Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Reviews: 3,678 | Ratings: 14,339

Have heard of this DIPA but never gazed my eyes on it until today. I have to say that I'm extremely happy that my local bar carriers this for only $4/pint during Happy Hour 2pm-8pm.

Pours: gold/yellow with a nice thick head that quickly dispersed

Aroma: sweet fruit, pine, citrus and hoppy smell

Taste: exceptional Hops explode all over your taste buds with a tint of pine and citrus.

Mouthfeel: medium, naturally sweet

Drinkability: the aftertaste leaves you wanting more and before you know your glass will be empty

4.72/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Bronze with a white head, thin ring of retention, good lacing.

S: HUGE hop nose, plenty of pine, citrus & rind, toffee, candied fruit.

T: Hops are bold, with plenty of resiny pine, citrus rind, candied pineapple, slight toffee sweetness is overpowered by the assertive bitterness.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body has a drying finish.

D: Hops are a little harsh, but it's not too sweet & the alcohol is subtle. The way a DIPA should be?

4.12/5  rDev -10.4%

Thank you to my college roommate for picking this up for me in LA. This is my first PtE so obviously I was going to chug it and call it a day but I changed my mind at the last minute.

Color is unbelievably clear golden yellow with a frothy off white head. Random bubbles float up from the middle periodically.

Aroma is very rich and a diverse range of the hop spectrum. First a piney cascade, then an earthy centennial, and finishes with a more juicy hop aroma that I always like in IPAs.

Medium assertive bitterness starts the taste out. Nice balance of crystal malt to hop flavor. The end of the crystal malt taste is sharply cut off by the hops, but it's a double IPA so it's ok. It still finishes watery in terms of malt but there's a solid 45 seconds of hop flavor that lingers on your tongue. Not a lot of grapefruit, which I found surprising. Pine, earth, slight juice- but less than in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is ok.. a little to viscous for me and good carbonation but I think the "smoothness" is a matter of taste. It bothers me in a lot of Saranac's beers but in this case it doesn't take away from the flavor.

After drinking a bottle of this the only thing that reduces the drinkability is that damn earthy bitterness that just sort of makes you feel like you've been eating hop cones straight.

I think this beer basically boils down to the earthy bitterness and overall pine flavor that surrounds it. To be honest, I can't see why this is so hyped. Maybe it's a west coast thing. It's a very good beer, absolutely. Probably one of the best DIPAs I've had. In the end, however, even as I try to distance myself from the hype surrounding this beer (especially since I don't get to try many hyped beers), this is not one of the beers that gets under my skin and makes me love beer. But it is a damn fine one.

4.53/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The excitement is building like a huge wave as I await the opening of this bottle. Thankfully the time has come for the meeting of this epic beer and my tastebuds.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a fairly clear golden yellow with an enormus bone white head. The head itself looks like a vanilla milkshake. After some serious waiting the head has slowly receded and left some of the thickest sticky lace around the top of my glass.

The aroma is pure heaven. Pure floral hops. Pungent pine sap and bitter grapefruit yet it has a pleasant sweetness that seems to reign in the overpowering hop pressence. Usually the hop bombs tend to just have the whole pine needles air about them but, not this one.

The first sip is everything I hoped it would be. It's so perfectly balanced. Hop bitterness followed my smooth malt backbone. The hops seem to stomp all over your tongue then the malt comes in almost insantly and gives your tastebuds a hug and smoothes things over. The DIPA's I've experianced in the past tended to lean one way or the other never finding the absolute perfect mix. The Elder gives you just that.

Medium body with plenty of carbonation. The Elder isn't sticky like some hop bombs. It just washes down pure.

Overall the top DIPA of everything I've tried so far. I'm glad I was able to obtain a few fresh bottles so I can enjoy this beer more then once. Some day I hope to get to the area so I can try on tap. All acolades are well deserved for this one.

4.92/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to BevmoIan for sending me two very fresh bottles of this! Thanks Ian!

500 ml bottle dated 9/22/09 consumed all the way out here in Minnesota. Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours an orange-straw yellow. Large slightly off white chunky head produced, with decent retention. Leaves some dotted lacing around the tulip glass.

The nose is a huge whiff of floral and fruity hops, grapefruit, pineapple and mango to name a few. Just excellent, very inviting and even my girlfriend who is far from fond of IPA's found this very enjoyable.

The taste is spot on. Dank and moist floral hop juices just dance all over your mouth. Lemons and grapefruits, mellon and pineapple. Excellent combination of hops, just great tasting stuff. Even a non craft beer lover could enjoy this.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a nice lingering bitter aftertaste. Appropriately low carbonation.

