Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

#15

Ratings: 14,601 |  Reviews: 3,711

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Made a friend of mine go 100 miles out of his way on his California trip just to get me this!

I believe it lives up to the hype. They balanced it perfect - not too bitter/not too sweet...you definitely cannot tell its 8%. I've had my good share of DIPAs and this honestly ranks in top. The pine, citrus & grapefruit will grab your attention and you will not want to put down your glass!

Now I must try Russian River's other offerings...

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Mmmmm mmm mmm. Still unbeatably balanced! Sure, there are a lot of other more EXTREME DIPA's and even IPA's out there now, but Pliny is just so damn drinkable, and consistent, every single time. It really took until the second or third time I had it to really appreciate it against all the other hoppy beers I've had. Actually, the first time I had it ON TAP, at the brewpub, was the real revelation for me. The hops are full of both citrus and pine aromas and flavors and each sip allows you to taste a different part of this beer's magnificence. And the crazy thing is that this is the THIRD-BEST Russian River beer I've tried (behind PtY and Supplication)!

4.92/5  rDev +5.8%

This is hands down one of my favorite beers. Being am IPA fan it's hard to get any better than Pliny. The hoppy grapefruit finish is amazing. Great aroma, taste, color how can it get any better. I have had this from a bottle and at the brewery restaurant in Santa Rosa and there is no better IPA in my opinion.

Do yourself a favor and travel to Santa Rosa and visit the birth place of this wonderful beer. Get the taster flight (20 Russian River beers), you will not be sorry.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company