Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,491 |  Reviews: 3,698

4.58/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours cloudy golden. Smells of flowers and green leaves. Initially tastes very light and fresh then the hops come in with weight only to quickly move to a smooth buttery taste and feel. Finishes with strong delicious hops. Pliny is fantastic fresh and is highly encouraged to be consumed shortly after bottling for maximum flavor.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Christy and Robert for getting this for me. It has been on my list for a long time and I had it in my refrigerator for a month so I could take the time to review it.

Poured from a 510 ml bottle with the bottled on date (10/3/13) clearly found on the label into a snifter and got 1 finger of head. The bottle says to consume ASAP.

A: Pours a bright golden, copper color and I get 1 finger of dense head the dissipates at a moderate rate and leaves a heavy covering on the top of my glass and the a covering and collar on my glass.

S: Big floral smell from a foot out. Tropical fruit and ruby red grapefruit.

T: Complex. This is not just an onslaught of pine resin; this is an interesting taste of mango, pear, and smooth mild ruby red grapefruit. It is just beautiful and tasty.

M: Refreshing and makes me want another sip. Medium-bodied and highly carbonated. Still, it is more smooth than having the feeling of a spritz.

O: Well, if I lived in the bay area; this would be a staple for me. I would have it often. I like it and recommend it. I don't think it is over-hyped like Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is. This is a world-class beer!

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.72/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My comparison of Heady and Pliny head to head....

Pliny~~~

Feel 9/10
Drinkability 19/20

Overall 97/100

Head--- Even
Look--- Heady
Smell--- Heady
Taste--- Heady (by a hair)
Feel--- Pliny
Drinkability---Pliny

Summary: Pliny The Elder was a bit more light, crisp and dry... Heady Topper was a bit more sweet, full bodied and well rounded. Had it been a little warmer, I would probably prefer Pliny... Looks like Heady by a hair in my opinion. That said, Pliny makes the perfect warm west coast DIPA!

4.21/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

An amazing IPA. Great nose on this beer. Lots of citrus fruit. The mouth feel is good and I like the ABV at where it is at 8%. I think any higher and you would be able to taste the booze in the beer. I don't think it is as high as quality as Heady Topper or some of the Three Floyd's beer that has been out there, but still a amazing beer.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company