Drinkability is through the roof, this is some great tasting stuff, and it goes down too easy.

Overall, all I can say is I wish I had regular access to this beer. Just awesome stuff. In all honesty, probably not my favorite IPA, but Top 3 for sure. Excellent stuff. I'll be moving to the West Coast after I graduate, thats for sure.

4.35/5  rDev -5.4%

From notes. Clear, copper, active, thick foamy head lasts and lasts, patchy lacing. SMELL is piny, citrus, floral and sweet. Complex, and with long legs and a hint of heat. TASTE floral and citrusy hops first, malty sweetness emerges and balances, followed by sharp citrusy hops and bitterness, which fades into the finish and then lingers a bit. FEEL pleasant medium bodied texture, slight lingering bitterness. OVERALL very flavorful, not too filling, well hidden alc. But still a sipper.

Sampled from a 500ml bottle. Bottled on date was 9/22/09 so it's nice and fresh.

A - A pale golden color with good clarity and a moderate white head. Great lacing.

S - A very floral and fruity hop aroma with pineapple, mango and grapefruit. They really know how to keep that aroma fresh. It's just like opening a packet of hop plugs.

T - A very complex citrusy hop flavor with a reasonable malt backbone and a mild alcohol presence. It's basically liquid hops in a bottle.

M - A smooth and silky consistency with a low carbonation. It lets the flavor run wild and coats your mouth on the way down.

D - This is a flavorful beer but it's still very easy to drink. I've enjoyed many, many Plinys in the last year and the love has only grown. If I had to pick one beer for life, it would likely be this one.

A masterpiece of a beer. It poured a tawny copper color with a nice fluffy white head. Hopalicious aroma. A distinct pine and grapefruit aroma. The taste has a decidedly balanced flavor for such a hop monster. Nice breadiness compliments the grapefruit flavor from the hops. A nice medium body with average carbonation. The absoulte most drinkable IIPA in existence and one of the ONLY beers that ever has lived up to the hype.

4.92/5  rDev +7%

A- Fantastic. Perfect golden colorings. Extremely appetizing. A frothy white head radiating hop aroma.

S- Hops, a whole lot of them. Floral notes, very inviting.

T- Amazing, perhaps the best IPA I have tried. Complex bitter hop notes that leave you in ecstasy even after you've put down the glass.

M- Medium bodied. You're definitely made aware of the hop oils as you work your way through it, but overall very positive.

D- As mentioned before, this is a fantastic IPA, perhaps the best on the market. Would drink this beer every day if I could.

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%

wow...i get to live 20 mins away from sitting at the russian river bar. cant take that for granted

-appearance might be the most crazy...which is crazy considering everything else. amber in color with the craziest head/carb/lacing. lacing coats the entire glass, head the entire time, carb bubs the entire time

-good piney, grapefruity nose. the smell is there throughout the whole drink

-stupidly good. piney and grapefruity again. not as much bitterness as you would think with the huge hops taste. very balanced and legit

-no carb bite despite all the carb bubbles. fresh, clean...damn

-best 2 IPA out there as far as i know. this beer doesnt seem fair and i was thinking coming in that it couldnt be thaat good, but it is

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

500mL bottle received from saulcharlesworth. Bottled date is 8/31/2009 so decently fresh considering we're in Kansas...

Appearance: This beer pours the clearest yellow, orangish amber that I've ever seen. The head is about two fingers, bright white, and interspersed with both large and small bubbles. The top is soft and billowy, and the head has amazing retention with more lacing than I ever thought possible from a beer.

Smell: The hop presence in this beer is incredible. The hops smell almost as fresh as barrels of hops at the brewery itself. Tons of pine, citrus, and pineapple scents. And a malty sweetness that's pretty much untouched as far as these nostril are concerned.

Taste: This is a hoppy mothertrucker! My fiancé compared this beer to drinking a grapefruit. Not just the juice, but the entire fruit, rind and all! I love the hoppiness of this monster. The zest from the citrus combined with the bitterness from the juniper flavors creates an interesting sensation on my tongue. The end is all malty sweetness, twinged slightly with a hop bitterness that just won't die.

Mouthfeel: This beer is smooth, clean, sticky, and gooey, all at the same time. All of these sensations are so well done though. None is overdone. This beer creates a party in my mouth, and I wish it brought friends.

