Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,484 |  Reviews: 3,696

4.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am about 10 miles from their brew pub and have had this many times. Yes, this is a great beer. It is best on tap, but the bottled version is also fantastic. This is my favorite double IPA hands down. I can't give it a solid 5 because I'm still questing after the perfect IPA. And the hype around RRBC is getting way out of hand. Yes, it is fantastic, but the hype turns me off.

A: golden goodness with a good head.

S: tropical fruity, citrus, and pine.

T: like biting into a fresh grapefruit with a lingering pleasant bite.

M: not as heavy as the beer is and is very easy to drink.

O: this is a great double IPA. I drink it frequently and really like this beer. I would give it a 5, but the hype is not attractive. I believe humble people make better beer. However, if you can get a bottle, you will not be disappointed.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Pliny the Elder is the world's best beer in my estimation, and I continue to be stunned at how delicious it is every I time I drink it on tap. In the bottle it's not quite as perfect, but what can you do.

The color is a deep golden hue that implies something more substantive than a pale ale, but your mouth won't know what hit it -- it just blows you away.

The hop balance is nothing short of ideal, and the alcohol lurks just subtly enough that you don't particularly notice it from a flavor perspective, but yeah, the first beer buzz is strong.

I feel sorry for people who can't get it on tap. The bottled version is worthy, but you owe yourself a trip to Santa Rosa or San Francisco area to try it fresh. I'm going to Rose & Crown in Palo Alto today for two pints, and I'm pretty excited.

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

I finally got to try this beer on tap (I live on the East Coast), and while nothing could live up to the hype that this beer gets, it is certainly a fantastic beer.

I'm not a BJCP certified judge by a long shot, but the appearance was a dark gold, with a good one finger head that lasted.

The aroma was the most surprising thing - there wasn't much. What was there was grapefruity and good, but very low aroma - maybe that has to do with it not being as fresh as possible since I'm in the East.

The taste was where this beer really shined - it didn't knock your socks off with hops; it wasn't overly malty - a picture of this beer should be in the dictionary entry for "balanced". As soon as I put the glass down, I wanted another sip - perfectly drying finish.

Mouthfeel was perfect - not too "thick", nor too thin. Carbonation seemed low, but not inappropriately so. An extremely quaffable beer, which isn't easy to say about many DIPAs.

Overall, a fantastic beer. I'm very happy that I got to cross it off my Beer Bucket list, and will certainly keep an eye out for it in the future...

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had to travel out west to finally try this beer. It was great. I don’t know if it is possible to live up to the hype that it receives but certainly a damn good beer. Definitely possessed some of the best balance I've seen in a double IPA. Would like to see this become more available on the east coast for sure.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company