!) Totally refreshing, and beautifully smooth. A wonderfully crisp and pure brew. Art at its finest, defenitely my favorite RR brew as of yet. Beatification is great, Deviation was amazing, but this beer, is simply perfectly ideal for the style. Deserving of the hype, and worth seeking out. Hope to see this one continue to be bottled well into the future. Thanks again to Tim for these. Incredible brew.

4.17/5  rDev -10.3%

Pint Bottle

Bottled 7/10/08

I received a couple of these in a recent trade with BrewerB, thanks again Brian! The Elder Pliny pours a surprisingly clear bright golden with big sunshine bright highlights when backlit. Carbonation bubbles creep up the sides of the glass to the dense head. A standard pour brought about a two finger white billowy head that eventually receded to a solid cap worth of quality staying power. As the head falls it leaves big intricate lacing down the glass and sheet lacing where each drink was taken.

The nose on this beer is all big and pungent hoppiness. There's something in the big hoppiness of this beer that brings to mind Hop Wallop. There are heavy handed doses of dense pine sap, resinous hops, dissolving aspirin, pineapple, orange, and lightly sweetened grapefruit. Hemp seed makes a big showing as well. Yes the aroma really is that loaded with hoppy goodness. When I say heavy handed in the hop department that's a good thing. While the hops run the gamut the sappiness and resin qualities take the lead. There's not a great deal of malt noticeable in the nose but what's there is cake like and way in the back.

The flavor is still hop heavy, obviously, but seems to be a bit more muddled then the nose suggested. The front end hits with big notes of sappy and resinous hop juice but the middle is where things get muddled when the citric qualities of the hops try and join the party. The aspirin bitterness makes an appearance on the backend when things begin to clear up and lingers through the finish. The maltiness is more pronounced in the flavor with a frosting like sweetness drizzled lightly with caramel. Don't get me wrong, the hops still hold the fort and the malts can't figure out how to cross the moat.

The body of this beer is right where it should be. Although the abv is up there at 8% the body is velvety and right down the middle of the spectrum. The carbonation is smooth and natural with a really nice soft texture. The big hopping adds a growing bitterness as the glass empties.

The drinkability is good for a beer with such large alcohol content. As a matter of fact this bottle is disappearing far to fast for my liking. The bitterness is mild enough to keep on drinking and still enjoy the beer for what it is.

I have wanted to give Pliny a go since I've been active on this site and I'm glad I finally get the opportunity to do so. Although I gave this beer good reviews I can't help but be a little disappointed after all the looking forward I've done over the years. I was looking for a total hop bomb but this beer fell a little short. I guess if the anticipation around sampling this beer wasn't so high for me I would have given it a better review but it is still an excellent beer.

3.94/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This beer poured a cloudy yellow with virtually no head.

S: The smell is very inviting. It is strong of grapefruit and evergreen - HOPS!

T: Hoppy! The beer turned my tongue inside out!! It is a full on hop assault. My only complaint is that it is more like a hop tea than a DIPA. The malt is almost non-existent.

M: A little on the thin side.

D: Interesting - but a bit one dimensional.

4.62/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of AgentSteve. Much thanks

Pours a light amber in color with a huge, ginormous 4 inch head. I could smell the deluge of hops as soon as I popped the cap and began to pour. Smell is amazing. Very citrusy, juicy, bittering hops. Taste is much the same, but comes across much more balanced than the smell would lead you to believe. Good mouthfeel and very nice lacing on the glass. Glad I finally got the chance to try this behemoth. It definitely deserves it's spot up there with HopSlam, Dreadnaught and Hop 15. My dream would be a blind tasting with all these on draft!

2.91/5  rDev -37.4%

Fresh / dated 07.10.08

Pours nicely with a fair amount of carbonation building a nicely formed loose head that has some staying power. Light copper coloring, minimal passive carbonation after sitting a moment, lots of lacing.
Aromatics are pleasant, but this does not transfer to the tongue. Soapy and bitter. I have wanted to get my hands on this for sometime and it did not deliver. There is nothing that makes me go "Wow!". No complexity, nothing to savor, nothing that entices the palate, nothing that slakes the thirst. Huge let down.

4.57/5  rDev -1.7%

500 ml bottle.

Mostly clear golden orange body with lighter edges. Thick, meringue-like, cotton-white head. Great lacing. The nose is, well, wow. Pure hop nirvana. It smells like a fresh picked bushel of Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, and ??? This is my kind of beer. This is the first time I have had this beer, but I brewed an extract clone of it back in 2006 (before the hop shortage). I loved the smell of the clone I made, but this, the original, is even better. Cat pee, pine sap, pure hop oils, resin, pineapple, grapefruit, and more. Small whiffs of fruit malt in the background.