Drinkability: This beer definitely lived up to the hype, in my humble opinion. Its sub-$5 price point makes this beer a steal (if only we could get it out here)! The 8% ABV is well-hidden, but then again, most everything is well done with this beer. After tasting this brew, one gets the impression that nothing was accidental with this beer. I, for one, am thankful that Russian River and Saul gave me the opportunity to try this beer. Thanks guys!

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle from a trade with GilGarp. Thanks!! I've been fortunate enough to have this awesome beer several times, the freshest being a 7 day old bottle I had in Seattle. This beer is best when experienced in the first 3 weeks and goes SIGNIFICANTLY downhill at week 5+. Keep that in mind if you're trading for it!!

Appearance: This beer pours deep golden color with a touch of orange. Poured into my Stone Levitation tulip, a two finger head dissipates into nice lacing and a ring that sticks around.

Smell: Smells like a hop field at harvest time in the hot sun. Floral and tropical with nice citrus too. An incredible nose - only Hopslam does it better IMO.

Taste: Amazing hoppy bliss. Tickles my tongue and refreshes without compromising anything on taste. WOW. This is just world class in every way! A crisp light malt bill provides just enough sweetness to compliment the pineapple hop flavor. This is to die for!!

Mouthfeel: Silky and sexy, just enough bubbles to make it dance in your mouth. Slick and resinous without over-doing it on the oily feel.

Drinkability: Could crush this all day. One begs to be followed with another. - difficult to do when you're in OHIO, but this is easily the most drinkable top 50 beer out there IMO. It's sooo good - must trade for more soon!!

Poured it from a bottle, dated on 9/22/09, so that is hella fresh. I just had a Sculpin before this, so not only will I be able to review a beer I have loved for over a year, I can also compare the two.

A - I love the look of Elder. It is light, clear, and has a very white bubbly head that laces amazingly. This is how I want my DIPA's to look, Pliny is the standard in my eyes.

S - Oh hoppy goodness. Very strong citrus and pine smell. The hops in this beer smell are so inviting.

T - Oh boy, this beer is one I cannot get enough of due to the amazing taste. This beer is hoppy, sweet, piney, PLINY!. The beer starts bitter, goes into sweet, hits roast for some reason (yet I love it), and finishes malty with the citrus explosion.

M - sticky, smooth, carbonated. The mouthfeel is all over the place in a good way. The hop bite and roast stays around, but in a very pleasant way I just love.

D - This beer is damn drinkable. The 8% is very well hidden, the taste and mouthfeel leave you wanting more Pliny. I love this beer and will drink it whenever I need my hop fix. Having had my freshest bottle yet, tonight the Pliny has been my best one ever.

I liked the Sculpin I had before this, but Pliny is still ahead of it in my opinion for IPA/DIPA. I believe Pliny is the standard for a West Coast DIPA. It very well deserves the title in my eyes.

4.52/5  rDev -1.7%

Served to me on tap in a 10oz snifter at the Craft Ale House in Limerick soon after their Grand Opening. What a line-up they had this day!

Appearance: Pretty light in color. I've seen pale ale's darker in color. Nice white fluffy head that stuck around for a while before dissipating to a good looking rim around the top of beer, leaving lacing down the side after every sip.

Smell: This is where, in my opinion, this beer separates itself from the rest. A magical, resiny hop aroma of pine, citrus, floral notes and even some tropical fruits. I would pay $5 a snifter just the smell it for an hour. So many hops in the aroma, with a sweet hint of malt backbone.

Taste: Not overwhelming. Not a malicious onslaught of hops that you might have expected from the nose. Not an overly biting hop presence, more of wool coat of hops that wrap your tongue in delicious floral flavors and pine.

Mouthfeel: The resinous, oily feel of the hops stick to your tongue and inside of your mouth and stick around for quite some time. Not overly bitter, just a nice carbonation feel on the tongue while you sip and swallow.

Drinkability: I had four of these while I was there, to get my fresh Pliny fix. This is a very easy drinking DIPA.

Is it worth the hype? Yea, probably most of the hype. I've had other DIPA's and regular IPA's that I've enjoyed more, that are cheaper, but I would certainly never turn down a Pliny.

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

'Pliny the Elder' (maybe I should have majored in philosophy!) One of three bottles I muled back from a recent trip to California. Had a great time at the Brewery and in the Bay area. Definitely worth a trip!

