Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Reviews: 3,602 | Ratings: 13,867
4.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to MadDawg for sharing. Awesome DIPA of course. Wish it was readily available, but happy to have it. Juicy as all hell and just a near perfect beer

4.07/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a bright honey, the head and lacing are strong and linger.

Sweet honey and a bitter forest.

The balance here is fresh overpowering lively piney hops with a touch of sweetness. Bitter and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is bright which only adds to the abrasion of this beer. Lots of resin. ABV tastes around 8.5.

A legend and the definition of a benchmark. RR should be proud of their consistency.

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pliny is definitely one of my all time favorites and worth the considerable effort required to procure. After two years of regular consumption I have found it to be a bit sweet for my changing taste buds, but compared to off- the-shelf doubles, it still reigns superior.

A: Golden with a thick creamy head

S: Citrus and pine

T: Sweet and smooth

M: excellent, slightly thick and a bit of lingering sweetness on the finish

Overall, one of my favorite beers but I would highly urge any IPA lover to try Blind Pig at the RR brewery.

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I feel bad as this was bottled 6 months ago, but I was just given this now. So it's as fresh as I can possibly get it, since we don't get it in my area.

The pour is magnificent with mango-apricot glows highlighted by pale edges as its light struck. Slight haze, 10% opacity. Head is huge, 3 fingers, and develops a reverse bowl in the middle.

Aroma is...holy smokes. Perfect combination of pine and fruits. Uhhhh...mazing? It's got herbal notes, spicy notes, as well as the trademark freshly peeled orange, cored pineapple, and pine needles. Touches of raw avocado, sushi style. As the head recedes, onion and dank resins come out that slightly distort the pure aromas here.

Taste? Wow. Pliny is neither overwhelming nor plain. I was expecting a palate buster but that's not the case. It scrubs the tongue slightly with a bit of oils and resins, but for the most part it stays very tropical with a hefty dose of malty biscuit notes. Mango, papaya, melon, cantaloupe, orange, pineapple...then the resins come in to dirty it up just a touch. Finish is dirty pine, dried mango, and hop resins.

Feel is thick, juicy, and enough carbonation to let it slide down easily and make it pleasurable.

Pliny is one HELL of a beer. It's no wonder it scores a 100 out of 100 on BA. It's a fine choice and makes it easy for me to finish the whole thing. Might as well say it - the best DIPA on the planet.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

After all the talk and series of beer trades, finally got my hands on this. Dated 2-12-16, almost 2 months old. Hoping this doesn't affect the quality knowing fresh fresh is always way better. But took my chances anyway.

Pour is an almost-opaque golden/copper. Pretty clear without much haze to it. Foamy, two finger thick head that doesn't dissipate very quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell is more citrus and pine foward than anything. Almost an earthy and grassy smell. Very slight tropical flavors, some mango and pineapple. But the fruitiness is very subtle. Pine tree bark and citrus pretty much dominates.

Taste is simple and effective. Very easily drinkable for a double IPA. No taste of alcohol, just the perfect balance of the sweetness, malts, and hops. Quite possibly the most balanced IPA I've ever had. But is that a good thing? Depends on what you're looking for. Because nothing with Pliny really "stood out" as far as flavors go. Moderately piney, moderately tropical, nothing expiremental. But maybe that's a good thing.

Overall, very well balanced and nothing over the top. Maybe I'm too spoiled by these big hoppy malty DIPA's. Or too spoiled by these NE-style juice bombs. But this is just right and in between of the two. I guess this is why it's so highly rated. Nothing expiremental but nothing too complex. Just right.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a thick white foamy head. There is quite a bit of a soapy lacing. The odor for me is pine, grapefruit, resin, orange, lemon, herbal, some tropical fruit, floral. The taste for me is pine, lemon, resin, grassy, bread, grapefruit, slight orange, some bitterness.

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Trying Pliny for the second time, out of a bottle. Big fruity aroma. Orange, pine,pineapple, and flowers. Taste is very bright with mango and other tropical fruits and pine balanced out by some earthy malt. Super flavorful. Moderate bitterness closes things off, along with some alcohol. This is a really wonderful IPA, very bright and drinkable. The 8% ABV is well hidden. Complex, tasty, and delicious.

4.98/5  rDev +8.3%

The mothership of DIPAs. Brings instant jealousy. The standard for a west coast IPA. Drank from a snifter.

