Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

#15

Ratings: 14,779 |  Reviews: 3,733

3.75/5  rDev -19.4%

3.28/5  rDev -29.5%

Did a tasting of this at work when a customer brought some back from America. Had it about a month after it had been bottled.

Pours a clear copper, white head with average retention.

On the nose some pine, citrus - mainly grapefruit.

Not actually hugely bitter like I've heard about. Slightly thin mouthfeel.

I don't get all of the hype for this beer, I've had far better DIPAs and why should the quality fade so quickly unlike some other great IPAs I've head, maybe because it's filtered.

Disappointed after seeing such high praise for it, I'd prefer Phillips Amnesiac or Stone Ruination any day of the week.

3.75/5  rDev -19.4%

4.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.1/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from bottle into a glass , a yellowish brown color to it with a 1/2 finger white head that stays around for the ride to the bottom

The nose on this thing is wonderful , the hops are really popping out , a little piney , some citrus and some earthy overtones. The malt is in there too , blended in and somewhat hidden but just enough to let you know its there

The taste is just Wow , this beer is better than I was expecting , I was thinking most of it was hype , but now I know all of it is flavor. Not the big hob bomb I was thinking , but very hop foward , very bitter and to me just sweet enough with a malty finish and the alcohol is hidden well , the mouth is on the verge of being a little weak for me but not enough to hurt the profile of the brew

Overall I'm glad I scored this beer in a trade , it really is to me the best DIPA that I have had , there are a few I think that stand down the podium from it but this is what all DIPA's should be judged by

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Oh Pliny. We've enjoyed each other for a while now; time to give you the full review.

A: Very clear, dark straw color. Pours with about a finger of white medium size head. While the head does dissipate into a nice bubble film rather quickly, it leaves behind a very nice, sticky lacing of micro bubbles.

S: A very balanced impression of grape fruit zest/sweetness, malty breads, and bitter hops. The beauty here is in how well balanced everything is.

T: Similar to the smell, the taste's strength is in its balance. It start with grapefruit sour/citrus, before moving on to moderate bready malts, but finishes with moderate+ bitter/piney hops. Very enjoyable, with no hint of alcohol at 8% abv. This is not news to anyone, but this brew defines the textbook IPA.

M: Medium- body, and a little quicker and less sticky than some IPAs. Mouthfeel usually determines how many brews I can enjoy in a session, and this brew gives me the option to enjoy a second (or third) if I care to. Carbonation is great.

O: This beer gets very high reviews for very good reasons. Lots of brews focus on single areas, but this one excels in all areas of the taste (the initial sweetness, the bready mid-tastes, and the hop finish.) It does all this without tasting boozy and the smell accurately represents the taste. All of this is accomplished with a mouthfeel that doesn't fatigue the drinker. In my book, this is a win; I enjoy drinking Pliny, and I'll always enjoy another.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company