A=Pours clear and golden. Color almost seems to light for what it is! Initial head is very nice and leaves a thin lacing on the glass.
S=Perhaps my favorite part of this excellent beer. It has such a deep pine aroma coupled with notes of citrus. I could thrive off of the aromatics alone!
M=Just right. Good solid weight without being to light or cloying.
T=The smell of the beer travels with the initial sip. Pine and prickly needles on the sides of the tongue give way to a strong malt-balanced hoppiness. The equilibrium this beer achieves is fantastic.
D=It would be wonderful to have this everyday, but then I probably wouldn't like it as much as I do!

What an excellent piece of work. Glad I got to have this in a bottle and on draft at the brewpub. I can think of no better way to conclude a day that ends in 'y'. Maybe one day this'll make to Virginia. Until then, its California dreamin'.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%

A-- Appearance is orange and clear, pouring with a nice sized head of soapy foam, which dissipates leaving nice lace along the glass.

S-- HOPS, HOPS, HOPS. Hits the nostrils like a sledge hammer with a down pillows duct tapped to it with an enthralling freshness. Best smelling beer I've had.

T-- Loads of citrus, apple, pear, and floral aroma, but i couldn't get over the smell, so HOPS!!! of course.

M-- Smoove. Nough Said.

D-- A true pleasure to drink. If it were as pricey as it is, i would drink a trough of it. Extremely drinkable even at 8.0% abv.

4.39/5  rDev -4.6%

Pliny the Elder is mildly hazy and copper in color. It's topped by a creamy, off-white head that retains well and leaves fluffy lace clinging to the glass. The aroma can be summed up in two words "intensly hoppy". The hops are herbal, piney and strongly resiny. Swirling the beer brings out even more resiny hops. There are fruity notes of apricots and oranges, malty sweetness, and toastiness that comes out on swirling. It's like sticking your nose into a bag of hops.

Overall this beer is pretty balanced. It's not overly sweet like a lot of other DIPAs. The intial malt impressions are toasty and bready with only a mild sweetness. Malts move towards a sweeter, caramel flavor in the center, but still not overly sweet. Hop flavors also make themselves known towards the center. There's a citric bite with a floral, orange blossom quality. Towards the finish there's a mild peppery bite with a good slighty herbal, strongly resiny hop bitterness in the finish that lingers long into the aftertaste. Pliny the Elder is medium-bodied, and has a prickly carbonation that cuts the sweetness somewhat. There's an oiliness towards the swallow that trails off leaving a final impression of thinness.

This DIPA is very balanced. The malts are present, but aren't cloyingly sweet like other examples of the style. The hops are present, but their main contribution is a nice finishing flavor and wonderful lingering bitterness.

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance is copper-orange and spectacularly clear, pouring with a nice sized head of soapy foam, which dissipates leaving nice lace along the glass.

Wow, what a nose! One of the best noses on a beer I've smelled, offering huge nose-fulls of powerful, resiny, fresh hops. Hop smells range from pine, to floral to ripe citrus. Excellent.

Once I finally pulled my nose away from the beer and actually began to drink it, I was startled by how mild this beer starts out. I was prepared to have little hop devils pitch-fork my tongue into submission, but that is not at all what happened. Instead, the hops gradually wash over your mouth, filling it with wonderful floral hop tastes that eventually become quite resiny. Pliny finishes very well too, with the hop aroma lingering in your mouth without becoming bitter. The finish of this beer is world-class.

Mouth feel is good for such a hoppy beer, as Pliny always feels good on the tongue. All this combines to make it one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've come across.

If I've has a better IPA before, I can't remember when.

4.92/5  rDev +7%

500ml bottle, hand-delivered from San Francisco to Chicago by my cousin. The beer I'm reviewing is the last one of the 10 he brought.

A: Bubbly, slightly hazy golden/copper/amber color. solid 2 finger white head, decent retention. lacing dangling the full length of the glass as I drink.

S: Hops, hops and more hops, with pine and hints of floral and some citrus. I seem to get a little something different with each sniff. I can't quite seem to distinguish the specific citrus smells. A bit of malt introduces itself as Pliny warms.

T: this baby tastes almost exactly like it smells- big hops with varying hints of pine and citrus- some moreso than others. just enough malt to balance the hops.

M: Not enough O's in smooove to describe this one. Perfectly carbonated. Moves swiftly to the back of the tongue with an orangey flavor that whips back up toward the front of your mouth. Hop bitterness lingers perfectly throughout.

