Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

#16

Ratings: 14,560 |  Reviews: 3,706

A-Golden yellow color, white head with gracious lacing
S-Hop dankness, herbal, grassy notes. I also get a very musty aroma, similar to that of winemaking
M-Subtle carbonation that cleanses the palate with a sweetness.
T-Sweet undertone and a clean bitter finish.
O-Great beer. To be honest, and I am sorry for even writing this as I cringe at the beer snobbery, but this ain't got nothin on Heady. Sorry, my east coast roots, love a good west coast IPA, but Heady Topper is still carved our in my heart. Thank you Russian River for making the journey worthwhile of the beer that followed it. I highly recommend.

4.59/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.86/5  rDev +4.5%

4.36/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap at Beechwood BBQ. Lots of hype for Pliny. Got citrus, roasty, spruce. Excellent!

4.87/5  rDev +4.7%

such a delicious beer, 10/10
i could drown in a tub of this beer and die happy.

4.37/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Oh, Pliny.... Where do I start? I first had you when I was just getting into craft beer and I totally fell victim to the hype. While you are not a bad beer by any means, in fact, I would drink you far more often if the craft beer hipsters did not hoard you and if bottle shops would not gouge your price and/or hide you 'in the back'.

Pliny is probably the most balanced DIPA I've ever had. Drinks incredibly smooth for an 8% IPA. You get your nice hop aromas/flavor while being perfectly complimented by the malt profile. For me it is almost West Coast IPA meets East Coast IPA. Personally, I prefer the West Coast 'hop bombs', but I definitely think this is a beer that would please most.

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

4.96/5  rDev +6.7%

Phenomenal, just wish it wasn't so difficult to find.

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Bottled 2/4/15. Poured into a 6 ounce stemless wine glass. Vigin-white-bridesmaid-dress head forms on top of an a.a.milne-Winnie-the-poo-colored honey base. The lace transcribed into Wachowski-bros-Matrix-title-sequence-like movement frozen into a Pangea by a Zack Morris timeout. The smell is starfruit and pomegranate mixed with a freshly opened pack of Upper Deck baseball cards. A perfect West Coast hop/malt balance that rolls over the tongue; can only be described as sitting in the back car of a rollercoaster being whiplashed over the apex, with a new year's champagne/light almond oil finish. Overall, it's the equivalent of hugging my dog after a bad day at work.

4.9/5  rDev +5.4%

What more us there to say.... One of the best!!

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Golden appearance, fruit and pine on the nose. Tropical fruit and grapefruit give way to bitter pine.

This is my favorite beer and I would drink it every week if I could. Just amazing.

4.87/5  rDev +4.7%

4.46/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.17/5  rDev -10.3%

Tasty, but not as smooth and flavorful as Blind Pig and underwhelming (only because of the astronomically high expectations.)

4.99/5  rDev +7.3%

4.39/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle received in a recent trade, dated 1/28/15. Poured into snifter. Nice nose on this one, poured to a one finger head that laced well. Expectations were through the roof, and though I really enjoyed the beer (I have to admit I was expecting a "5" here), it wasn't quite everything I hoped for. That being said and to no one's surprise, it was a terrific IPA. Smooth and pretty delicious. Just not the best beer I've ever had.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company