Looks like a bright orange to copper clear beer. Medium, head with even lacing.

Smells like citrus and pine. That's what it is supposed to smell like.

Tastes incredible. Super hoppy, pine, citrus and incredibly balanced.

Feels like a mouth of pine and citrus, with a touch of perfect bitterness. It's not for hop newbies.

Overall it's the standard for DIPAs. My favorite double on the market. It's worth every hype and accolade it receives.

4.77/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Well-balanced. Nice little bite of hops on initial quaffing. Solid mouth feel and lingering taste.

Think it's a little bit overhyped, but fantastic DIPA nonetheless.

4.56/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a clear light amber color with a thick foamy head. Head retention is decent as is lacing. The aroma is just awesome. Big, big juicy orange citrus and hoppy resin. Big juicy citrus taste, strong piney resin. Everything you would hope for in an IPA. It is very astringent at the end though. Soapy aftertaste. LIght bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks more like a regular IPA and not a DIPA, though. Been wanting to try this one for a long, long time. Parents went to Napa and shipped a couple of bottles back.

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Ahhhh finally. I don't want to sound like a hype beast but this beer was so delicious. Got it on tap at Toronado here in San Diego and felt like I was in heaven. Aroma was dank and piney with a hint of grapefruit. Taste was so balanced with hops and malts. Definitely crossed this off my bucket list

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle from 2/19 and poured 3/22. Given to me unexpectedly from Tony -- as if you haven't seen it enough, thanks a ton! Obviously been high on my wants list since I started drinking craft beer. This is a big thing for me.

Appearance: Beautiful, clear, light amber color. There's a bright white head that dies down and leaves a shallow head on top with quite a bit of lacing. Plenty of carbonation coming from the laser etching at the bottom of my glass... seriously good looking IPA.

Smell: A little juicy, but very piney and resinous. Nice sweet malt. Very "clean" on the nose. It doesn't show its alcohol at all. Really enjoying the pineapple and mango aromas as it opens up/warms up a bit.

Taste/feel: In terms of a DIPA, I think it falls short of the best ones I've had only because it's a bit thin and light tasting -- but at the same time, that's what impresses me about this beer. At 8%, it drinks like 6% -- no alcohol, light yet intense flavor, and all-in-all delicious. This is such a stupidly well-balanced beer. There's a bitterness on the end that lingers a bit with a pine flavor, but I love it: it has me constantly coming back for more. The feel, as I alluded to, is a bit light. It drinks a bit more like a regular IPA, as it doesn't have a full feel... yet it doesn't bother me. It impresses me. The carbonation is perfect

I'm really trying to rate this as objectively as possible -- it's tough because my expectations have always been so high for this beer. I will say that it is absolutely fantastic, but that it's not a total one-of-a-kind beer that needs to be traded for at all costs. The chances are, if you've had one of the many world-class DIPAs out there, you've tasted something similar to this.

Without a doubt though, find this beer. There's so much history with it. Not only that, the balance is perfect for the style (leaning a bit towards more bitter, which I love), and it's so -- I know it's vague -- pure tasting that it's something every beer connoisseur ought to experience.

4.02/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pliny of the "big" double IPA's did not win in a blind taste test. I am definitely more biased to east coast doubles but even in the blind test it didn't take me away. I still saw blind big is one of the best beers I've ever had. Younger was way better than this as well, the hops weren't as dominant as I like, but maybe that's a good thing for a double IPA.

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Crystal clear orange body with a very small white head with very little retention. Leaves behind lacing around the edge with a see-through film across the center. Little streams of bubbles continue to rise throughout the whole experience.

S: A ton of citrus hops with mangos, oranges, malt and a bright pine finish. Lots of sweet aromas that are tempered slightly by the hops and malt.

T: A lot more hops and malt, especially upfront. Soft citrus and orange follows with a small twinge of bitterness that isn't overpowering and lingers nicely. Perfect balance of flavors!

F: Medium body, but very light finish due to the carbonation. Very drinkable and compliments the taste very nicely.

O: I couldn't be happier with the flavor balancing. Very sweet on the nose, but doesn't negatively affect the flavor and helps keep the bitterness under control without squashing it. Definitely lives up to the hype if you don't want/expect a bomb of hops.

4.16/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 2-19-16

A - Poured hard into a snifter. Hazy pulpless orange juice looking with a very soapy looking frothy white one finger head.