D: Absolutely cannot get enough of Pliny. Unquestionably one of my top 5 favorite beers, if not my favorite. As much as I'm enjoying this beer, I'm sad that it's the last one. Even knowing that, it's hard to take it slow with this beer- it goes down so smooth it's gone before you know it. I either need to take a trip to CA, ask my cousin to come visit again, or start trading. Actually, all three sound like good options.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

Dated 9/10/09 only 15 days old. Poured into a 22 oz snifter.

Very nice appearance, dark golden body with a thick bubbly head that leaves a nice level of lacing on the snifter.

The smell isn't overwhelming, nice citrus and pine scents. Almost all hops in the nose. From the smell you can definitely tell you are getting a DIPA.

The taste is of hops, lots of hops. Citrus, grapefruit and pine, emphasis on pine. Bitterness at first with slight malt detectable in the finish. Nice crisp taste, lots of pine hops, but not too bitter.

Great mouthfeel, bitter hop bite with medium-high carbonation, yummy. This beer feels absolutely delightful on the tongue

The drinkability is good, as good as a DIPA could be. I could drink this all day long.

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Tyler for bringing this one back from California.

A: The beer pours deep golden, almost amber with a finger-thick white head. Great lacing and excellent head retention. Carbonation is subtle.

S: Even opening the bottle releases a swath of hop aroma. In the glass, notes of grapefruit, pineapple, and wildflowers overwhelm the nose. A faintly sweet malt character lingers in the backround.

T: Pure hop bliss! Floral and citrusy, resinous hops dance around the palate with grapefruit, fresh flowers, and pineapple. The finish is crisp and dry, and lasts for what seems like minutes.

M: Medium bodied and very clean. This beer is like liquid silk on the palate.

D: Very easy to drink. Alcohol is hardly noticeable. This is simply the best DIPA I have ever tasted. I just wish I had some more.

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

I will be aborting the standard format for this review. If you want specifics, there are no shortage of reviews on this very site. Suffice it to say, this beer has made my Top 5 list and I feel blessed for having been able to imbibe such a nectar.

If you happen to run across a bottle of fresh Pliny the Elder, grab it and run (do not walk) to the register. The citrus nose, the tangy hop blast, the slick feel...Curse the sky for this not being distributed in Texas!!!

Seriously, though, this is a world-class beer.

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%

500 ml bottle poured into an oversized wine glass

A-- Golden as the sun itself. Over 2 fingers of head poofed like the mane of a lion.

S-- Aromatic wall of light hops and citrus hits the nostrils with an enthralling freshness. I was drooling before the brew kissed my lips.

T-- Can't be accurately described. Reminds me of the sun coming up over San Diego with a dancing hoppiness about it. The citrus makes it taste remarkably fresh, and the hops bring the taste together.

M-- Mouth is attacked by a light smoothness, then consoled by a comfortable and enjoyable coating of hop-enduced oiliness.

D-- The most drinkable IPA I've ever had the pleasure of DOWNING. I couldn't help but drink it faster than Paul Revere's steed.

4.77/5  rDev +3.7%

Had my first bottle of this stuff about a year ago at Stone Brewery. That day changed my life, I like to think. Not quite sure why I've been holding off on reviewing this one. I suppose I never thought I could do it any justice.

Today on tap at FO, though, I had another incredible experience with the beer. It must've been ridiculously fresh. I couldn't get enough. Pours a light gold with a great 1/2 inch pillowy white head that retains well but eventually dissipates to form a cover over the beer. Lacing is nicce. It's a look I'm quite familiar with. Pavlov's dog when this gets poured....

Smells of incredibly ripe fruits- apples, pears, oranges, citrus notes even--coupled with a great floral aroma. This one smells HOPPY. brilliantly so.

It tastes even better. That's all there is to say about that.

Mouthfeel is light, almost, for a DIPA. Clean. Crisp. A great beer. Super drinkable for the style. This one keeps me coming back for more.

Drink Pliny every chance you get. Cheers.

4.12/5  rDev -10.4%

500 ml bottle poured into an oversized wine glass

A-- Yellowish gold color with a huge puffy white head. Got almost 2 fingers of head. Left some very nice lacing on the glass.

S--Hops and citrus. Lemon seems prevelant. Very well balanced with the 2.

T-- Feel like I am eating cotton! Lots of hops mixed in with lemon. Taste really grows on you after a bit. Once again well balanced.

M-- Get the cotton lining in my mouth from the hops and a little bit of sweetness with a bit of lemon. Same as before it grows on you the more you drink it.

D-- My first Pliny and I admit I am not a DIPA fan but this is a good beer and drinkable. Like how well balanced it is on the hops and the citrus. Could easily drink 2 of these and be happy.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company