Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,494 |  Reviews: 3,699
4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

Favorite brew, about time I gave this one a full review.

A: Beautiful yellow gold. Two fingers of pure white foamy, sticky, lacy head. Constant stream of carbonation. Completely clear, no haze, chill or otherwise. The only fault I can find in it is the bottle and its Comic Sans font (dear god Russian River please ditch the font!)

S: Could smell this one as I started pouring the glass. Smells like opening a fresh bag of hops. Mostly pine I'd say, with strong citrus swirling around with it. Pine needles, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango, little sweetness on the back end. It makes my mouth water. I could smell this all day.

T: Malt sweetness hits the front of the tongue, transitioning in those pure hop flavors I listed in the middle, and quenches on the back end with a dry bitterness. The bitterness cleans up after the hop assault, but isn't lingering. No alcohol at all. Completely and dangerously drinkable.

M: Carbonation keeps things from getting too heavy and bites in the back of the mouth to compliment the hop bitterness. Not too heavy, not too light.

O: I can still say this is my favorite beer. As I said in my review for Heady, the two beers are completely different animals, and are perfect in their own ways. This will always be my go-to, and IMO sets the standard for West Coast DIPAs. Well done, RR.

4.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

3.28/5  rDev -28.7%

Did a tasting of this at work when a customer brought some back from America. Had it about a month after it had been bottled.

Pours a clear copper, white head with average retention.

On the nose some pine, citrus - mainly grapefruit.

Not actually hugely bitter like I've heard about. Slightly thin mouthfeel.

I don't get all of the hype for this beer, I've had far better DIPAs and why should the quality fade so quickly unlike some other great IPAs I've head, maybe because it's filtered.

Disappointed after seeing such high praise for it, I'd prefer Phillips Amnesiac or Stone Ruination any day of the week.

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

4.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company