S - tons of citrus, very tropical. Pretty sure this was fermented from a can of concentrate banana-orange-mango juice my poor family bought from the dollar store growing up.

T - extremely subdued and not what I was expecting. Very clean/crisp/bright but also much sweeter than I expected. Zero alcohol. Very good, extremely drinkable.

M - High carbonation but thin. Drinks like a light beer.

O - I have no complaints with this beer really. It's well rounded and very good. But there's nothing "WOW HOLY SHIT" about it. If this beer is a 100 then it's a 100/115.

4.56/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

510 ml into tulip. 1/25/16

First time drinking.

L. Golden orange with a touch of haze. 1 finger head with nice sticky lacing.
S. Lovely mix of malts and hops. Lots of tropical fruits such as mango and orange mix with a touch of pine and sweetness.
T. Balance is near perfect. For 8% I don't receive a touch of alcohol. A nice blast of hops up front leads to a sweet and smooth with a bit of a pine bite on the finish.
F. I'd say it's just on the the lighter side of medium mouthfeel with average carbonation.

4.46/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ok so I feel comfortable rating this now as I've had a few at different times. Great beer and would drink it any day. However, it seems like a thing of the past. Personally prefer Heady, SOS, Green, Julius, Haze, and Hoof Hearted IPA's. Not to mention some others as well. Fantastic beer and legendary, just not up to par with what's happening now IMHO.

4.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at a bar. Had good hoppy bitterness that fades smooth. Good citrus smell. Pine, bit of booze but not overpowering. Great mouthfeel. Overall a great beer. Compares with heady topper and some of the tree house beers out east.

4.2/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not a West Coast IPA fan but this is the pinnacle of that particular style.

Looks are a 5. Clear, beautiful pale golden malt.
Smell is my only complaint. Beyond the Douglas fir and grapefruit pith, I can smell that 8%. Not cool.
Taste is subjective. Like I said, this is the pinnacle of its style. I just happen to not care for it.
The feel is a winner. Carbonation and body are on point.

Out of a 510ml bottle into Riedel Burgundy glass. Bottle stamped 2/12/16.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding beer! One of those beers where each sip is high quality, from the smell at the beginning to the hop and malt in the middle to the complex flavors at the finish.

4.13/5  rDev -10.2%

On tap and out of the bottle. Well balanced with no overpowering bitterness and some piney flavor. Blind Pig hits the spot better and has more hop flavor. There are better dipas out there.

4.54/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass, nice 3 finger tanish cream head, outstanding lacing. Clear golden look withe the head that last. Smells like a big citrus bomb and the taste delivers. Nice residual sweetness at the end. Only beer on my radar for my Napa trip.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

Had an opportunity to get 3 of these bottles via a trade. I am not an IPA first and foremost but if you were to give me an unlabeled bottle of Pliny, I would tell you without a doubt that is one of the best IPAs that I have ever had. Bottled on 2/19/2016 this brew almost resembled liquid gold from its looks, the smells, oh my the smells, piney, with a hint of citrus as if I ran into a forest of freshness, and the same with taste followed with the ever present IPA bitterness BUT did not take away from the flavor profile at all. I'm glad to have had this brew.

4.44/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh man this is good IPA. Very rich flavor. Maybe someday I'll have a better IPA then the Ballast Point grapefruit Sculpin, or the Russian River Brewery Pliny the Elder Double IPA. I would put Odell Mercenary Double IPA just a touch below this, still great, world class. Maybe in blind taste test I would pick the Odell? I think perhaps the only IPA that is well known that I have not tasted and is better then this would be Heady Topper, and Pliny the Younger. Until that day this stuff and Ballast Points Grapefruit Sculpin are the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of imbibing. Cheers!

4.34/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottled dated 2/25/16 (9 days old) into a Hill Farmstead tulip glass.
A - Wonderful clarity, golden straw in color, meandering carbonation supports a thin white cap. Again wonderful clarity.
S - Tropical notes blend seamlessly with deciduous elements, Striking in complexity, sweet malts and a citrusy jam round out the nose.
T - The balance throws me off balance! Malt extraction is near perfect, the hop profile says expert craft on display.
M - Full n body, a bit slick on the palate, a sweet linger with just enough bitterness to close the deal.
O - There has been so much written and for good reason. This offering is to be treasured fresh as per directions on the label.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company