Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

#15

Ratings: 14,596 |  Reviews: 3,710
4.69/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.92/5  rDev +5.8%

4.39/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Edit*

My first review of this beer was just a plain 4.75 score without a written review.

Upon my second tasting of this beer, I have to say that Pliny can seriously suffer in quality based on how it is kept or served.

Pliny is Pliny, and if you've had it before, you know how good it can be.

Both times I had it, it was on tap at special beer events. The first time I had it, about three weeks ago, it was juicy, citrusy, hoppy, and delicious. The second time I had it, yesterday, a lot of the hop profile that made it so amazing had deteriorated. As I understand it, both pours came from the same batch at Russian River, and both pours were from recently tapped kegs. Nonetheless, yesterday's pour was significantly worse. It had all of the same hop and initial flavors at the fore, but it had lost so much if its special quality off the back end.

It was still good, but it wasn't better than the uber-fresh Victory Dirtwolf that I had it side-by-side with. For a pour of Pliny, it was honestly disappointing.

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.84/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: light golden color, about a finger of head which stuck around nicely

S: let me preface by saying I tried this at a campsite on a perfect warm fall day. Like the pines around me I was hit with pine and soft fruit.

T: wow very nice. Strong woodsy flavor followed by the taste of the grain. The farthest from harsh it could be. Perfect carbonation, just an experience that is especially rare in my parts

M: cliche, but smooth, meaning that from fist sip to aftertaste is extremely pleasant. This beer lingers long enough to remember why you specially requested it.

4.67/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on: 9/30/13. Drank on: 10/4/13.

Poured into a pint glass. Color was a beautiful golden orange . Small carbonation bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass, evenly distributed throughout the beer.

The beer smells like you are walking through a pine forest in the early morning and hints at the amazing, complex taste that is about to follow. Smells like dank, resiny-pine, with sweet fruity notes. I let it sit for a while and the smell of alcohol became more noticeable.

Upon the first taste, I receive an immediate blast of pine & citrus, with a smooth, somewhat bitter, finish on the back of my palate. As I continued to taste, the bitterness faded and Pliny became smoother, fruitier & the booze more noticeable. The amazing taste lingers on the palate and leaves you wanting just one more taste.

Pliny the Elder is a MUST-TRY for any craft beer fan.

EXCELLENT beer.