Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,458 |  Reviews: 3,694

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Okay. I was so psyched to try Pliny the Elder I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I was on vacation and went to the Horse Brass Pub, which is freaking amazing, and promptly ordered a pint. It is a really, really good beer but I think the hype and wait got to me. I wasn't blown away but I think that may be my fault. It is super hoppy, not much malt just the way I like my IPA's. I think my expectations were just unreasonably. I have tried it since and I think it is one of the top 5 IPA's I have ever had.

4.86/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- nice bright golden color, half finger of white head

S- pine, citrus, grapefruit, dry orange peel, little malt sweetness

T- classic west coast DIPA, piney, floral, big grapefruit, citrus, and the great hop flavors are well balanced with a little malt sweetness hidding in the back, this one is also really bitter, which I love, if you're not a fan of bitter beers this will destroy you.

M- smooth, medium body, nicely carbonated very dry

O- overall a perfectly well crafted DIPA. Nice and bitter and dry with a huge hop presents, but is well balanced with a nice malt backbone. Great!

4.49/5  rDev -2.4%

The beer pours an oranging yellow with amber highlights, kind of like a sunrise… The beer forms a big, pillowy head of rocky white bubbles that are slightly off-white. The head lasts nicely, but does mellow down from its initial height to about a half-finger’s width. As the head dissipates, it leaves a nice sticky patchwork of lacing on the glass. In body the beer is crystal clear and clean, but does present a slight haze from the malt. On the nose, the beer smells of citrus and spicy pine. Floral and herbal notes dance around the edges of the nose but big citrus tangerine and grapefruit are the primary players in the beer. The nose is not blowing me away, but is just a very solid example of a hoppy beer dank pine and a touch of sweet caramel can also be sensed in the smell. As a whole, the smell tends to remind a little of a fresh pineapple blended with pine. On the tongue, the beer tastes surprisingly balanced. The bitters are big and coat the mouth, but there is a strong bready sweetness to add balance. Light stone fruit notes can be picked out in the hop character, as well. The finish sees the strongest bitter kick, which is a bit over powering and should feed any one’s bitter cravings. Acidity in the beer is light but bright on the sides of the cheeks. Again, this beer tastes like a classic DIPA. In flavor, the beer begins as sweet, candied citrus, expanding into fresh Florida oranges, with a touch of orange peel and rind. Grapefruit, pine needles, and pineapple dance in the back along with the malts superbly balanced sweet caramel bread, which helps to give the hops their candied quality. I wasn’t that taken with this beer on the initial sip, but that was foolish of me. Pliny is a subtle beast, building simple complexity from its hops, and making each sip different. Soft boozy heat can be felt in the back of the throat, but that is just another part of the complexity of this beer. This flavor is one I could sip all night. In the mouth, Pliny feels surprisingly on the light side of medium in body, with a fluffy carbonation that pillows the tongue nicely. Mouthfeel is slick, and crisp, making the beer dangerously easy to drink. Slight astringency can be felt as the beer moves across the tongue leaving the mouth only softly tingling with bitters. Saliva does gently pool in the cheeks, but overall the mouth is left rather clean and ready for further sips. Overall, this beer is a whale worthy of whaling after. Beautiful complexity and subtly make this a beer I could drink several of, which is dangerous for its ABV bracket. Where many of the modern DIPA’s slam you in the face with juicy hop character, Pliny is subtle and perfectly balanced. This will please the hop heads and even those that are skeptical to hops. My mother, a diehard stout fan, but “pale and hoppy beer” hater, actually loved this when I brought one over last night. My only complaint is that the nose is mild compared to some DIPA’s, but to be fair to Pliny, its recipe was developed before the designers of those other DIPA’s even knew they liked hops. Pliny the Elder is a pleasure to drink. I can’t wait to get my hands on more Russian River beers.

3.89/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle. Pours liquid gold with light head. Aroma is citrus and pine, some tropical fruit. Taste is tart apple, bright hop, resin. So well balanced (did that need to be said?). Short, clean finish. This is an amazing beer. Need to try the Younger for comparison.

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

4.83/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Full of pine and tropical fruits this beer captures the essence of what a American west coast DIPA is all about! One of my favorites!

Mouth feel is soft and balanced with the creation of malt and hops combined.

The appearance is almost a sunset orange my favorite colors on a DIPA.

No taste of the 8% abv and that super bitter hop bite or spice that sometimes turns your average beer drinker off to ipas, which is why I think this beer is so highly rated.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Not much more to say than what's already been said; this is legit. Balanced is the best word to describe; everything - appearance, smell, taste, etc - was just 'right'.

Very hard to find in SD area. I only came upon a bottle when conversating with the beer store clerk about Port's 'Santa's Little Helper' when he let it slip that he had a 'stash' in the back. Curiously, he decided to sell me a bottle...

The shit's good... seek it, drink it, enjoy!

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Have had it several times, but it's my first review of it. Poured out of a bottle into Russian river pint glass. Nice frothy looking head but thinned out fairly quick. Aroma is citrusy, grapefruit, very juicy, has some pine too. Tastes like the nose. very smooth and well balanced with the malt. Dont taste any of the alcohol. Overall, I think this is a fantastic DIPA, one of the first and best of its kind. Though slightly overrated, I think the high rating reflects the fact that this came out before most of the newer solid DIPAs in its class. I definitely don't think it's a top 5 beer , or even a top 5 DIPA anymore, but I'm sure it was both of these things just a few years ago. Now that competition in the DIPA arena has gotten tighter, there are so many other worthy competitors to pliny.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company