Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Ratings: 14,380 |  Reviews: 3,682

3.5/5  rDev -23.9%

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer multiple times, thankfully I live in northern ca....it is my favorite beer to date. Finally writing a review after I tried Heady Topper. This beer is amazing and it's a must try for beer enthusiasts and hop heads alike.

A- clean, refined amber/orangish color. Nice 2 finger white head that has nice retention.
S- grapefruit,citrus and pine needles fill my nose. Just an amazing aroma that I wish I could capture. Slight malty sweetness is apparent as well.
T- clean... citrus (particularly grapefruit and tangerine) and pine all come together very nicely....this beer is incredibly drinkable at 8%. Leaves the mouth with a hop bitterness that slowly disapates.
M- perfect balance of hoppy bitterness and slight malt. This finishes by coating your mouth with a thin, citrusy, hoppy aftertaste. I can't explain the flavor bomb this is. Truly a masterpiece.
O- overall the best beer (and double ipa) I have ever had. It is true to the style of the beer, and the execution is simply flawless. These men and ladies are geniuses at Russian River....thank you!

Edit 6/25/15- No longer my favorite DIPA...let alone favorite beer. Change is the only constant in life.

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very great beer. Close to perfect. I've been lucky enough to have had it both on tap and in a bottle. I prefer it on tap, but the bottle is also great. Definitely a must buy whenever it comes around, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a great IPA.

4.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am about 10 miles from their brew pub and have had this many times. Yes, this is a great beer. It is best on tap, but the bottled version is also fantastic. This is my favorite double IPA hands down. I can't give it a solid 5 because I'm still questing after the perfect IPA. And the hype around RRBC is getting way out of hand. Yes, it is fantastic, but the hype turns me off.

A: golden goodness with a good head.

S: tropical fruity, citrus, and pine.

T: like biting into a fresh grapefruit with a lingering pleasant bite.

M: not as heavy as the beer is and is very easy to drink.

O: this is a great double IPA. I drink it frequently and really like this beer. I would give it a 5, but the hype is not attractive. I believe humble people make better beer. However, if you can get a bottle, you will not be disappointed.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company