Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

4.65/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 14,531 |  Reviews: 3,703
4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Had this at the Urban Tavern in the Hilton Union Square in San Francisco a few weeks ago. Very easy to drink. Hints of pine and citrus with a perfect balance. This I felt was a medium body work of art. Appearance is a fire orange. A must have if you can find it.

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've tried several Plinys now, and not one has been bad. Great IPA. Has a great, refreshing smell to it. Pours a light white/yellow head. Very citrusy and bubbley too, also has a really clean, crisp taste. Light orange in appearance. Beautiful lacing.

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16 oz bomber into a tulip glass. Acquired a few of these from two different trades on the same day. Thanks h2k2c and frizzzle for hooking me up! Bottled 1/25/13, less than a month ago. Allowed to warm as I drank it, served fresh out of the fridge.

A- Pours a crystal clear golden body with minimal rising carbonation, a small 1/2 inch head rises and falls quickly and reduces to a few foamy bubbles surrounded by a white ring.

S- Super fruity and juicy upfront. Smells like I Just stuck my nose into a can full of tangerines. Grapefruit, orange, citrus, tropical fruits dominate with a slight resinous hop oil aroma in the background. The aroma is pungent and forward - the second I opened the bottle my personal space was saturated with the delicious aroma. I wish I could bottle it.

T- Upfront I'm hit with a nice balance of juicy, tropical, piney hoppyness and a solid but not too heavy malt backbone. This develops into a subtle stickyness that sticks on the tongue for a few moments.

M- Medium carbonation, medium body. Easy to drink.

Wow.. my first PtE. My first thoughts were that this is a very impressive DIPA - I can see why it is ranked what it is. At the same time, it is gaining some pretty fierce competitors. First example: Lagunitas sucks, a beer with a very similar hop profile and a clear filtered character, which is more readily available and less hyped up (which is probably why it has lower ratings). Another example would by heady topper, which in a side by side test would defeat PtE in my opinion. It's raw, unfiltered character gives it the one-up on PtE. Don't get me wrong, this is an EXCELLENT DIPA worth trying and I'm jealous of those who can get it on the regzzz.

4.46/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle 1-25

A: light amber, caramel color, very clear.

S; pine, citrus, and grapefruit, caramel

T: bitter,grapefruit, lemon, earthy hops, piney goodness, gamut of hops with a sweet caramel backbone.

M: bitter and dry. but sweet at the same time.

O: glad i got to try this, im willing to trade for more.

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottled 3 weeks ago. Served at 50 degrees F.

Crystal clear straw colored beer. Thick, snow white head. Retention is great, as well as lacing. Head fades slowly, and some remains throughout the duration of the drinking experience.

A balance of malt and hops in the aroma. Hop aroma is a blend of typical American hop varieties. Floral, fruit, and citrus. I expected a more pungent hop-forward aroma, but I'm not complaining. It has a certain subtle soft sweetness that's very, very good.

Absolutely perfect blend of malt and hops in the flavor. Soft and sweet at first, then spicy and bitter. Slight alcohol, but not what you'd expect for 8% ABV.

Mouthfeel is spot-on! Soft, pleasant carbonation. Medium bodied, spicy, bitter, lingering finish. Perfect.

I obtained this fantastic beer from a great trader on Reddit. This is my first time trying Pliny. I feel like it definitely lives up to the hype. The balance is what really makes this beer better than the rest.

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 510 ml bottle to a pint glass

A:poures a deep golden color with about a 2 finger head with verry nice laceing a beautyfull beer

S:sour citrus hoppy,little bit of grapefruit but not as much as I exspected

T: same as it smells but not sweet at all verry smooothe for an dipa. Nice hops a lil grape fruit citrus. But verry smooth and u get a lil bit of hop bitterness at the end what a damn good beer :-)

M:mouth watering good every time I drink it I want another drink so good

Overall I think it meets all the hype got this from my buddy at my beer shop pulled it from the back just for me I was so happy and its so fresh barley 13 days old what a damn good beer I will drink this one again its so good

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

4.48/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2 days shy of a month old and I can tell it is a bit less vibrant.

A: Crystal clear gold with a substantial foamy white head. Great retention and lacing. Just gorgeous

S: Biggest components: juicy sweet grapefruit, big pine, decently resinous. Assortment of other ripe fruits and caramel sweetness.

T: Not as intricate as the nose, but still delicious. Mildly bitter, sweeter than expected. Grapefruit, pine. Very dry

P: Incredibly smooth and refreshing. Light to medium body with fitting carbonation. Leaves a great fresh hop taste in your mouth. Very dry

O: So glad I finally got to try this iconic and historically important beer; but, judging as just a beer it is excellent, plain and simple. Would love to have a few 500ml bottles in the fridge at all times, but so is life.

I was lucky enough a couple weeks ago to try this for the first time along with several other world class beers at the same sitting (2010 kbs for instance), and it delivered the goods.

The aroma was sublime.

The taste was flat out delicious

This experience was so good that it makes me sad that I will be moving from Philly.

4.73/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

510ml bottle into a tulip. bottled on 7/22/13 consumed on 8/1/13

Pours a crisp, rich golden color with a nice inch and a half lingering white head with superb lacing. Hard to imagine a better looking IPA. Smell is BIG on fruity hops, but not an overwhelming hop bomb. Its extremely pleasant. Taste is so smooth. Tad of bitterness at first just so you know youre drinking an IPA, followed by an explosion of hoppy flavor. Pineapple and pine are the dominating flavors. Great smoothness and malt presence here too. Perfectly balanced. This is criminally easy to drink. Crazy that this is 8% because its something you would never get tired of drinking. Goes down so easy with no lingering bitterness whatsoever. Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall its probably my favorite IPA. I just love the balance and i return to this again and again. Not overly sweet like some, not overly bitter like most, just right. With a great dry finish too. Perfect. Even though i live on the other side of the country, ive had this IPA more than a dozen different times. I just cant get enough of it and will never tire of it.

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%