Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

4.6

Ratings: 14,491 |  Reviews: 3,698

3.5/5  rDev -23.9%

4.29/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My big thanks to my good friend Derek for bringing this bottle back from Cali for me.
Poured into a Prohibition Pig snifter and split with my wife.
Appearance is a really nice medium amber, clear and clean with one finger of white frothy head.
Smell was moderate hops with a base of light roasted malts.
Taste was a very clean, very nicely balanced flavor of hops (non citrusy) and lightly roasted malts.
Mouthfeel was clean, crisp and refreshing.
Overall, this is a very well crafted beer.

Being a Vermonter and drinking Heady, Double Sunshine and Hill Farmstead's IPAs on a regular basis I feel my palate is a bit different than many others who may view Pliny as possibly the best beer in the world. I feel Pliny was delicious and very well crafted. However, my palate felt that the hop presence was insufficient and the complexity I was hoping would be there, frankly was largely missing.

I don't believe all DIPAs need to be hop bombs, not at all. But I was hoping Pliny would have a similar hop presence to some of my Vermont DIPAs. I found Pliny's hop presence to be very mild in comparison. I feel Pliny the Elder has a profile similar to some of the more mild Stone IPAs than the Vermont IPAs I drink more regularly.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.47/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Smells like cannabis in a glass when fresh. Not worth drinking if it's more than a month old. So much fresh hops in here to count or even make sense of.

Pliny has long been regarded as the best Double IPA around, however competition is fierce this days and there are more than a few breweries that can give it a run for it's money (Alpine, Societe...)

Bottom line, Pliny will always hold a special place in our hearts because it was the first and it is a damn good beer.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.15/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle sent in a trade - 11/15/13 bottled on date.

Appearance: Pours a clear filtered orange/golden color with a finger of a white head.

Smell: Smells dank. 3 week old bottle. Sweet juicy hops, citrus, grapefruit, bread. It doesn't jump out of the glass but it's all there.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose. It's not bursting with flavor but it's very balanced and that's what I like about it. It's not very bitter (a plus for me). Just really well rounded.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel. No booze at all in the taste.

Overall: Overall, a really great balanced IPA. Is it the best IPA ever? Nope. But it's really good.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company