Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

3.75/5  rDev -18.5%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

4.22/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I had two on tap in Philly. Very excited when the waitress mentioned it, because like many, I thought I might never get to taste it. This beer has a golden-red, rather clear hue. A small white head. An amazing citrus smell that you know is gonna taste good, just from one sniff. Taste is very crisp, refreshing, and citrusy. Grapefruit mostly, with medium body. Could drink a lot of these in a single sitting. I still give an edge to Gandhi Bot as slightly better tasting, because as a local, I have my biases =), but I liked Pliny so much, I thought I would add to the chorus of complimentary reviews. Worth the hype in my opinion, of course I was lucky and didn't have to wait in a line or trade to get a taste, very fortunate on my part. Right bar, right time.

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 3/8/13
Enjoyed on 3/30/13
Poured into FFF Teku glass

Appearance - Pours a nice, deep golden yellow. Quite bubbly. Almost 3 fingers of thick cream foam. Thick lacing.

Smell - Dank citrus hops. A little bit tropical. A little bit grassy.

Taste - Massive! Bitter up front but not over the top. Quickly transitions into crisp smooth citrus with some earthy grass notes and bold pine. Alcohol? What alcohol? This is a top notch blend. So nice to taste an IIPA that has bold flavor yet at the same time is super smooth and a pleasure to drink.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, light/med carbonation, Super clean finish. Awesome.

Overall - Lives up to the hype. Excellent quality, smooth drinker. Can't wait to get more of this.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%

I live a block from a bar that has this on tap and I have it at least once a week. Hands down, a fantastic beer. Just a lighter version of the Younger and less malt. Great balance of malt character and fresh hops. I'm really luck to live a block from the fountain of PtE.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company