Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,377 |  Reviews: 3,682
4.66/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.91/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I may have had this over a year ago when my brother brought one home from Portland, but damn I see what the hype is about. This is a double ipa with major hop flavor and nose; incredible malt backbone, with none of the sticky sweetness that typically characterizes most examples of the style. If you can get it...do it

Great beer, Russian River seems to have it down when it comes to 90 percent of their beers. Pliny the elder is a very smooth hoppy feel. Offers satisfaction throughout the paler providing an array of hops. Pliny the elder provides its uniqueness as well as a great beer overall!

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

3.5/5  rDev -23.9%

3.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow orange with a light and bubbly two and a half fingers of white foam.

Smell: Orange, tangerine, pine, and some earthy spiciness with a bit of sugary sweetness.

Taste: Follows the nose with grapefruit and pine and an earthy, spicy finish. Very well balanced with a little hit of alcohol as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall, this is a really solid double IPA. Currently the third highest rated beer on BeerAdvocate.com, I really had to keep my expectations in check on this one as I had been trying to get my hands on a bottle ever since I became an IPA junkie about a year ago. At first it didn't really blow me away. The aroma, while pleasant, wasn't really unique or particularly outstanding in any way. The taste was similar in that it was certainly enjoyable but nothing terribly interesting or exclusive. But then the beer warmed up a bit and surprisingly revealed itself as the extremely balanced and well-made beer that it is. It's not a hop bomb like so many IPAs released today. Instead, it quietly impresses you with its subtlety and balance. Despite this, I have to admit that it does fall short of the legendary hype but through no fault of it's own. It's still a beautifully made beer that I wound never turn down and if more easily available, would be a staple in my fridge.

4.77/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From bottle. Poured into tulip. This is a great beer, but I don't understand why everyone sees this as a diamond in the rough. I work at a fine wine/craft beer store and get at least 5 calls a day asking if I have any Pliny. There are other things to get excited about. Try some new stuff.

3.78/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Someone brought me this pricy pint-size (seriously?) bottle from CA and I finally got to taste it. Honestly, I was not blown away. Nothing bad, but nothing really stood out either - fairly delicate, but there is not enough taste to keep it interesting. Maybe because it's a few weeks old, though kept in the fridge at all times.

I know DIPA should be had within a few hours on tap, but I've had many better DIPAs that's a month or two old from the bottle. The anticipation was high due to all the hype, but in the end I was very disappointed. Maybe I should have it on tap next time I'm in CA, and will review again.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.32/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev -6.1%

My first time trying Pliny the Elder. This IPA is a must have for all hopheads. Being a hophead myself, I had to try this one.

With it's pine, grapefruit, tangerine hop taste combined with a subtle malt backbone. This beer is something everyone should try at least once.

Maybe it's not the super ultra mega best IPA in the West Coast, but it certainly is one of the best.

BOTTLED ON: 06-06-2013