Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

#15

Ratings: 14,601 |  Reviews: 3,711

3.83/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Simply put, Pliny didn't meet the hype for me. I had it on a wonderful trip to SF at Toronado (great beer bar, btw), and just didn't love it. Give me a Fatheads HeadHunter over this any day of the week, please and thank you.

A: Good but categorical.

S: One great component.

T: Mehhhh... Average.

M: Good carbonation but nothing to write home about.

O: Average. Very, very average.

4.41/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I frequent total wine on Tuesdays and Thursdays to find this beer. In the past couple of months I managed to come home with more that a few. Including other russion river beers. The worst part is having to drink it, because then you don't have any left! At a 1 bottle limit I manged to have one of these babies every week for the past 5 weeks! I love it! Arguably the best!

3.5/5  rDev -24.7%

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Quite possibly the best beer I have ever tried and just stating that from the hype. Always try to get my hands on a bottle for special occasions: birthday, graduations, and holidays. I recommend this to everyone I know. Opened a few weeks old bottle and poured into a tulip and saw a great 1.5 finger head form with great retention. Giving it a nice whiff you get a great scent for pine and other citrus notes. I had high expectations about this beer and after tasting it I can honestly say that they were meet. Not bitter at all very smooth and goes down at a relatively quick rate which can be a problem since its about 8%. I think the best part of this beer is that the more you drink it the more you enjoy it. It is consistently good and stays at the top of my top beers. I can't find myself to get tired of this beer and once you taste it you will see why.

3.75/5  rDev -19.4%

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.46/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Clear gold with a 1 inch head that drops down to a bubbled lacing covering the top.

S- Very piny , citrus( slight grapefruit), small amount of grass/pineapple

T- Tons of pine and citrus right up front. Mostly pine, earthy, grass. Grapefruit, citrus.

M- medium - medium full body. medium carbonation. Clean feel.

O- Near perfectly balanced(if not perfect) DIPA. No flavor overwhelms the next. As good as it gets. If you want a perfected balanced IPA this is it.

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%