Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

4.6

Ratings: 14,487 |  Reviews: 3,698
4.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - filtered golden deliciousness.

S - initial aroma is pine and resin, but it quickly blossoms into a lightly sweet, deeply fruit smell. Mango, papaya, pineapple.

T - bright floral punch with a hidden dankness in the back. Alcohol punches through and resonates the flavor throughout my entire sinus structure. More tropical fruits balanced by a drying bitterness. Grapefruit. Tons of flavor.

F - smooth and silky, but a touch on the light side. Due to the filtration?

O - classically awesome. Amazing how good this beer has held up over more than a decade.

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just hit paydirt when I stopped in at Beerworks in Medford Or. I had given up hope of finding Pliny in bottles, when, what is that over there? It's Pliny the Elder on tap! I walk straight to the bar and can only utter one word,"pliny", which spurs the hippie bartender girl into action as she pours me my first taste of this beer that I have read so much about.

I am not going to dive into comparing the taste to nanner peels and fruits, because I don't know how to do all of that. I will say that this brew lived up to the hype. The most prominent thought that came to my mind was Balance, it was amazingly balanced with a very thorough complexity that made me think "now This is a double ipa!" As others have stated, I could drink this till I got tipsy, it is wonderfully easy to drink, even though it packs a delicious punch!

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company