Pliny The Elder | Russian River Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

#15

Ratings: 14,842 |  Reviews: 3,744
4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

I've had this many times in the bottle and on tap over the years...it's considered a standard for the double IPA category.
On tap at Cheeky Monk...ours a yellow gold with small head.
Significant carbonation and mouthfeel.
Aromas and taste of pine resin, white grapefruit, flowery hops, modest alcohol, black pepper, straw, grapefruit rind. All and all a very flavorful and satisfying brew

Made it Russian River on 1-30-13, 2 days before Younger was released, the most well balanced beer I've had, it was so dank on tap, I'm in love with it and have some being shipped to me now...thank god for friends that love beer as much as I do...trying to see if I can get to Philly to try younger...

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best beer have ever had.

A: Golden color. Head pours as heavy as the user wishes.

S: Incredible hop smell to start. No secrets about this beers intentions

T: Hops explode from start to finish. Incredibly balanced considering the overwhelming hop flavors; certainly no malt character to hang your hat on, but there's just enough to keep the hops from completely overtaking all senses.

M: Perfect texture- unrivaled by any beer I've ever had.

O: Hard to beat- incredibly balanced for a beer that offers such a hop experience.

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 2/19/13, bought from Fred at Beverages 4 Less. Big thanks Freddy. You're the man.

A: Pours a deep golden yellowish, light orange color. Completely translucent. 2-3 finger head that begins as a fizzy consistency and quickly turns to silky. Fades into nice ring and laces the glass wonderfully.

S: Hop forward for sure. A little malt character, but it's definitely faint. Slightly bitter. Very fruity - grapefruit rind, mango, and some wofts of what almost comes off as papaya.

T: Follows the nose exactly. Very hoppy, without much malt taste at all. Not overly bitter, but some bitterness that comes off like citrusy grapefruit bitterness. Some citrus sweetness as well.

M: Surprisingly light for the 8% ABV. High carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing. Extremely drinkable.

O: I am not sure how it could get much better than this one. If it were possible to have a bunch of bottles of this laying around, it could get dangerous. It's amazingly smooth, crisp, and refreshing. I love the hop character without being very malty or bitter. I'm can sometimes be a cynic when it comes to overly hyped beers, but this one lived up to the hype.

4.65/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.99/5  rDev +7.3%

A...pours clear, honey yellow with a white fluffy head. Lots of vey sticky lacing down glass.

S...wish I could rate the smell higher than a 5. Lots of floral smell at first, like a bouquet of fresh flowers. Then there is wonderful pine resin scent in here. I just want to push my nose right into this brew it smells incredible.

T...wow! I didn't think this could live up to the hype but it does. Hop head paradise. Every bit of that great nose is in the taste and then some. Lots of hops right up front that have a punch in the mouth bitterness without the over done malts like a lot of DIPAs. It gets a peppery tingle in your mouth before letting into an earhty pine flavor and finishes quick and crisp.

M...perfectly done. Carbo is just right and gives it a light mouthfeel even with such a full taste.

O...this is right on the money. It is hard to be better than this. I thaught I would be let down after finally tracking down this exceptionally rated brew but, I was not. Every bit as great as I would have hoped. I love this beer and can't wait for my next chance to drink it.

4.32/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Finally writing a review for Pliny. poured it into a pint glass from bottle. Bottled about a week ago.
First thing you notice: this beer is CLEAR! A darker straw color with absolutely no haze and a pretty small head. The smell is hoppy, but not really in your face. Very much towards the citrus side of things, which I appreciate!
Taste is just like the smell, reasonably hoppy with grapefruit/pineapple and a bit of pine. The balance of hops to malt will (and does) impress a lot of people, but I could use more hops here. Feels great in your mouth, though I think it could use a tad more body to it (just my personal tastes).
Overall, it's an impressive beer. I'm not quite sure why it gets compared to Heady Topper so much as they're very different. Heady is hazy, resiny and just blasts you with hop aroma and taste. This is more subtle. It's about a lot of great flavors mixed together with skill and subtlety and while I could drink this one with regularity, I think the days of it being at the top of the DIPA crowd are about over.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company