Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

4.65/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 14,530 |  Reviews: 3,703

4.41/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a golden yellow color with a 2 finger head.
Best head retention on a beer I've ever seen.
Aroma is pine and grass, sticky and potent.
Flavor is grapefruit, pine and grassy, bitter n the front end and crisp.
Mouthfeel is nicely balanced and carbonated.
Solid but over rated n my opinion

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Aggressive pour yields a nice thick head that lingers as a 1 cm head forever. Love the look...this is where Pliny excels vs HT. Really nice clean golden hue. Perfect look for a double IPA.

Smell- Big citrus bomb with a nice resiny piney type smell. A hop head's dream in here.

Taste- Like Heady, wave after wave of hoppy deliciousness. A couple waves of piney hop bitterness only to be taken away by a balance of bready sweetness. A bit of alcohol in the finish, doesn't diminish the beer though.

moutheel- Clean, I can easily polish off two or three pints of this before I realize what hit me. Nice dryness on the mouth begs for another sip.

Overall- The quintessential west coast double IPA for a reason. Every hop head needs to try this at least once in their lifetime. I believe I do prefer eastern style a bit more, but this is fantastic overall. A top 10 double IPA for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -24.7%

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.29/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My big thanks to my good friend Derek for bringing this bottle back from Cali for me.
Poured into a Prohibition Pig snifter and split with my wife.
Appearance is a really nice medium amber, clear and clean with one finger of white frothy head.
Smell was moderate hops with a base of light roasted malts.
Taste was a very clean, very nicely balanced flavor of hops (non citrusy) and lightly roasted malts.
Mouthfeel was clean, crisp and refreshing.
Overall, this is a very well crafted beer.

Being a Vermonter and drinking Heady, Double Sunshine and Hill Farmstead's IPAs on a regular basis I feel my palate is a bit different than many others who may view Pliny as possibly the best beer in the world. I feel Pliny was delicious and very well crafted. However, my palate felt that the hop presence was insufficient and the complexity I was hoping would be there, frankly was largely missing.

I don't believe all DIPAs need to be hop bombs, not at all. But I was hoping Pliny would have a similar hop presence to some of my Vermont DIPAs. I found Pliny's hop presence to be very mild in comparison. I feel Pliny the Elder has a profile similar to some of the more mild Stone IPAs than the Vermont IPAs I drink more regularly.

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%