Taste continues with the hop assault, which is very much to my liking. Herbal hop bitterness up front. Citrus and pine hop flavors follow. Cat pee, pepper, and tangerine around the edges. Tropical fruit and sugar cookie malt sweetness fight through, but just barely, and only for a moment. Herbal bitterness comes on strong with marmalade, pineapple, aspirin, and more pines sap. Wow. After a quarter of the bottle, my tongue is already numb. Orange sorbet and apricot in the finish with long-lasting bitterness and hints of fruit cocktail. Medium-bodied with a moderately creamy feel. I almost wish there was a little more body. A hophead's dream and I'm glad I have another bottle in the fridge!

4.79/5  rDev +3%

500 ml bottle. Poured into snifter.

Been drinking Pliny on tap for a long time. First time in a bottle.

Dark orange/golden color with a nice soapy lingering head.

The aroma is awesome. Earth. Grassy, flowery hops. Don't forget our frineds the citrus hops. Grapefruit fiesta. Yowza. You can smell it across the room.

Well. Big grassy bitterness up front. Balancing breadiness. Lingering citrus hop finish. Bingo. Winner.

Medium bodied. Crisp. Clean. Dry. Wonderful.

The 8.0% is almost undetectable. I can drink these all day. And have. And will. Happily.

As with any beer in my opinion, on tap is always better & fresher. But I think I enjoyed this one just as much as I have on tap. One of my all time favorite beers.

The world is a better place with Pliny available in bottles to take home.

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Tried at the Brewer's Fest in Portland.

A: Darker gold, nice head with a bit of lacing.

S: Very grassy, hops are fantastic. A little fruity.

T: Great northwest hops are the dominant flavor, along with a nice bitter grapefruit flavor. Interesting grassy background. Really good. Alcohol barely detectable.

M: Well-carbonated, non-astringent, medium-light bodied.

D: Awesome. I could drink a half-gallon.

4.62/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

***Update 07/15/09***

Still an amazing beer - got this bottle courtesy of Southbay, bottling date of 06/10 - but I'm going to adjust my score ever so slightly, taking the mouthfeel down from a 5.0 to a 4.5. It's still an incredibly soft and smooth brew, but it's a little less even than I remember it being. Still one of the best DIPAs I've ever had - cheers!

Bottle from BrewerB in a trade. Thank you SO much. Poured into a chalice.

A: Gorgeous clear orange amber, minimal, slow, lazy carbonation.

A: Minty, basil, purely herbal, grapefruit. The most promising beer you could ever sink your nose into. It's really a 6.0 out of 5.0. It sets up absolutely huge expectations that you really can't deliver on. Is this a fault!? Absolutely unbelievable.

T: A let down from the taste, but truly, how much is expectation and how much is really the taste? It's piney and herbal, there's tons of grapefruit, hints of pineapple, great, complex, bready caramel, but this one is just so amazingly inviting, what can you expect? I want to give it a boost, just 'cause.

M: 5.00. Pure wonderful amazingness. It's fine, even, perfect in every way. Medium-bodied.

D: I can't in good faith give this less than a 4.5. This beer is incredible. It's absolutely incredible. Perhaps the most highly recommended beer I've ever rated.

4.79/5  rDev +3%

Clear shiny orange amber with a big ole frothy mass of foam.

Aroma starts off just bitter and co2 stingy until the foam dies away. Then a rich bouquet of hops takes over. Earthy cannabis and pine resin.

Flavor is juicy and mouthwatering hops. Strong and slightly spicy wood and cannabis, rich pine resin, and sticky grapefruit citrus. The true hopheads dream!

The big hops and imperial levels of malt make for a full balanced mouthfeel and great finish. Im sorry to say that the aroma beats out the taste in this one. It's just so rich and omnipotent. I want to just cup my hands over the glass and smell it all night.

A bit oily and chewy in the aftertaste, but the big juicy flavors just make me want to keep drinking it and never stop...thus i only experience the aftertaste once :)

4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

Deep golden amber in color, steady carbonation with a medium creamy head that actually has some good retention and lacing. Huge smell of hop juice. Resinous and stinky green, just how I like it. Sugared citrus and pine. Peppered grapefruit. Taste is a bitter, hoppy explosion. Grapefruit, pine, with a biscuity malt for some balance. Again, it's got a lightly sugared citrus flavor with a definite spicy, peppery character as well. Good assertive bitterness with a near medium body. Nice drying finish and a tingle on the tongue. Drinkablity is up there. Reminds me of a less vibrant White Knuckle. Very similar in many regards to that, so it's hard to put it too close because it truly doesn't get there in my mind. Still, that aside, it's one of the better brews within the style that I've had the chance to try. Almost closer to an IPA when you compare it to Younger, though. When will they bottle Younger?!

Big, big thanks to jhenry04 for the help with this and others.

