Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

#15

Ratings: 14,630 |  Reviews: 3,714
4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not going to lie...friends of mine hyped this beer up to be the second coming...I expected perfection. Although it was a VERY good beer, not worth the hype. I'd put a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed or a Stone Enjoy By up against PtE any day of the week. Would definitely buy this again but won't be so anxious for it to become available as I was the first time.

3.83/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Simply put, Pliny didn't meet the hype for me. I had it on a wonderful trip to SF at Toronado (great beer bar, btw), and just didn't love it. Give me a Fatheads HeadHunter over this any day of the week, please and thank you.

A: Good but categorical.

S: One great component.

T: Mehhhh... Average.

M: Good carbonation but nothing to write home about.

O: Average. Very, very average.

4.41/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I frequent total wine on Tuesdays and Thursdays to find this beer. In the past couple of months I managed to come home with more that a few. Including other russion river beers. The worst part is having to drink it, because then you don't have any left! At a 1 bottle limit I manged to have one of these babies every week for the past 5 weeks! I love it! Arguably the best!

3.5/5  rDev -24.7%

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Quite possibly the best beer I have ever tried and just stating that from the hype. Always try to get my hands on a bottle for special occasions: birthday, graduations, and holidays. I recommend this to everyone I know. Opened a few weeks old bottle and poured into a tulip and saw a great 1.5 finger head form with great retention. Giving it a nice whiff you get a great scent for pine and other citrus notes. I had high expectations about this beer and after tasting it I can honestly say that they were meet. Not bitter at all very smooth and goes down at a relatively quick rate which can be a problem since its about 8%. I think the best part of this beer is that the more you drink it the more you enjoy it. It is consistently good and stays at the top of my top beers. I can't find myself to get tired of this beer and once you taste it you will see why.

3.75/5  rDev -19.4%