Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

4.59/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 14,525 |  Reviews: 3,703
4.19/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After traveling 800 miles and visiting 4 Denver liquor stores, I finally struck paydirt. Picked up 3 nice Russian River products...time to determine what all the fuss is about. Starting with Pliny the Elder.

510ml bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A - Poured a nice amber/golden color with a tall fluffy head. Crystal clear. Not very bubbly, but enough to keep things lively. Nice spread of lacing that clung to the glass.

S - Immediate and distict hoppy hit to the nose...notes of pine, sweet malt, yeasty bread. I detected woody/earthy notes..perhaps some tart grapefruit back there, too. My palate prepared for an onslaught of hops.

T - The hoppy onslaught never materialized. Very well-balanced mix of complex flavors that melded together beautifully. To be honest, I'm not a fan of hoppy brews, but Pliny is a brew that must be tried at least once. Yes, the hops were there in force, but it didn't overpower all the subtle flavors. I was admittedly intimidated by the reputation of this brew, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected. It finished beautifully, and lived up to its reputation. A perfect mix of hops and citrus flavors.

M - A bit thin, but refreshing. Medium-bodied and dry.

O - Truly a great beer, probably the best DIPA, but that style of beer is not my favorite. I tried it, I liked it, but I'll move on. Honestly, I liked Supplication far better, but that's a question of style, not quality.

4.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -23.7%