4.42/5  rDev -4.9%

Serving type- Bottle poured into a regular pint bottle.

A- Pours a straw yellow, almost like a macro lager look. Nice white lace is present from beginning till the end. No present activity in the glass after pour.

S- Smells of citrus either grapefruit or peach, I can't quite tell.

T- This beer tastes of citrus and floral boutique. Nice and very smooth. Strong flavors that mellow out in the end of drink.

Received this in a trade and am glad I got it. This is my first Russian River selection and they have lived up to the top billing they have gotten on this site. I can't wait to try more selections from Russian River and my only regret is that I can't get any of these around here.

500ml bottle

Thanks Praveen!

bottled on 07/10/08

Pliny the Elder pours a brilliant orange color with slight haze and a creamy sticky off white head. The nose is heaven, loads of fresh resiny hops, lots of grapefruit and citrus, beautiful. The taste is immensely hoppy and wonderful. This definitely one of the best DIPAs i've had to date. Notes of pepper, citrus, peaches, apricot, and a solid malt back bone balanced with the perfect amount of alcohol heat. Its medium body is perfect, just the right mouth feel for the style, not overly syrupy and barleywine-like. The aftertaste is semi-sweet and malty with a long lingering cannabis, resiny hop finish. awesome. I could drink this all the time.

4.92/5  rDev +5.8%

I have been enjoying this beer for a while at local alehouses, but just now do I review it as I have my first sips from one of their newly released 500ml bottles poured into a pint glass.

Color is pale with faint hues of copper, a finger of white lacing that gobs the side of the glass befriends me.

Smell is honestly grapefruit with a hint of pine resin at the end. It makes my mouth water... so good.

Taste is piney,. citrusy, floral, definitely meg dry hops. Already a classic example of what the style aspires to. Super smooth for being 8% as well.

Mouthfeel is soft with very little prickly bubbles that dance with the hops. Flavor sticks with you somewhat.

I love this beer, it converted me to the stronger hop levels years ago. It still draws me in today and with every sip reminds me of why I loved it in the first place. IMO the soul of hops is captured and turned into ambrosia for this brew. One of my forever beer-drinking staples.

4.74/5  rDev +1.9%

Many, many thanks to hoppymeal for this very nice surprise.

Bottled on 7/10/08

Appearance: It pours an orange/amber color that's light gold around the edges. It's got a very nice two and a half finger head that's just a shade off white. Retention was excellent and a very thick coat of lace remained.

Smell: Strong scents of citrus grapefruit and pineapple greet the nose first. Very sweet smelling. Hops don't waste any time jumping into the mix and do a very nice job of pummeling the nose. It's a very piney and citric hop aroma. Not sure of the hop bill here, but it gives the impression that it's certainly diverse. Piney and citric scents are the strongest. A mix of malt varieties is notable, but they're not doing a good job of holding their own. The hops are beating them down pretty easily. Excellent smelling beer.

Taste: The initial rush of sweet citrus grapefruit and pineapple flavors are quickly followed by an intense hop attack. Very piney, resiny, and citric flavor...and bitter. The hop flavor is really flavorful and diverse. It's a little sugary. There is a bit malt in there, mostly pale. But, it's rather subdued and yields to the intense hop bitterness pretty easily. I'm an admitted hophead and that sits just fine with me. Very well done. It finishes sweet and bitter. Alcohol is masked very well and is not noticeable at all.

Mouthfeel/Drinkbility: It feels medium bodied, but is not far from full. It's amazing how creamy and smooth this beer is. It's liquid silk. Carbonation is not overly active and really attributes to its smoothness. Drinkability is off the charts for me personally. I could drink this all night and then some. At 8%, it may be a little high, but it's good enough to just keep on drinking.

I was expecting this beer to be good. Damn good at that. But, it's actually a little better than I was even expecting. I'm skeptical by nature and don't buy into hype too often. This one's not hype. All substance. Easily among the top DIPAs I've had the pleasure of trying. Seek this one out.

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Bottle picked up at City Beer Store in San Francisco bottled on 071008, poured into a snifter.
Pours a clear rich amber color with 1 finger of soap foamy slightly off-white head. Good retention and nice lasting thick fluffy sticky lacing that coats the glass as the liquid leaves. Smells of grapefruit, honey, biscuit, oranges, lemon rind, and pine. Taste packs loads of citrus up front with grapefruit, orange, pineapple, lemon, and tangerine followed by a solid honey and biscuity malt backbone. The finish oozes pine and some spicy hops with a wee bit of alcohol. Medium bodied with perfect carbonation throughout. Smooth but with bite. Lots of citrus notes up front with a sweet and malty middle and a great bitter foresty finish. A great DIPA with lots of different hop flavors that don't compete for dominance, instead work together to make an incredibly flavored beer. Dangerously easy to drink as the alcohol is well hidden.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company