Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

4.6

Ratings: 14,453 |  Reviews: 3,694
4.57/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's fortunately pretty accessible in California, so I've had it on tap and in bottles numerous times.

A - Light, relatively clear golden color.

S - Inviting mix of fresh hops and citrus.

T - The strong hop profile comes through immediately along with relatively muted hints of the citrus. The finish is dry and slightly bitter, but less so than some other DIPAs (such as Heady Topper). The overall balance in flavors is incredible.

M - Well-carbonated and easy to keep drinking.

O - After having this multiple times, I completely understand why this beer has been the gold standard for DIPAs. There are bold hops flavors but the emphasis on balance is awesome.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I am filling this out from memory.
So, forgive me. But this beer isn't that memorable.
This beer had an excellent full but light mouth feel. A great medium bodied beer.
The color was on the lighter side of red-gold. More gold really.
It had aged a bit and this could be why it wasn't as memorable. The florals had dropped a bit but there faint echoes of it.
I consider this a great beer. But, personally, not my favorite.

4.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: A nice clear amber-ish gold, with a good white head that leave nice lacing

Smell: Fragrant pine and floral hops, with some light malts

Taste: Piney, floral, and the right amount of bitterness. At only 15 days old, I can taste why this is best fresh. You also get some biscuit and fruit in there. Very complex. Semi-dry finish. No hints at the 8% abv. It would be easy to go for another if circumstances permitted.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation

Overall: A world class beer, but for me, not worth the difficulty to obtain. I can get plenty of satisfying DIPAs for much less effort, that are almost as good.

3.5/5  rDev -23.9%

4.56/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a great tasting smooth beer with well defined hops and a terrific aroma of honey, citrus, and grapefruit. I tried it at DLD 2013 from a generous pour while waiting in line. The beer was well carbonated and a great refreshing summer beer with hops that don't linger longer than necessary.

4.87/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Finally got the elusive Pliny! (I'm on the East Coast) Trading is the only way to do it out here. Traded 3 Heady Toppers for 2 Plinys... I think its equitable and I was very happy with it.

A - Very light straw color, beautiful light golden color. Good two fingers of head and good lacing. I was told that the color is quite deceptive, which it very much is.

S - Light citrus and flowery notes. Earth tones come through bigtime here, as well as the hops. Quite piney, just a great outdoorsy auroma.

T - Sweet, but not too sweet. Extremely nice balance of hops and citrus, both making themselves very present, yet not over the top (although there my not be such a thing!). I get a little grapefruit coming through, it is so very refreshing and crisp, the earthiness is present here too.

M - So smooth on the palate its ridiculous. A buttery smoothness that ends with a lingering resiny aftertaste.

O - Leaves me wishing I could sit down and drink it on tap all night. The shame is that I have to savor every drop, and think about every sip, would love to be able to just have a few pints while watching some sports at the bar. Overall excellent beer that lived up to all of the hype.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company